C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP PLEASE. A6 stuck in reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 11:31 PM
Wildgoose
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP PLEASE. A6 stuck in reverse.

Put the car in reverse, backed up. Put down in drive and the car stayed in reverse. Went back to park, reverse, drive. Still in reverse. Turned the car off. Would not start back up, obviously still in reverse. Had to leave it at work in the parking lot. The battery has been going dead lately so I'm thinking it might be the problem and not the shift linkage. I bought a battery to put on the car tomorrow but wondering if anyone has seen this before. Car only has 32k miles, 08 z51 A6. ???
Old 01-31-2015, 11:40 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildgoose
Put the car in reverse, backed up. Put down in drive and the car stayed in reverse. Went back to park, reverse, drive. Still in reverse. Turned the car off. Would not start back up, obviously still in reverse. Had to leave it at work in the parking lot. The battery has been going dead lately so I'm thinking it might be the problem and not the shift linkage. I bought a battery to put on the car tomorrow but wondering if anyone has seen this before. Car only has 32k miles, 08 z51 A6. ???
Change the battery to see if that is the problem. If it still does it, then I'm thinking it's the shifter cable end bushing that broke off.
Was the shifter hard or easy to shift back to Park? If it's real easy, then it's likely the cable.

Good Luck
Keep Us Posted.
Attached Images

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 01-31-2015 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:47 PM
Wildgoose
Advanced

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Change the battery to see if that is the problem. If it still does it, then I'm thinking it's the shifter cable end bushing that broke off.
Was the shifter hard or easy to shift back to Park? If it's real easy, then it's likely the cable.

Good Luck
Keep Us Posted.
It did seem kinda easy but it still feels like it's going to all gear positions, not just freely sliding. What do I need to do to get to the cable if the battery doesn't work?
Old 02-01-2015, 12:07 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

It did seem kinda easy but it still feels like it's going to all gear positions, not just freely sliding. What do I need to do to get to the cable if the battery doesn't work?
It's possible that the bushing is not completely broken off, but cracked, thus not actually moving the cable as it should.
If the battery does not fix the issue, then you will need to remove the radio surround console to get the top part of the shifter off so you can see the bushing/cable
I have the PDF's to do these things if you need them.
Just PM me to let me know you need them, leave your e-mail in the PM, and I'll send them to you ASAP.

Hope that the battery is the issue.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:26 AM
Wildgoose
Advanced

battery didn't help. I'm wondering if I should have done a hard reset when I had the battery off. Touching the positive and negative together for 10-15 seconds on the car.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:25 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

battery didn't help. I'm wondering if I should have done a hard reset when I had the battery off. Touching the positive and negative together for 10-15 seconds on the car.
No, I wouldn't do that. I sent you a PM
Old 02-01-2015, 11:16 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Although probably not the culprit in your case, it also be the plastic clip on the transmission cable where it connects to the detent lever on the transmission under the car. It could either be broken or unlocked or disconnected somehow. That clip has a lock that is used to adjust the cable and when that lock is popped out, the cable can move quite a bit without moving the lever. If you look at the photo below, you can see the plastic end on the cable. In the middle of that white plastic piece, on the top, you can see the lock in its locked position. It pops out to adjust the cable end to make sure the shifter cable is adjusted to synchronize it properly with the detent lever?
The problem is that it is right above the tailpipe. Please note that I had the exhaust off my car when this photo was taken, so it may be difficult to see on your car. Obviously will need the car up on a lift or on stands high enough that you can slide under it to look up on the drivers side of the trans.
Hope you get it solved easily, whatever it is.
Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2015, 11:44 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Hopefully, it's either that end, or better yet the other end just under the shifter, which can be accessed from the inside of the car.

The PDF that I included is for the shifter end bushing replacement.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:55 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

PDF's sent for console removal, and shifter removal.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:13 PM
Wildgoose
Advanced

Much appreciated sir. I'll take it apart when I get off work today and see if that's it.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP PLEASE. A6 stuck in reverse.

Quick Reply: HELP PLEASE. A6 stuck in reverse.