C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk sounds in front driver side wheel area

Old 03-01-2015, 07:31 PM
l7i7o7n
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clunk sounds in front driver side wheel area

Ok, when I turn the steering wheel left or right the initial movement has a clunk noise from the wheel area. I have jacked the car up and with the weight off the wheels it doesn't make any noise. I put the car on ramps and the noise starts. I have read that it might be the end links loose but what is the best way to check. i did have a problem at one point that where the rack and pinion bolt was loose and i tightened it up. Is it possible that i might have tightened it in the wrong position? Any help would be appreciated.

2005 c6
ECS BLOWER CAM, KOOKS LONG TUBES -N- X PIPE, CORSA SPORT EXHAUST, FERRA RACE VALVES, L92 HEADS, L76 INTAKE, YANK 3600 STALL, FINISHLINE LVL 5 TRANSMISSION, SNOW PERFORMANCE WATER METH INJ, JMS FUEL PUMP VOLT BOOSTER, 90# INJECTORS, PROCHARGER, INNER COOLER
Old 03-01-2015, 09:55 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

tie rod ends?
Old 03-01-2015, 10:46 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I would just change the sway bar end links. If you have never replaced them before, there's a good chance they're done.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:09 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,002 Likes on 2,166 Posts

Yep, with the car up, just unbolt one of the 2 ends to one of the sway bar ends, and check both end links for any play in them (have to unload one side from the sway bar so you can check both for play)

As for changing them, C note for all four (front and back), and not a bad idea to just change all of them then if you find one that is loose/worn out, since the chances are the others are on the way out as well.

Also with the car up, grab each tire top and bottom and see if you can get any flex of the hub . If the hub is on the way out, should be able to feel the play in the hubs bearing with the wheel in hand.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:52 PM
l7i7o7n
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default found the issue

I appreciate all of the help and support in finding the issue. Come to find out the issue was nothing like any of us thought. I found that the rack and pinion bolt was loose, and the entire rack and pinion was moving, so this is a note for the corvette guys to keep in mind.

Thank you all
Mr. Lynch

Get notified of new replies

To Clunk sounds in front driver side wheel area

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clunk sounds in front driver side wheel area