C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to get good CA smog legal power in the 400 rwhp/tq range?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 02:17 AM
NVA2010
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Any way to get good CA smog legal power in the 400 rwhp/tq range?

I have an '05 C6 auto (non Z51) and was wondering if there was any combo to get its rwhp and rwtq up without the use of a blower and remain smog legal in CA? My goal would be around 450 rwhp and 415+ rwtq but really I'd be happy with anything in the 400's. Hunting down CARB legal parts is driving me nuts!
Thanks for the input.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:47 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by NVA2010
I have an '05 C6 auto (non Z51) and was wondering if there was any combo to get its rwhp and rwtq up without the use of a blower and remain smog legal in CA? My goal would be around 450 rwhp and 415+ rwtq but really I'd be happy with anything in the 400's. Hunting down CARB legal parts is driving me nuts!
Thanks for the input.
No way. The blower is your only option. There are a few that are CARB approved.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:14 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

as far as I know there are no CARB legal headers*, so there's a choke point. that means it has to be pretty strong fr. engine only. *if I'm wrong, someone will correct me. or you can just write to the majors and ask if they are (LG, AR, SLP, Borla, Melrose, Kooks, TexSpeed, SW, etc.)
Old 02-25-2015, 10:50 AM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Get a set of Z06 manifolds and corresponding X pipe and mufflers. Then either port your stock intake manifold or get a FAST. I'm not sure a FAST will pass a visual inspection, I don't know how CA does their inspections, so the stock unit might be a better choice. Plus on the stock cam and heads, the price of the FAST probably isn't worth the gains. You could also open up the grill/shroud (search toggle bolt mods) so you don't need to get a CAI. Then get a good tune. That should put you at/near 400rwhp. All of this will be relatively inexpensive and should net you a decent gain. At least enough to notice. Unfortunately living in CA you're limited and anything else most likely wont pass.

Another option is to add gears and a TC (torque converter). You wont gain power but your car will be noticeably faster.

You could experiment with a small cam. But there's no guarantee you'll pass or that the gains would be worth the money.

Personally, if I were to do the build but didn't want a blower and wanted to remain as visually stock as possible but still gain decent performance, I'd do the following:

Toggle Bolt Mod for cold air intake
Ported stock IM
Z06 Manifolds/Exhaust
TC
Gears
Tune

Last edited by 5knives; 02-25-2015 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:04 PM
NVA2010
Racer

Originally Posted by 5knives
Get a set of Z06 manifolds and corresponding X pipe and mufflers. Then either port your stock intake manifold or get a FAST. I'm not sure a FAST will pass a visual inspection, I don't know how CA does their inspections, so the stock unit might be a better choice. Plus on the stock cam and heads, the price of the FAST probably isn't worth the gains. You could also open up the grill/shroud (search toggle bolt mods) so you don't need to get a CAI. Then get a good tune. That should put you at/near 400rwhp. All of this will be relatively inexpensive and should net you a decent gain. At least enough to notice. Unfortunately living in CA you're limited and anything else most likely wont pass.

Another option is to add gears and a TC (torque converter). You wont gain power but your car will be noticeably faster.

You could experiment with a small cam. But there's no guarantee you'll pass or that the gains would be worth the money.

Personally, if I were to do the build but didn't want a blower and wanted to remain as visually stock as possible but still gain decent performance, I'd do the following:

Toggle Bolt Mod for cold air intake
Ported stock IM
Z06 Manifolds/Exhaust
TC
Gears
Tune
The FAST units are CARB legal based on what i've read so far.
CARB EO D-279-8 for the white ones
CARB EO D-279-9 for the newer black ones

Also, originally I planned on getting nothing that wasn't approved but I guess I'll have to look into parts that look stock yet aren't (ie Z06 setup) or are hard to notice so I can squeak by

So far I have:
K&N 57 Series FIPK Gen2 Intake system (came w/car)
Corsa catback exhaust
FAST 102: to port, or not to port? (on its way unported, but will get it ported if I should)
160 thermostat (one of those mods that technically isn't allowed)
and along with the tune I was told they would port the TB or install a previously ported unit
I expect to be in the high 370's to low 380's with all this (higher would be great!)

As for "tough to spot" mods, would an SLP 25% underdrive pulley (not sure if it's allowed in CA or not so I have it down here) help at all? Maybe even have the stock heads ported/milled? and slap on a mild/small cam? (I don't really know what numbers a mild one would have as I'm very new to the camshaft info haha)
Along with the gears and TC for the kick in the pants

I probably won't do the Z06 exhaust swap since I already have the corsa system and absolutely love the sound. Thanks for the idea though
I also do the installation of parts myself as I find it extremely fun to do and it saves my wallet
Old 02-25-2015, 01:08 PM
NVA2010
Racer

Originally Posted by AORoads
as far as I know there are no CARB legal headers*, so there's a choke point. that means it has to be pretty strong fr. engine only. *if I'm wrong, someone will correct me. or you can just write to the majors and ask if they are (LG, AR, SLP, Borla, Melrose, Kooks, TexSpeed, SW, etc.)
As far as I know as well you are correct, there are no currently CARB legal LT's/aftermarket headers for the c6 of any year. thanks for the input though.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:10 PM
NVA2010
Racer

Originally Posted by VET4LES
No way. The blower is your only option. There are a few that are CARB approved.
It really does seem to be my only option for those kind of numbers. oh well, i guess i'll either have to give up on those numbers or start putting parts on that are hard to notice/look stock. thanks
Old 02-25-2015, 01:26 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

The FAST units are CARB legal based on what i've read so far.
CARB EO D-279-8 for the white ones
CARB EO D-279-9 for the newer black ones

Also, originally I planned on getting nothing that wasn't approved but I guess I'll have to look into parts that look stock yet aren't (ie Z06 setup) or are hard to notice so I can squeak by

So far I have:
K&N 57 Series FIPK Gen2 Intake system (came w/car)
Corsa catback exhaust
FAST 102: to port, or not to port? (on its way unported, but will get it ported if I should)
160 thermostat (one of those mods that technically isn't allowed)
and along with the tune I was told they would port the TB or install a previously ported unit
I expect to be in the high 370's to low 380's with all this (higher would be great!)

As for "tough to spot" mods, would an SLP 25% underdrive pulley (not sure if it's allowed in CA or not so I have it down here) help at all? Maybe even have the stock heads ported/milled? and slap on a mild/small cam? (I don't really know what numbers a mild one would have as I'm very new to the camshaft info haha)
Along with the gears and TC for the kick in the pants

I probably won't do the Z06 exhaust swap since I already have the corsa system and absolutely love the sound. Thanks for the idea though
I also do the installation of parts myself as I find it extremely fun to do and it saves my wallet
The underdrive pulley will get a you a few more HP but the amount of work involved might not be worth it. Most do it during a cam install because of the amount of R&R required.

I can't imagine any tech being able to tell the difference between LS2 manifolds and Z06 manifolds once on the vehicle. They are factory approved and warrantied items with no hint at being an aftermarket part.

If you already have a CAI and Corsas, there's no need to change them out.

I honestly don't know what you will gain with a FAST on a stock heads and cam car. The FAST is usually one of the last mods performed on a bolt-on build because it yields the least HP per $$.

I have always thought about the gains from ported heads on a stock cam but couldn't find much information since most people don't go that route. Milling the heads and raising CR could be worth it though.

Playing with a small cam would be interesting but you might not get much power and what if you don't pass and have to remove it? PITA

I know you're chasing a horsepower number but you should really consider TC and gears. You could knock off over 1.0 from your ET.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:43 PM
NVA2010
Racer

Originally Posted by 5knives
The underdrive pulley will get a you a few more HP but the amount of work involved might not be worth it. Most do it during a cam install because of the amount of R&R required.

I can't imagine any tech being able to tell the difference between LS2 manifolds and Z06 manifolds once on the vehicle. They are factory approved and warrantied items with no hint at being an aftermarket part.

If you already have a CAI and Corsas, there's no need to change them out.

I honestly don't know what you will gain with a FAST on a stock heads and cam car. The FAST is usually one of the last mods performed on a bolt-on build because it yields the least HP per $$.

I have always thought about the gains from ported heads on a stock cam but couldn't find much information since most people don't go that route. Milling the heads and raising CR could be worth it though.

Playing with a small cam would be interesting but you might not get much power and what if you don't pass and have to remove it? PITA

I know you're chasing a horsepower number but you should really consider TC and gears. You could knock off over 1.0 from your ET.
I would prefer to refrain from the cam swap for that very reason haha
The FAST basically is my last mod until now i guess since you mentioned the TC and gears which i hadn't thought about before. What TC and gears would you recommend?

And if i swapped to the ls7 anything exhaust part, wouldn't i have to swap the rest of the system as well since it runs a 3" exhaust sytem whereas the base model runs 2.5"?(which is what my corsas are as well)
Old 02-25-2015, 01:56 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

With the Z06 manifolds and H pipe being 3 in dia leave the stock axle over pipes, be it the Corsa pipe at 2 1/2 in dia and weld in a reducer at the end of the H pipe. The gases cool down enough at this point and no restriction.

You do not necessarily need the Z06 mufflers.

I have had the CAI and long tubes with a tune and the car was transformed.

I have to admit though that my favorite performance ( for speed) mod is the 4:10 gearing, in my MM6 car.

Last edited by Boomer111; 02-25-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:32 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I was hoping Dave, the Boomer111, would chime in. While not strictly "legal," because of looks and proper placement of the cats, the Z06 exhaust manifolds work better than most stock units and come closest to being, and looking stock. That said, he's outlined how you can neck it down to your current Corsas, keep them, and make it all work to unclog the exhaust bottleneck a bit. I doubt if a tune will change emissions negatively, but just be careful on that one and make sure whoever does the tune knows you have to pass emissions. We've read some wild and crazy numbers on here recently for Z06 exhaust, CAI, and a tune, but be realistic and don't expect a lot. Unless your tuner is one to put up "big numbers."
Old 02-25-2015, 03:55 PM
NVA2010
Racer

Originally Posted by Boomer111
With the Z06 manifolds and H pipe being 3 in dia leave the stock axle over pipes, be it the Corsa pipe at 2 1/2 in dia and weld in a reducer at the end of the H pipe. The gases cool down enough at this point and no restriction.

You do not necessarily need the Z06 mufflers.

I have had the CAI and long tubes with a tune and the car was transformed.

I have to admit though that my favorite performance ( for speed) mod is the 4:10 gearing, in my MM6 car.
Thanks for the tip.
Would 4:10 gearing work wonders on the A4 as they do for the M6?
Old 02-25-2015, 04:01 PM
NVA2010
Racer

Originally Posted by AORoads
I was hoping Dave, the Boomer111, would chime in. While not strictly "legal," because of looks and proper placement of the cats, the Z06 exhaust manifolds work better than most stock units and come closest to being, and looking stock. That said, he's outlined how you can neck it down to your current Corsas, keep them, and make it all work to unclog the exhaust bottleneck a bit. I doubt if a tune will change emissions negatively, but just be careful on that one and make sure whoever does the tune knows you have to pass emissions. We've read some wild and crazy numbers on here recently for Z06 exhaust, CAI, and a tune, but be realistic and don't expect a lot. Unless your tuner is one to put up "big numbers."
I'm going to have it tuned by Rick at Synergy Motorsports as I have heard nothing but good reviews coming from his work and I've already spoken to him about maintaining CA emissions legality.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:09 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

I'm going to have it tuned by Rick at Synergy Motorsports as I have heard nothing but good reviews coming from his work and I've already spoken to him about maintaining CA emissions legality.
You're in good hands.

Also remember the new Emission laws in California require a OB11 test for smog related component readiness, for cars newer than 2000 no more tailpipe testing.

This and the visual inspection.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:13 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Thanks for the tip.
Would 4:10 gearing work wonders on the A4 as they do for the M6?
Changing gear ratios with the auto is different, not as easily done.

I really am not sure of the procedure due to having owned only one auto my whole life.

Rick can fill you in regarding everything, if you can get him alone for some time.

Bring $$ he will listen. He knows his trade.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:37 PM
NVA2010
Racer

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Changing gear ratios with the auto is different, not as easily done.

I really am not sure of the procedure due to having owned only one auto my whole life.

Rick can fill you in regarding everything, if you can get him alone for some time.

Bring $$ he will listen. He knows his trade.
Will do. Thanks again
Old 02-26-2015, 07:51 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

I just had smog done on my car with full Z06 system no issues....
I also had rick do my tune.... I haven't had it returned after the Z06 upgrade but I would think im real close to 400 now with everything I have ,,

I know Rick also has a good smog cam set up .... With that you would for sure be over the 400
Rick is the man and can get you what you need......

Get notified of new replies

To Any way to get good CA smog legal power in the 400 rwhp/tq range?

Old 02-26-2015, 07:55 PM
NVA2010
Racer

Originally Posted by ptroxx
I just had smog done on my car with full Z06 system no issues....
I also had rick do my tune.... I haven't had it returned after the Z06 upgrade but I would think im real close to 400 now with everything I have ,,

I know Rick also has a good smog cam set up .... With that you would for sure be over the 400
Rick is the man and can get you what you need......
What all do you have besides the Z06 system?
Old 02-26-2015, 08:08 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

C6 - MR 06 A6-Halltech CAI,Vmax ported TB, Synergy tune Complete Z06 exhaust w/ muffler mod w/mild to wild setup.

Rick got me 37 hp with just the tune and CAI..... after I added the TB and Z06 Set up... I was about 375 then
Old 02-26-2015, 08:18 PM
NVA2010
Racer

Originally Posted by ptroxx
C6 - MR 06 A6-Halltech CAI,Vmax ported TB, Synergy tune Complete Z06 exhaust w/ muffler mod w/mild to wild setup.

Rick got me 37 hp with just the tune and CAI..... after I added the TB and Z06 Set up... I was about 375 then
Okay cool. With everything I have it seems I was sorta close with my estimate of where I'd end up numbers wise, thanks. I guess there really isn't a way to get to the 400's absolutely legally and stay N/A, you can only get ever so close. I'm most likely going to go for the gear swap and torque converter change to get that extra bit off the line after all this.

Quick Reply: Any way to get good CA smog legal power in the 400 rwhp/tq range?