C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

push rod length check question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 08:29 PM
zulatr
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default push rod length check question

I changed the cam to a pretty mild Pat G recommended EPS cam and did the heads on my LS7, and have been trying to find my way to the right PR length. Right now I'm short based on the turns to torque method when on the base circle of the cam. I can't use that method to determine the correct length because I'm near zero preload when the rocker torques down.

I bought a PR length checker, thinking it was marked, but it's not, it's just a jack screw in the middle.

My understanding is that PR are not measured end to end, but from a gage diameter on the spherical ends. So if I use the checker, get to a length I want, how do I turn it into PR length?
Old 01-29-2015, 08:39 PM
Arctic 05
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You count the turns and multiply them by the thread pitch. They should tell you the pitch and the pushrod length at zero turns.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:54 AM
zulatr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Arctic 05
You count the turns and multiply them by the thread pitch. They should tell you the pitch and the pushrod length at zero turns.
The one I got from comp cams, PN 7901-1, isn't marked in turns, it's just double nutted.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:39 AM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

If you only change the cam and did not milled the heads your push rod length should not have change, if you want to know the lash to push rod binding, install a rocker arm and tight it down as usual then with the valve in close position use a leverage arm of some kind to push down the rocker with a dial indicator on top of the rocker arm tip just above the valve stem to see how mush the rocker travel till binding.

If you have 0.020 or more you are good.

The length is measure from tip to tip or overall length.

I use a 12" dial caliper to correctly measure push rod length.

An adjustable push rod is best used in conjunction with a soft spring sold for this purpose although is not necessary if you can get a leverage arm some how made for this purpose.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:58 PM
zulatr
Melting Slicks

for the length checkers that are not marked in turns or with a specific beginning length, like the one I have, Comp Cams technical line said take .033" off the overall length.

Guess I'll give that a try, not feeling great about it though.
Anyone else?
Old 01-30-2015, 06:15 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by xBoostx
If you only change the cam and did not milled the heads your push rod length should not have change, if you want to know the lash to push rod binding, install a rocker arm and tight it down as usual then with the valve in close position use a leverage arm of some kind to push down the rocker with a dial indicator on top of the rocker arm tip just above the valve stem to see how mush the rocker travel till binding.

If you have 0.020 or more you are good.

The length is measure from tip to tip or overall length.

I use a 12" dial caliper to correctly measure push rod length.

An adjustable push rod is best used in conjunction with a soft spring sold for this purpose although is not necessary if you can get a leverage arm some how made for this purpose.
Question from one who doesn't know....

If the new cam has a different base circle than the OEM, wouldn't that require a different PR length??

TIA
Old 01-30-2015, 08:36 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

Default Interesting>>>>

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra

If the new cam has a different base circle than the OEM, wouldn't that require a different PR length??

TIA

So a pretty mild cam from Pat G- and what in wonderland is the real chance of an altered base circle on a mild cam?

Ah by the way the lifters don't ride on the base circle but on the cam lobes and these cam lobes are design to replace ls engine cam with ls cam lobes characteristics, so yeah it should be the correct base circle.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:48 PM
zulatr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by xBoostx
So a pretty mild cam from Pat G- and what in wonderland is the real chance of an altered base circle on a mild cam?

Ah by the way the lifters don't ride on the base circle but on the cam lobes and these cam lobes are design to replace ls engine cam with ls cam lobes characteristics, so yeah it should be the correct base circle.
lifters run on the whole cam profile. If they "jumped" over the base circle the impact would beat them to death in no time.

I am very clear that I need to make pushrod measurements on the base circle. Measuring on TDC may work for some cams but will not work for others, including mine, which measured different at TDC than at the EO/IC method.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:53 PM
zulatr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra

TIA
Yes, I've learned that you can put the same pushrod in on most cams and they will work, though you may end up on here discussing valve train noise, or may luck out.

Wisdom is that if you change the cam, lifters, have your valves reseated (read this everyone who has had their guides done), or milled the heads, you should check PR length.

In my case I had the guides redone, which requires the valves to be reseated and sinks them into the head, the head was then milled to adjust the chamber volume, and of course I have a new cam.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:52 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

I use the old-school, felt marker method.......tedious, but very effective.

Get notified of new replies

To push rod length check question

Quick Reply: push rod length check question