C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks header install, have questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 06:03 PM
kedar
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Kooks header install, have questions

There seem to be a lot of header threads so I thought I would start my own. I have Kooks 1 7/8 headers ready for install on my 2010 ls3 narrow body vette. I will have a local shop do the install including hinson motor mounts. My questions:

It appears that Kooks' extra bung for a wideband is on the x pipe on the passenger side. Am I right? I had a bung welded to my factory exhaust on the drivers side upstream of the catalytic converter. My understanding is that the wideband o2 sensor for air fuel ratio should be on the drivers side because that is the leaner side, and in any event, upstream of the cats. If the Kooks bung is on the passenger side, is that what you guys are using for wideband o2 sensor? Should I have the installer weld a bung on the drivers side?

Should the installer cap the rear sensor bungs and not install the rear factory o2 sensors? With or without the rear o2 factory sensors I'll likely get a code without a tune.

Finally, I am not rushing to have the vette tuned (FI is hopefully coming in 2015). Is this a mistake? Am I asking for trouble? My understanding is that without a tune the car will run rich and I won't be extracting all of the potential from the headers.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:56 PM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by kedar
There seem to be a lot of header threads so I thought I would start my own. I have Kooks 1 7/8 headers ready for install on my 2010 ls3 narrow body vette. I will have a local shop do the install including hinson motor mounts. My questions:

It appears that Kooks' extra bung for a wideband is on the x pipe on the passenger side. Am I right? I had a bung welded to my factory exhaust on the drivers side upstream of the catalytic converter. My understanding is that the wideband o2 sensor for air fuel ratio should be on the drivers side because that is the leaner side, and in any event, upstream of the cats. If the Kooks bung is on the passenger side, is that what you guys are using for wideband o2 sensor? Should I have the installer weld a bung on the drivers side?

Should the installer cap the rear sensor bungs and not install the rear factory o2 sensors? With or without the rear o2 factory sensors I'll likely get a code without a tune.

Finally, I am not rushing to have the vette tuned (FI is hopefully coming in 2015). Is this a mistake? Am I asking for trouble? My understanding is that without a tune the car will run rich and I won't be extracting all of the potential from the headers.
The Kooks 1 7/8" LT's I had installed on my '08 Corvette had 02 sensor holes. The guys that installed & tuned my car just bolted up the 02 holes and did the wideband tuning. No issues w/the install or tune what so ever. Delete the rear O2's is my recommendation. My '08 Corvette was stout.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:10 PM
kedar
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '12

Is the extra kooks bung on the passenger side?
Old 01-19-2015, 02:22 PM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Is the extra kooks bung on the passenger side?
Both headers have the 'bungs' for O2 sensors right at the merge collecter for both driver side & passenger side. The installer bolted them closed somewhere between the beginning & the end of installation & tuning. The supplied O2 extenders that came w/the headers were never used.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:34 PM
KOOKS Headers
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for choosing Kooks Headers. The O2 Bungs have always been welded on the passenger side. We have never seen an major difference with wide band tuning varying from side to side.

As for keeping the rear O2 sensors turned on, if you are running our 49 state legal GREEN cats these can be left on. With the standard race cats these will need to be adjusted or turned off in the tune.

Good luck and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Keep Kookin' with Kooks!
Old 01-23-2015, 12:01 PM
kedar
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '12

I just had the Kooks 1 7/8 headers installed and will answer some of my own questions.

Big disappointment, the Kooks' extra bung for a wide band o2 sensor is on the passenger side. It should be on the driver's side because the number 7 cylinder is known to run lean. Kooks should change the bung placement. As a remedy, I had an extra welded in on the driver's side.

My computer was not tuned, the CEL is less annoying than I thought it would be. Running the headers now without a tune. If anything, the car will run rich until the computer is tuned.

The rear factory narrowband o2 sensor was not installed and the bung was capped off. Anyone doing the install should think about buying two stainless steel plugs in advance.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:49 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Default monitor both sides

I just had the Kooks 1 7/8 headers installed and will answer some of my own questions.

Big disappointment, the Kooks' extra bung for a wide band o2 sensor is on the passenger side. It should be on the driver's side because the number 7 cylinder is known to run lean. Kooks should change the bung placement. As a remedy, I had an extra welded in on the driver's side.

My computer was not tuned, the CEL is less annoying than I thought it would be. Running the headers now without a tune. If anything, the car will run rich until the computer is tuned.

The rear factory narrowband o2 sensor was not installed and the bung was capped off. Anyone doing the install should think about buying two stainless steel plugs in advance.
leave your 02 harness long enough to periodically run your wideband on either side to monitor A/F for any differences
Old 07-01-2015, 11:56 AM
Godhatesxbox
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you are correct, you car will run rich without the tune. It doesn't know how much oxygen is flowing, your car can mis Fire and also fry the 02s. If you drive it without a tune I would suggest never going more than half throttle.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:17 PM
548chevelle
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by KOOKS Headers
Thank you for choosing Kooks Headers. The O2 Bungs have always been welded on the passenger side. We have never seen an major difference with wide band tuning varying from side to side.

As for keeping the rear O2 sensors turned on, if you are running our 49 state legal GREEN cats these can be left on. With the standard race cats these will need to be adjusted or turned off in the tune.

Good luck and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Keep Kookin' with Kooks!
Aren't the rear O2 sensors only used to monitor the cat temperature? That's why it's called COT - Cat Over Temp. They are also different part numbers than the front sensors. Question for Kooks - can your cats overheat and burn up if there's no rear sensors?

Get notified of new replies

To Kooks header install, have questions

Quick Reply: Kooks header install, have questions