C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Small" Blower Cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 07:40 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Default "Small" Blower Cam

I've decided that I'm going with a Vengeance Racing cam package. The plan is to do a cam change for now and then add either an ECS kit or a Heartbeat in the future.
I've chosen Vengeance because they have a solid reputation in the LSX community and I want to be able to have them tune my car for their cam via email tuning with EFI Live.
The only question is which of the following cams to go with:

http://vengeanceracing.net/2005-c6-c...617-115-2.html

Or:

http://vengeanceracing.net/2005-c6-c...621-115-7.html

Please note that this car is not a daily driver. I've only managed to put 2500 miles on it in the last 22 months since I bought it. However, I don't want to make it a chore to nail the tune (bear in mind that I'm overseas) or a nuisance to drive because it surges. I will talk to Vengeance some more and get there advice, but wanted to know if anyone on here is familiar with either of these cams in an LS3 and if so what their experience is with the same.
FYI: I have a 3600 stall converter and 3.42 gears already, so that should help with running a larger camshaft.
Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:28 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

You need to really think about those future additions. Depending what supercharger you add it could make a difference on what cam is good then.
I got lucky and a cam I spec'd for a PD blower, turns out to be amazing for my change to a centri, but I don't think that is always the case.
I would speak to a real cam expert about your goals, and then make a decision.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:47 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
You need to really think about those future additions. Depending what supercharger you add it could make a difference on what cam is good then.
I got lucky and a cam I spec'd for a PD blower, turns out to be amazing for my change to a centri, but I don't think that is always the case.
I would speak to a real cam expert about your goals, and then make a decision.
Yep, those are probably excellent centri cams. With a Heartbeat, I'm not sure you'd want that much advance ground in with a 115lsa. That's going to run the DCR up fairly high. With full boost available at low rpm, you'd want a little lower DCR for a p/d cam. My take on it anyway.

The cam under my Heartbeat is a 224/234 116+2 custom grind. Drivability is excellent and it pulls clean to 6500 with the power still going up at redline.

You can get any cam Comp makes in a matter of a few days. Options are limitless. As mentioned, get someone like Pat G to spec you one that fits exactly what your combo is and fits your requirements for performance and drivability.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:56 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Yep, those are probably excellent centri cams. With a Heartbeat, I'm not sure you'd want that much advance ground in with a 115lsa. That's going to run the DCR up fairly high. With full boost available at low rpm, you'd want a little lower DCR for a p/d cam. My take on it anyway.

The cam under my Heartbeat is a 224/234 116+2 custom grind. Drivability is excellent and it pulls clean to 6500 with the power still going up at redline.

You can get any cam Comp makes in a matter of a few days. Options are limitless. As mentioned, get someone like Pat G to spec you one that fits exactly what your combo is and fits your requirements for performance and drivability.
Thanks guys. Sage advice, no doubt.

My only problem is that I will need at least a decent base tune to run and then datalog it and get that tweaked via email, since I'm overseas and we don't have a dyno here.

Maybe what I should do is copy someone's cam specs and then beg, buy, borrow or steal a copy of their tune?? Hint, hint, Rodney...
Old 02-28-2015, 08:40 AM
scottg
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 126 Posts

My tuner said I should go with a GT-9 spec cam 215/247/121. Have a Heartbeat in mine now. We will see in fall maybe. Looking for about 40 more whp.

Last edited by scottg; 02-28-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:58 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by scottg
My tuner said I should go with a GT-9 spec cam 215/247/121. Have a Heartbeat in mine now. We will see in fall maybe. Looking for about 40 more whp.
Nothing "wrong" with that cam. There are just better options available. No reason to use those high lift/aggressive LSK lobes. .629 lift on the intake and over .650 on the exhaust. Comp doesn't even recommend the LSK lobe series for street apps. You can make similar or better power with a lobe series that's easier on your valve train.

Here's what Comp Cams says about their LSK lobe series: "The LSK Series has been designed with enhanced characteristics from our latest professional drag racing profiles. These have excellent ramp quickness. They are VERY hard on parts and not generally recommended in street applications!"

I use Comp's LXL lobes in all my stuff. They're quieter and easier on the valve train. Here's Comp's description: "The LXL Series is based off the popular LSL profiles but are optimized with lower acceleration and a softer closing ramp for less valve train noise and better stability with higher (1.8:1+) ratio rocker arms. These profiles are an excellent choice on the exhaust when used with an LSL intake and perform well for both the intake and exhaust when used in either LS7 or other high ratio applications. These also are a great choice for road race type engines that require extended use at high engine speeds."

Get one of the cam gurus to spec you a cam to fit your needs and wants. Costs little if anything extra to get an exact fit for what you're trying to accomplish. I'll bet you anthing you care to lose that none of them will spec you a cam using Comp's LSK lobes.....
Old 02-28-2015, 11:10 AM
scottg
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 126 Posts

Nothing "wrong" with that cam. There are just better options available. No reason to use those high lift/aggressive LSK lobes. .629 lift on the intake and over .650 on the exhaust. Comp doesn't even recommend the LSK lobe series for street apps. You can make similar or better power with a lobe series that's easier on your valve train.

Here's what Comp Cams says about their LSK lobe series: "The LSK Series has been designed with enhanced characteristics from our latest professional drag racing profiles. These have excellent ramp quickness. They are VERY hard on parts and not generally recommended in street applications!"

I use Comp's LXL lobes in all my stuff. They're quieter and easier on the valve train. Here's Comp's description: "The LXL Series is based off the popular LSL profiles but are optimized with lower acceleration and a softer closing ramp for less valve train noise and better stability with higher (1.8:1+) ratio rocker arms. These profiles are an excellent choice on the exhaust when used with an LSL intake and perform well for both the intake and exhaust when used in either LS7 or other high ratio applications. These also are a great choice for road race type engines that require extended use at high engine speeds."

Get one of the cam gurus to spec you a cam to fit your needs and wants. Costs little if anything extra to get an exact fit for what you're trying to accomplish. I'll bet you anthing you care to lose that none of them will spec you a cam using Comp's LSK lobes.....
Thanks OldMotorhead
Its a good thing I have time to look into this. I really like threads like this so I can learn from the what for- how comes? that happens on this board.

Get notified of new replies

To "Small" Blower Cam

Quick Reply: "Small" Blower Cam