C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 NPP mufflers base C6 fitment

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 09:25 PM
xgto
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Z06 NPP mufflers base C6 fitment

I have 2006. C6 base with 2008 stock x pipe and I want to install a pair of 2007 Z06 NPP'S. Do I need to use a 3" to 2.5" reducer to connect to the mid pipe?
Old 01-29-2015, 10:07 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

You would need an expander (reversed reducer? ) to come out of the x-pipe at 2 1/2" and enlarge to the 3" Z06 over axle pipes.

I find this difficult to say without sounding like preaching but.....doing that is actually the reverse of what would be more desirable. Ideally, you would want to have the 3" pipes up close to the engine then reduce to 2 1/2" someplace as you went rearward. As the exhaust gasses move to the rear, they cool and lose velocity. Having the larger pipe at the front and smaller pipe at the back works with and enhances that natural phenomenon. Plus, you know that the Z06 Bi-mode mufflers reduce to 2 1/2" at the muffler, right?

If you just want to add the Z06 mufflers, it would probably be better and easier to cut them off the Z06 over axle pipes and weld them onto your stock 2 1/2" over axle pipes. That is a very common mod.

And just for clarity, Z06 mufflers are not NPP's. Different animal, similar only in that they are bi-mode.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:25 PM
xgto
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RicK T
You would need an expander (reversed reducer? ) to come out of the x-pipe at 2 1/2" and enlarge to the 3" Z06 over axle pipes.

I find this difficult to say without sounding like preaching but.....doing that is actually the reverse of what would be more desirable. Ideally, you would want to have the 3" pipes up close to the engine then reduce to 2 1/2" someplace as you went rearward. As the exhaust gasses move to the rear, they cool and lose velocity. Having the larger pipe at the front and smaller pipe at the back works with and enhances that natural phenomenon. Plus, you know that the Z06 Bi-mode mufflers reduce to 2 1/2" at the muffler, right?

If you just want to add the Z06 mufflers, it would probably be better and easier to cut them off the Z06 over axle pipes and weld them onto your stock 2 1/2" over axle pipes. That is a very common mod.

And just for clarity, Z06 mufflers are not NPP's. Different animal, similar only in that they are bi-mode.

What makes the Z06 bi mode different from the bi mode exhaust on a stock 2008 base ?
Old 01-29-2015, 10:32 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

The NPP mufflers have a solid pipe in the muffler as the "straight through" pipe. NPP's are louder and raspier/nastier sounding while the Z06's have a perforated "straight through" pipe that dissipates the sound into the muffler packing so they are deeper and more mellow sounding. Most people prefer the sound of the NPP's. A popular mod for the Z06 mufflers is/was to cut them open and weld a larger pipe around the perforated pipe to make them solid like the NPP's. It's called the "Z06 muffler mod".
Old 01-30-2015, 08:32 PM
pmwinc
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

xgto..I just did this last weekend..Used Z06 1 7/8 headers, 3" X-pipe, and Z06 NPP mufflers. For my A6, they need some tweeking and it was difficult to get around the shifter arm. I live in Margate. By your screen name, did you get rid of a GTO for your Vette?? I did...had a Brazen Orange 06..

Too bad I already sold my 2 1/2 NPPs from my 08...
Old 11-28-2015, 12:37 PM
MikalMuh
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by xgto
I have 2006. C6 base with 2008 stock x pipe and I want to install a pair of 2007 Z06 NPP'S. Do I need to use a 3" to 2.5" reducer to connect to the mid pipe?
Were you able to install using reducers? Or did you cut and weld to your 2.5 inch pipes? Trying to make a similar decision.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 NPP mufflers base C6 fitment

Quick Reply: Z06 NPP mufflers base C6 fitment