C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modded c6 trying to pass colorado emissions

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 12:42 PM
vettegator005
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Modded c6 trying to pass colorado emissions

I have an 07 base c6 manual with kooks long tube headers b and b exhaust no cats. I understand i need to have cats on to pass the visual test but do they need to be factory cats or can i use high flows? Any suggestions on reputable exhaust shops in northern colorado?
Old 01-26-2015, 02:40 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by vettegator005
I have an 07 base c6 manual with kooks long tube headers b and b exhaust no cats. I understand i need to have cats on to pass the visual test but do they need to be factory cats or can i use high flows? Any suggestions on reputable exhaust shops in northern colorado?
High-flow should be fine. Usually they just look with a mirror to make sure there is a bump where the Cats are...stock, high-flow, or cat pipe with no cats inside, they can't tell and won't ask as long as they see that there are bumps in the piping.

From my experience anyway.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:48 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

By definition it must be ORIGINAL cats in ORIGINAL position. It's a Federal law, not a State law.

You might get an ignorant Inspector or you might get one that's not honest and will pass you anyway.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:28 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by haljensen
By definition it must be ORIGINAL cats in ORIGINAL position. It's a Federal law, not a State law.
You might get an ignorant Inspector or you might get one that's not honest and will pass you anyway.
I believe the Federal law states that the system must remain OEM for five years or 50,000 miles. It is a felony to remove/change any part of the system in that time frame. I have never understood why so many prople apparently do it anyway!? Not worth it to me.

Last edited by carpe dm; 01-29-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:41 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,033 Likes on 2,185 Posts

Your not going to pass the sniff test without cats.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:53 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Dano523
Your not going to pass the sniff test without cats.
You are assuming there is a sniff test. Question not a statement.

In Wisconsin, they plug into the OBDII port and as long as they don't get a code you pass. Story is, they are going to a visual inspection as well. I happen to have multiple homes, so my Corvette is at the home that does not have testing, so I am OK either way.

Last edited by timd38; 01-30-2015 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:46 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by timd38
You are assuming there is a sniff test. Question not a statement.

In Denver, they put the car on rollers, shove a sniffer in the tail pipe and hook up to the obi port to check for fault codes, do a short run on the rollers that the computer tells them to take the car to each speeds for the sniffer test, pull the car off the rollers, and then do a pressure test on the gas cap. If all passes, then you hand them a check and they hand you the needed paperwork for DMV to get your new plates (note, your plate renewal card will tell you if you need a emission test that year or not for the new plates)

The emission test is good for two years most of the time, unless you pass one of the emissions monitoring check points that they get a reading as you drive by it, and if the cars output levels are too high, will need to have the car emission tested the upcoming year instead for plates.
Note, one of the moving emission check point is always on Speer on ramp by metro college as you are heading towards 1-25).

So not a question, but more of a fact since I keep a house in Denver for when I'm on holiday, and get to play the game for not only the Vet, but a truck that I keep there as well.

So no, without cats, your still not going to be able to tune the car lean enough to pass the sniffer test. With cats (even high flows), and a good tune to keep the car running lean enough, can even get away with running headers/cam, and pass the test.

And again, there is only a few cities in CO that require emission testing, but since the opt is asking the question, just happens to be living in one of the ones that does require emission testing for plates.

Last edited by Dano523; 01-30-2015 at 03:50 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:39 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

you need a friend who has a friend...if ya know what I mean.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:00 AM
vettegator005
Melting Slicks

yeah i knew going into this that it was going to be a fight but i think welding cats on will do the trick if not then ill get a different tune if all that fails ill start making calls to my wyoming friends.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:34 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

Or move to Free Colorado: El Paso County.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:49 PM
05 Wreck
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Emissions?

Why is Colorado worried about tail pipe emissions with all that pot smoke going into the atmosphere?
Old 01-31-2015, 05:13 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by 05 Wreck
Why is Colorado worried about tail pipe emissions with all that pot smoke going into the atmosphere?
Brown cloud cause by temperature inversion in the winter that just traps the smog over the city, instead of it being blown away in the summer months (why E-10 fuel manditory sold at the pumps only in the winter months).

It not at bad/thick as dropping into LA from the mountain off highway 15 where the smog looks like a fog bank you are driving into, but in the winter months, when you look at the mountains from the east in Denver, you can see the smog layer trapped in the air.

LA

Denver
[img]

Last edited by Dano523; 01-31-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:29 AM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 193 Posts

Not trying to be judgemental but having lived in SoCal all my life I'd like to point out that although I consider headers to be the birthright of every performance car owner the air here absolutely SUCKED back in the day and it is massively better now. Accordingly I've given up on trying to beat the system, the downside of an emissions citation is too great. There are many mods that make good power and will pass the tests so that's where my money would go.

But back to your question, without the OEM exhaust the inspector would have to be hungover or in your pocket to give you a pass. Do you have access to the factory system? Perhaps you could reinstall it. Your situation illustrates why the LS7 OEM exhaust is a popular upgrade for the LS3 in areas with comprehensive emissions testing. The LS7 exhaust produces more power without calling attention to itself and seems to keep the emissions in line too.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:52 AM
vettegator005
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Guard Dad
Not trying to be judgemental but having lived in SoCal all my life I'd like to point out that although I consider headers to be the birthright of every performance car owner the air here absolutely SUCKED back in the day and it is massively better now. Accordingly I've given up on trying to beat the system, the downside of an emissions citation is too great. There are many mods that make good power and will pass the tests so that's where my money would go.

But back to your question, without the OEM exhaust the inspector would have to be hungover or in your pocket to give you a pass. Do you have access to the factory system? Perhaps you could reinstall it. Your situation illustrates why the LS7 OEM exhaust is a popular upgrade for the LS3 in areas with comprehensive emissions testing. The LS7 exhaust produces more power without calling attention to itself and seems to keep the emissions in line too.
dont have the stock stuff but just because i have aftermarket exhaust shouldnt mean i cant pass emissions. having no cats is the big issue because of the visual inspection. Im taking them to a shop on friday so ill keep you all posted on what happens.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:18 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Would be better off just taking the car over to A.I.R. to have Clint install the cats, then get it on a dyno to re-tune the car to get is to pass emissions (read one and done, instead of failing the test, and a major pain in the *** instead with re-testing).
http://ai-racing.com/

To note, even with the high flow cats, Clint will be able to pick up some more HP that the car is not producing now. The reason for this, with the change in atmosphere pressures (14.7 to 10.1), the PCM does not do a great job at compensating for difference in air pressure, and the car tuned for best HP in WI, is now running a touch rich up at the lower 10.1PSI air pressure instead. Also, he can make sure that the what was turned off on the PCM, if checked for by the scan, will come up kosher so you pass the emission test, first shot.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:05 PM
vettegator005
Melting Slicks

Would be better off just taking the car over to A.I.R. to have Clint install the cats, then get it on a dyno to re-tune the car to get is to pass emissions (read one and done, instead of failing the test, and a major pain in the *** instead with re-testing).
http://ai-racing.com/

To note, even with the high flow cats, Clint will be able to pick up some more HP that the car is not producing now. The reason for this, with the change in atmosphere pressures (14.7 to 10.1), the PCM does not do a great job at compensating for difference in air pressure, and the car tuned for best HP in WI, is now running a touch rich up at the lower 10.1PSI air pressure instead. Also, he can make sure that the what was turned off on the PCM, if checked for by the scan, will come up kosher so you pass the emission test, first shot.
ive heard good stuff about this place. Any idea how much it would cost for a tune there?
Old 02-03-2015, 11:12 PM
Dano523
Race Director

ive heard good stuff about this place. Any idea how much it would cost for a tune there?

Tune and Dyno time (plus road time to finalize the tune to make sure it drivable) should be $400.
Note: Got to remember that $100 of that get kicked back to HP tuner for licensing to use their software (register Clint's dongle/software to your car) to tune the car in the first place via the HP software.

Takes two credits to license the car to the specific dongle/software.
http://www.hptuners.com/products/vcm...creditsfaq.php

Last edited by Dano523; 02-03-2015 at 11:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Modded c6 trying to pass colorado emissions

Old 02-04-2015, 01:07 AM
DSOMZ51
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Tune and Dyno time (plus road time to finalize the tune to make sure it drivable) should be $400.
Note: Got to remember that $100 of that get kicked back to HP tuner for licensing to use their software (register Clint's dongle/software to your car) to tune the car in the first place via the HP software.

I got my car tuned by Clint and plan to get in next week to update everything after my heads and cam project. I also talked to him about the emissions issue prior to doing my project and he told me that I should be OK with the cam size I went with... 230/234. He's a good guy, knows his stuff, and will take his time to get things right.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:48 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,948 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Not sure this is relevant but a tune for 4900-5300 ft. above sea level may not be compensated for by the car computer than one at 873 ft. (Madison, WI). So, if you start going down to the "flats" aka eastern CO, things may seem odd with the car.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:53 AM
vettegator005
Melting Slicks

So 500 dollars plus high flow cats and welding labor. Probably looking at around 1500 total ball park then right?

Quick Reply: Modded c6 trying to pass colorado emissions