C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 08:08 AM
zrvlorider
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Headers

I am going to install long tube headers and hi-flow cats. Anyone have input as to which brand offers best value for the dollar. I have looked at ARH , SLP & Borla. I will also install a cold air intake and a programmer. Any input would be helpful. New to the forum but I think prior experience with products is the best!
Old 02-22-2015, 10:35 AM
trawler
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Default LG headers

Originally Posted by zrvlorider
I am going to install long tube headers and hi-flow cats. Anyone have input as to which brand offers best value for the dollar. I have looked at ARH , SLP & Borla. I will also install a cold air intake and a programmer. Any input would be helpful. New to the forum but I think prior experience with products is the best!
Had LG headers with hi-flow cats installed last month coupled to Borla Touring, but didn't like sound, so having Billy Boat PRT's put on this week. Really like the look and quality in the headers, compared them to a set of headers I had purchased from a place in Texas. Just not the same quality in the welds and polish. Glad I changed my mind.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:52 AM
mysloride
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You cannot go wrong with ARH, KOOKS or LG's

I went with Kooks and their catted X pipe and had them coated. They are a quality product
Old 02-22-2015, 01:22 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

It's a tough call when you ask for "best value for the dollar" and don't define the value criteria. Because the components you list are power enhancing, I assume "value" is directly related to the amount of power. I'll include other factors for reference.

Header materials are nearly exclusively manufactured in China and will all meet ATSM specs for quality, so there is no high or low quality to consider. However, there may be different degrees of the cutting, bending, and welding methods that reflect quality of manufacturing processes. In addition to the physical attributes of the parts, another "value" item is the fit and ease of installation. Finally, the often overlooked criteria is the actual power increase that is the whole reason for headers in the first place. Of course, power can also be construed to mean keeping up with the Joneses at the car shows.

CAI systems are primarily rated by fit and finish, plus measurable track results. Dyno HP differences are meaningless, since the designs are created to induct outside air when the car is moving. The greatest dollar value is the $2 shroud prop, which can be enhanced somewhat by the addition of strategically placed plastic sheeting and duct tape. Again, if you are of the car show crowd, you'll need visual value vs performance value.

Finally, if you intend to use a handheld programming device, you'll never get the full performance value of the other components. The best value is a dyno tune by a local professional, who will create one that best fits your driving needs and includes a road test confirmation. A bonus would be if that tuner would also go to the dragstrip (remember measurable moving track results?) with you and tweak the tune to achieve maximum power at safe limits.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:43 AM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

American Racing Headers
Old 02-23-2015, 08:36 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Another vote for LG's, beautiful welds and a quality product, I teamed them up with Akra's and love it... Get them coated, whatever you go with.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:36 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Borla's...Lifetime Warranty".
Old 02-23-2015, 12:48 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

LG headers are manufactured by Borla. Either LG, Kooks, American Racing, or the Pfadt Tri-Y headers will work well. Shop around for the best price. Make sure you include the X pipe engineered for your headers and possibly the O2 extensions.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:47 PM
nightster
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll probably get bashed for this, but my texas speed headers will be here hopefully second week of march. $868 for headers, catless 3"xpipe, and o2 extensions.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:02 PM
scotts94_z28
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had both ARH and Kooks and will always go ARH from now on.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:03 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

I have Melrose headers. Looks good...fits good. Coated inside and out....they come that way.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:53 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Vito.A
LG headers are manufactured by Borla. Either LG, Kooks, American Racing, or the Pfadt Tri-Y headers will work well. Shop around for the best price. Make sure you include the X pipe engineered for your headers and possibly the O2 extensions.
Vito,Borla at one time make the headers for LG..LG's are now made by a Independent company has been for years.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:00 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

It sounds like a lot of fanboys are responding with no substance to define their preference. Might as well get OBX, since they all let the exhaust out the back anyway.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:57 PM
bordovskyj
Instructor

I still haven't figured out what im going with either. Not only brand but I don't know if I want cats or not.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:02 PM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

I searched ad nauseum, and I ordered American racing with cats yesterday!
Old 02-24-2015, 07:29 PM
bordovskyj
Instructor

Right now all I have is my corsa extreme exhaust....and absolutely no cabin drone. im concerned that when I go to long tube headers I might introduce that....and will cats vs no cats make an in cabin difference?
Old 02-25-2015, 04:42 AM
dev1360
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Headers will not induce drone with Corsa.

And value for the money? OBX for sure. $769 shipped. Fit perfect and made all the power of the bigger brands.

Get notified of new replies

To Which Headers

Old 02-25-2015, 11:36 AM
bordovskyj
Instructor

Originally Posted by dev1360

And value for the money? OBX for sure. $769 shipped. Fit perfect and made all the power of the bigger brands.
I love that corsa sound and I just don't wanna lose that. I guess no headers will actually change that. And I think I'm gonna do no cats what do Yall think ?
Old 02-25-2015, 12:03 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by dev1360
I guess you would have to learn from experience. With the right combination that statement is no even close to correct.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:05 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by bordovskyj
Right now all I have is my corsa extreme exhaust....and absolutely no cabin drone. im concerned that when I go to long tube headers I might introduce that....and will cats vs no cats make an in cabin difference?
Corsa Xtreme, headers with the offroad is more than likely something you won't be pleased with unless you like ear banging noise.

Quick Reply: Which Headers