C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coworker added oil in the wrong place?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 08:59 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I would err on the side of caution; I'd check first to see if those tabs are in there. Then, I'd drain it all out and start over. That means Vito A. and EV are correct, and I'd do what they and others have suggested.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:48 AM
darkstarz
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up returning thed car for another. Does anyone have pictures of the cap with the tabs on? Because they don't seem to be convinced
The following users liked this post:
Mikey_T (07-12-2016)
Old 02-28-2015, 10:41 PM
CorvetteSparky
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 111 Posts

You bought the car used right? Perhaps it didn't have the right cap on it when you got it.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:56 PM
darkstarz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CorvetteSparky
You bought the car used right? Perhaps it didn't have the right cap on it when you got it.
It's the same cap as this one
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2015, 12:52 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by darkstarz
I ended up returning thed car for another. Does anyone have pictures of the cap with the tabs on? Because they don't seem to be convinced
No, but here is what a broken one looks like.

What I don't quite understand is how they get that cap on there at the factory without breaking the tabs off? I guess it's a one-way screw on but can't come off type of thing.

Last edited by EVRose; 03-02-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:07 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Yep, all the service manuals call for the cap as a one time use (to be replaced if its removed {pried off really}), and to be replaced only when you have the valve cover off the motor so the parts when they break off down drop down into the motor.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:46 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

It sounds like you have a bunch of people advising you who don't know how the Corvette system works. It doesn't work like other dry sump systems. It looks like you have a situation where you don't know for sure whether the oil has been fully changed yet. It also looks like the oil wasn't changed properly some time in the past since you have the wrong cap on the valve cover.

I think you need to dump the oil properly (using both drain plugs), check the best you can for any broken off tabs that might have gotten inside the engine. Then refill with at least 9 qts of oil and then top off the oil once you check the oil level.

The Vette dry sump system is different than other dry sump system and you don't check oil level while the engine is running. To check oil level you first bring the oil up to temperature (172 deg, OIL Temp not coolant temp) by running the engine, then shutting it off and waiting no less than 5 minutes or no longer than 20 minutes before checking the oil level. Once you do that top off the amount as needed.

Then gently read the riot act to the guy who tried to help. He should have noticed there was something different about the engine just due to the fact the dip stick was in an unusual location.

As for the pictures of the oil inlet cap and the filler pipe you showed in some of the pictures they look like they may have come from a Chevy truck engine. I don't remember my LS6 after not working on it for 5+ years but I think the Corvette filler pipe is shorter than the one in your picture.

Bill
Old 03-02-2015, 09:20 PM
darkstarz
Intermediate

Thanks all for the replies, I'll try my best to push this to my ops manager's desk so he can pass the word to other branches. They need some more educating on the dry sump system. Hopefully we can prevent future mishaps from happening
Old 03-02-2015, 09:48 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Did you check your cap to see if its broken like the one in the picture? You are talking about the cap on the valve cover and not the one on the oil tank, right?
Old 03-02-2015, 10:15 PM
darkstarz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EVRose
Did you check your cap to see if its broken like the one in the picture? You are talking about the cap on the valve cover and not the one on the oil tank, right?
I did, but yours looks similar to the one above your post and the one you pictured. Nothing oddly broken off
Old 03-03-2015, 01:45 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
I don't have a dry sump system so I'm not sure but isn't the dip stick located on the dry sump reservoir right next to a filler cap that says MOBIL 1 on it? You'd have to see it if you check the oil level. I'll never understand how oil gets put into the valve cover especially when that cap doesn't easily come off and the one on the tank is clearly marked and visible.
BINGO. Yet this mistake has been reported over and over again ever since the MY2006 Z06 was introduced. Mistakes made by so called "professionals" at that.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:06 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I did, but yours looks similar to the one above your post and the one you pictured. Nothing oddly broken off

The one above is the replacement cap, and not the one that the plant factory cap that EVRose is posting . Hence look at the broken tab areas of the factory installed cap that comes on the cover from the start when GM is putting the motor together, then the relief areas of the replacement cap where the factory cap plastic parts snaps off when it removed from the cover.

Hence when the factory cap was first pried off and destroyed, it was replaced it with the replacement cap instead.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:20 PM
JetstreamGS
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 148 Posts

I ended up returning thed car for another.
What did you get? What was the outcome of the oil change?
Old 03-03-2015, 10:26 PM
darkstarz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dano523
The one above is the replacement cap, and not the one that the plant factory cap that EVRose is posting . Hence look at the broken tab areas of the factory installed cap that comes on the cover from the start when GM is putting the motor together, then the relief areas of the replacement cap where the factory cap plastic parts snaps off when it removed from the cover.

Hence when the factory cap was first pried off and destroyed, it was replaced it with the replacement cap instead.
I get what you're saying now, so the factory one is not supposed to look like the one with the blue o ring

The other one that I will be getting is going to be also a GS. It's set to arrive by the end of the month so I'm not sure how they changed oil on that one either. But I will make sure that when it does arrive, I'll be there overlooking the tech changing the oil

Quick Reply: Coworker added oil in the wrong place?