C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CA "legal" Cam suggestions. Other recommended performance parts for a 11' C6?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 01:31 AM
k2alling
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CA "legal" Cam suggestions. Other recommended performance parts for a 11' C6?

Ive been looking into Cams for my C6 but I'm having trouble figuring out what would pass smog and is a good fit here in CA. If anyone has any suggestions or experiences and links to the best place to purchase one.

Im also just curious of what other performance mods should be on the top of the list that would not break the bank. If you guys have ideas I would greatly appreciate them. My C6 is my daily driver so I heard great things about the MGW shifter. Im also thinking about headers but I heard long tubes won't pass inspection here. (please correct me if I'm wrong) I also just want to try to keep things to being "legal in a sense" so it can pass smog, or I won't have to take stuff off and what not.

As of now I have a SLP LM2 w/ borla x pipe and a K&N CAI. So I'm looking to start branching out from here.

Thanks for your input!:
Old 02-28-2015, 02:30 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

WHere are you located..... Z06 exhaust system will pass smog on a C6 coupe....
Rick At Synergy can set you u with cam that you can smog no problem....

RSD also has an awesome shifter Talk to Steve he can hook you up...
Old 02-28-2015, 06:10 AM
k2alling
Intermediate

San Diego
The following users liked this post:
sallen619 (10-08-2020)
Old 02-28-2015, 08:32 AM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by ptroxx
WHere are you located..... Z06 exhaust system will pass smog on a C6 coupe....
Rick At Synergy can set you u with cam that you can smog no problem....

RSD also has an awesome shifter Talk to Steve he can hook you up...
A cam, z06 exhaust should and tune should get you 40-70 rwhp. I suggest you take a ride in a car with the shifter and 4.10 gears to see how you like them. 4.10's are a very popular mod, they only add about 250 rpm at highway speeds and will make it launch much quicker.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:19 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Give CMS a call they have smog legal style cams. Headers with cats will pass smog but not visual inspection, if you find the "right" smog station you can get away with having headers as long as it passes the sniffer test. In my opinion I would not waste your time on using C6 Z06 exhaust manifolds and if your looking for more power buy a 150 shot Nitrous kit and call it a day.

Last edited by Brandon619; 02-28-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:34 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Brandon619
Give CMS a call they have smog legal style cams. Headers with cats will pass smog but not visual inspection, if you find the "right" smog station you can get away with having headers as long as it passes the sniffer test. In my opinion I would not waste your time on using C6 Z06 exhaust manifolds and if your looking for more power buy a 150 shot Nitrous kit and call it a day.
What makes you think the Z06 swap is a waste of money .... Its the best bang for the buck and you don't have to find that "SPECIAL SMOG" guy ,,,, Who wants t deal with that every 2 years... and when you have to sell your car.....

you gain a nice amount of HP from the swap granted not the same as headers, but its close......for half the money ,,,,
And again NO smog help needed
Old 02-28-2015, 12:37 PM
sikhs.2
Intermediate

CA no longer does a sniffer check for certain years forward (01' forward?). They plug into the on board diagnostics and check for any thrown codes. So, prob any cam could pass smog as long as there's no codes coming up and the visual is passed.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:31 PM
martysauto
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '14

Any inspector that is knowledgeable will hear and probably smell a large cam. Worthwhile performance gains can be had from milder cams that aren't so obvious. You don't want them to decide they need to do a tailpipe test.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:42 PM
sikhs.2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by martysauto
Any inspector that is knowledgeable will hear and probably smell a large cam. Worthwhile performance gains can be had from milder cams that aren't so obvious. You don't want them to decide they need to do a tailpipe test.
If you have the stock exhaust with cats, a cam would be fairly unnoticeable. Unless you go with a huge cam.. With no sniffer, you're not limited to a cam or a "ca legal cam".

Last edited by sikhs.2; 02-28-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:54 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Long tubes will not pass the readiness test via the OBDll.

In California now no longer requires sniffer for 2000 and up cars.

Also CAI systems are not legal.

Actually any modification or exchange for any smog part is not legal unless the said art is not working.

Gears are cool and I love my 4:10's.

Tune will work to just as long as the emissions show readiness.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:08 PM
k2alling
Intermediate

A cam, z06 exhaust should and tune should get you 40-70 rwhp. I suggest you take a ride in a car with the shifter and 4.10 gears to see how you like them. 4.10's are a very popular mod, they only add about 250 rpm at highway speeds and will make it launch much quicker.

With the Z06 exhaust does it require welding? Ive heard that it does, also where would your recommend getting 4.10's?
Old 02-28-2015, 04:36 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

What makes you think the Z06 swap is a waste of money .... Its the best bang for the buck and you don't have to find that "SPECIAL SMOG" guy ,,,, Who wants t deal with that every 2 years... and when you have to sell your car.....

you gain a nice amount of HP from the swap granted not the same as headers, but its close......for half the money ,,,,
And again NO smog help needed
Hello, I'm replying to this thread based on my experience. I've owned highly modified Corvettes living in California for seven plus years without ever smogging the car. Now personally I wouldn't do the Z06 manifold swap I would do headers with cats? If you disagree with me that is your opinion.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:41 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Long tubes will not pass the readiness test via the OBDll.
Please educate me on why headers won't pass a smog shops OBDII scan test? Will the scan catch one has turned off your O2 sensors or possibly find one using simulators?
Old 02-28-2015, 05:23 PM
martysauto
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '14

Hello, I'm replying to this thread based on my experience. I've owned highly modified Corvettes living in California for seven plus years without ever smogging the car. Now personally I wouldn't do the Z06 manifold swap I would do headers with cats? If you disagree with me that is your opinion.
How were you able to go 7 years without a smog test?
Old 02-28-2015, 06:24 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

How were you able to go 7 years without a smog test?
It's a loop hole.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:43 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Hello, Not everyone lives in a Co/City that doesn't require a smog.... That must be your loop hole... My c3 I didn't have to smog because of the same reason, I had it registered in another area at a friends address...

But if you want to go about it the LEGAL way then Z06 system is a good option....

And yes its your opinion,,,,, And my comments are my opinion... That's what threads like this are about ... And that's what the OP is looking for ideas for LEGAL smog help, not loop holes...
Old 02-28-2015, 08:23 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Hello, Not everyone lives in a Co/City that doesn't require a smog.... That must be your loop hole... My c3 I didn't have to smog because of the same reason, I had it registered in another area at a friends address...

But if you want to go about it the LEGAL way then Z06 system is a good option....

And yes its your opinion,,,,, And my comments are my opinion... That's what threads like this are about ... And that's what the OP is looking for ideas for LEGAL smog help, not loop holes...
What I've done in the past is legal? I discribe as a loop hole because it's my little secret. Your assumption on my loop hole not being "legal" is inaccurate.

Last edited by Brandon619; 02-28-2015 at 08:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To CA "legal" Cam suggestions. Other recommended performance parts for a 11' C6?

Old 02-28-2015, 09:20 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 776 Likes on 505 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Please educate me on why headers won't pass a smog shops OBDII scan test? Will the scan catch one has turned off your O2 sensors or possibly find one using simulators?
He's wrong, as I can tweak the tune of any car to pass the OBDII readiness tests regardless of the setup - headers, big cam, no cats, or even no O2 sensors - doesn't matter.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:14 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
He's wrong, as I can tweak the tune of any car to pass the OBDII readiness tests regardless of the setup - headers, big cam, no cats, or even no O2 sensors - doesn't matter.
Hey Subfloor, yeah I knew he was wrong because I've been there done that. I've even been to the B.A.R. before getting a car inspected and they are sharp but can be fooled. Also I believe installing a Z06 exhaust system from the manifold on a non Z06 platform is illegal in California according to the bureau of automotive repair or B.A.R. the movement of the OEM smog equipment i.e. catalytic converter is illegal.

Last edited by Brandon619; 02-28-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:50 PM
k2alling
Intermediate

If I was to do that and not use Z06 parts, would you be willing to share your secret? haha What setup would you recommend?

Quick Reply: CA "legal" Cam suggestions. Other recommended performance parts for a 11' C6?