C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel hop

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 04:39 PM
Fifedogg
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by meanjoe
I have Michelin PSS non run flats, DRM Bilstein's and all stock mounts. Not even lowered, but sometimes when I get on it it'll shake like crazy???
I've been getting really bad wheel hop and have broken 3 axles already. Only thing I haven't swapped out yet are the DRM bilstein's. I'm going to try and install stock shocks back on in the rear and see if that changes anything. Mounts are good/new, Diff was freshly rebuilt etc. Only thing I think it can be at this point is the Shocks I'm running...
Old 03-02-2015, 05:41 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Fifedogg
I've been getting really bad wheel hop and have broken 3 axles already. Only thing I haven't swapped out yet are the DRM bilstein's. I'm going to try and install stock shocks back on in the rear and see if that changes anything. Mounts are good/new, Diff was freshly rebuilt etc. Only thing I think it can be at this point is the Shocks I'm running...
I bet your engine mounts are junk. Do you see rusty looking stain around them on the frame?

It may not be the answer, but you have to start somewhere.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:00 PM
0aFe POWER
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you need a beefier transmission mount. It's a common problem to snap the rear half shafts on the C5/C6's because of the soft trans mount. They put such a strain on them and the rear diff that they cause issues. This effect is amplified when you launch your car hard and or add more power to it. Eventually something has to give. We are soon selling the upgraded transmission mount, if you were interested.

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...dt&brandID=142
Old 03-03-2015, 10:11 AM
Fifedogg
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by timd38
I bet your engine mounts are junk. Do you see rusty looking stain around them on the frame?

It may not be the answer, but you have to start somewhere.
Brand New motor mounts were put in the car the first time I broke an axle.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:12 AM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

I guess you can eliminate them!
Old 03-03-2015, 11:19 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I haven't seen motor mounts cause wheel hop, or even transrear mounts, now shocks tires and rear a arm bushings can
Old 03-03-2015, 02:42 PM
0aFe POWER
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not engine mounts entirely maybe trans mounts. Being the trans, and differential is about a one piece design, that tends to cause the weakest link in the driveline. The axles in this case, are prone to break when given a few good drag racing runs or add just adding more power. Check your shocks and see if they are leaking or just plain old, but from the experience we have seen with these corvette's we have seen a lot of axles break because of the soft trans and engine mounts causing issues.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:12 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Originally Posted by aFe POWER
Not engine mounts entirely maybe trans mounts. Being the trans, and differential is about a one piece design, that tends to cause the weakest link in the driveline. The axles in this case, are prone to break when given a few good drag racing runs or add just adding more power. Check your shocks and see if they are leaking or just plain old, but from the experience we have seen with these corvette's we have seen a lot of axles break because of the soft trans and engine mounts causing issues.
I cant believe that, as the independent suspension moves more then any mount would. and cv joints would take care of any movement so you get the
Old 03-03-2015, 04:17 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by aFe POWER
I never had wheel hop issues with my stock mounts until the motor mounts started leaking and then had hop issues again when one of my Pfadt coilovers broke on the rear. I replaced with LG Bilstiens and the hop is gone again.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:18 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 776 Likes on 505 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
I haven't seen motor mounts cause wheel hop, or even transrear mounts, now shocks tires and rear a arm bushings can
While broken motor mounts definitely wouldn't be a major cause of wheel hop, I do believe it can have an effect nevertheless.

A few years ago I had a frequent problem with my exhaust on the left side where the rear of the mid-pipe connects to the pipe that goes over the axle. About half the time when the car launched the two pipes would become separated and by the end of the run I thought I had blown the engine given how loud the resulting noise was.

At first I thought I hadn't tightened the pipe enough but it kept on happening. As it turns out both of my motor mounts had torn and were causing the engine to flex enough and separate those two pipes. Once the mounts were fixed I've never the problem hasn't ever happened again.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:08 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Originally Posted by timd38
I never had wheel hop issues with my stock mounts until the motor mounts started leaking and then had hop issues again when one of my Pfadt coilovers broke on the rear. I replaced with LG Bilstiens and the hop is gone again.
sounds like the shock, I have hundreds of passes 39,000 miles of them car is 10 years old same motor mounts trans mount axles broke one and replaced one when the car was new from wheel hop got rid of the runflats and wheel hop was cured had it one more time changed shocks went away never came back
Old 03-03-2015, 07:15 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
While broken motor mounts definitely wouldn't be a major cause of wheel hop, I do believe it can have an effect nevertheless.

A few years ago I had a frequent problem with my exhaust on the left side where the rear of the mid-pipe connects to the pipe that goes over the axle. About half the time when the car launched the two pipes would become separated and by the end of the run I thought I had blown the engine given how loud the resulting noise was.

At first I thought I hadn't tightened the pipe enough but it kept on happening. As it turns out both of my motor mounts had torn and were causing the engine to flex enough and separate those two pipes. Once the mounts were fixed I've never the problem hasn't ever happened again.
so has mine until I tack welded them, but never had wheel hop when they fell off but did scare the crap out of me the first time on the highway run, I even had the front of the axel back come off the x pipe coming home from the track one night it was digging into the road lifting the car had to stop quick and back up off to the shoulder and back onto some boards to push it back on

Quick Reply: Wheel hop