C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 10:12 AM
c5vette211
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '14
Default Tire Question

I had a tire get a nail in it and I had to get a new tire put on my car. I need some specs to see if what i ended up with is ok.

I now have a new tire in the rear passenger and a not new on the drivers side. I am worried about the differential having exessive use if there is a difference in size between the two tires. I wanna know the specification for an 06 A6 base. I dont want to hear "well GM recommends changing both tires bla bla bla." I am looking for numbers so i can measure and see if i am ok. Thanks!!
Old 02-03-2015, 10:21 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

more bla bla from here: call and ask a discount tire store what is the allowable difference between tread depth, side to side.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:38 PM
Bruce K
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 200 mile Z06 has a nail about 1.5 inches from the outside. Can it be repair successfully??
Old 02-26-2015, 03:34 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce K
My 200 mile Z06 has a nail about 1.5 inches from the outside. Can it be repair successfully??
I'm 99.9999% sure it can be repaired

That's about the location where I seem to find most nails and screws with my GS....
Old 02-26-2015, 06:16 PM
Bruce K
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Z06 tire with a nail

Originally Posted by Seadawg
I'm 99.9999% sure it can be repaired

That's about the location where I seem to find most nails and screws with my GS....
Thank you for that information.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:39 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by c5vette211
I had a tire get a nail in it and I had to get a new tire put on my car. I need some specs to see if what i ended up with is ok.

I now have a new tire in the rear passenger and a not new on the drivers side. I am worried about the differential having exessive use if there is a difference in size between the two tires. I wanna know the specification for an 06 A6 base. I dont want to hear "well GM recommends changing both tires bla bla bla." I am looking for numbers so i can measure and see if i am ok. Thanks!!
Depending where the nail went through the tire, if in the tread section, they can patch the tire from the inside with a standard patch.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:21 PM
C6z06man
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I got a nail about an inch from the sidewall in my BRAND NEW Pilot Super Sports. They were able to repair it.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:22 PM
Suds
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce K
If you have run flats, it's time for a new tire.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:42 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I see your thread got hijacked. I don't have numbers but I do have a suggestion. Get a flexible measuring tape like the one's a tailor would use. Make sure the rear tires are equally inflated and measure the circumference. If it's off by about .5", try adjusting the air pressure to even it out. I would be as concerned as you are about ruining the clutches. If this doesn't work for you, get a 2nd new tire.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:20 AM
c5vette211
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by martysauto
I see your thread got hijacked. I don't have numbers but I do have a suggestion. Get a flexible measuring tape like the one's a tailor would use. Make sure the rear tires are equally inflated and measure the circumference. If it's off by about .5", try adjusting the air pressure to even it out. I would be as concerned as you are about ruining the clutches. If this doesn't work for you, get a 2nd new tire.
Thanks. I am ok with a little thread jacking every once and a while as long as it gets back on track. I am going to measure tires today and see if they are similar. I had thought about doing this but didn't get around to it. it sucks because i have a new tire on the other side. the only difference is brand. so we will see. Ill report back for anyone that cares.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:49 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Thanks. I am ok with a little thread jacking every once and a while as long as it gets back on track. I am going to measure tires today and see if they are similar. I had thought about doing this but didn't get around to it. it sucks because i have a new tire on the other side. the only difference is brand. so we will see. Ill report back for anyone that cares.
When you say "the only difference is brand"...do you mean the two tires are different manufacturers? Tire sizes between brands are not necessarily consistent, so measurement is a good idea.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:12 PM
c5vette211
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by cclive
When you say "the only difference is brand"...do you mean the two tires are different manufacturers? Tire sizes between brands are not necessarily consistent, so measurement is a good idea.
Yes sorry. I do mean manufacturer. SO I do plan on measuring because i know that tread is different between manufacturers regardless of tire sizes.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:28 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Yes sorry. I do mean manufacturer. SO I do plan on measuring because i know that tread is different between manufacturers regardless of tire sizes.
A number that can be easily compared is "Revs per mile" which is shown on Tire Rack's site...might be worth a look.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:18 PM
c5vette211
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '14

awesome thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Question

Quick Reply: Tire Question