C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP - Major electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 12:51 PM
godzilladude
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 51 Posts

Default HELP - Major electrical problem

The 4th problem, now the top won't go up. The rest of the story . . .

Check engine light has been on. Ran the codes, I had replaced out the fan controller with something aftermarket, and that started codes running. Need something creative to fool the computer. That was maybe 3-4 months ago.

Then a month or two ago, the new fans start coming and going, pretty randomly, once the car warms up, on and off, a second or two at a time, no pattern, just kinda random.

Then a week or two ago, the "Service Traction Control" / "Service Active Handling" duo started showing up in the DIC at random times. I break the times loose every now and then, and know these little reminders. But now they are just randomly popping up.

THEN, a week or so ago, the dash shows the symbol that says it can't detect the fobs. I check my notes, haven't replaced the batteries in a couple years, so new batteries. Still says it can't see the fobs.

As I'm glaring under the hood, I notice that the ground connection on the battery is getting a real nasty buildup of corrosion. No doubt because the guys that installed the controller wired it straight to the ground connection on the battery, different metal, and off it goes corroding.

So today, I pull the cable off, clean everything, put it all back, spray it down with some battery sealant, take it for a test drive. ALL the problem lights are gone. I drive it for 15 minutes or so, various speeds, to let it all warm up. No problems at all. Pat myself on the head for getting lucky, and park it.

A couple hours later, I fire it up, and quickly all the problem lights go off again (check engine, no fob, Service Traction Control). I sigh and go where I'm going. When I get there, I try to put the top up, nothing. Not "trunk ajar" or any other note, the car acts like the switch isn't getting any power, it doesn't know its there.

So, (1) how the heck do I get the top up without power to it? And (2) does all these combined electrical problems ring a bell for anyone? Is this all signs of a single problem that needs fixed, or is it really just multiple little issues to address? Note that the car is up to 97K miles, its getting a little long in the tooth, could it be the computer?

Thanks for the assistance.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:55 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Sounds to me like you need a new battery.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:00 PM
godzilladude
Pro

Oh, saw a post about re-index the windows. Did it, top works. Duh.

I'll check the age on the battery. Anything else I should be looking for?
Old 02-14-2015, 01:07 PM
godzilladude
Pro

And, the battery is 42 months old. If memory serves, pretty much every battery dies at around three years. So, I suppose I'll pull it and have it checked. Then try to pick out a replacement.

Needs replaced anyway with its age, especially in a engine bay with the heat of a blown engine in Texas.

If any of that other stuff trips a wire with anyone else, please don't be shy!

Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP - Major electrical problem

Quick Reply: HELP - Major electrical problem