C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunion upgrade with Spinmonster cam?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 01:00 PM
JakeC6Racing
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trunion upgrade with Spinmonster cam?

I'm looking to get a Spinmonster cam with all the usual upgrades (valve springs, pushrods, timing chain, gaskets, bolts etc) but I'm on the fence with the trunion upgrade. I've seen some people have had issues with those and I'm considering not adding that upgrade.

Anyone have any input on that? I usually drive around 10k a year in the Vette and have never been to the track with it. Just some normal driving with occasional spirited runs.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:27 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Personally, I'd run the stockers for about 75K miles and then buy a new set of stockers. They're actually pretty good. I've heard enough horror stories about the trunion upgrades to get my attention. Where there's smoke.....

I'll temper that by saying that it parlyt depends on the lobe style used on your chosen cam. If you're running a really aggressive lobe, you might want to swap them earlier.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:39 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

I agree. I discussed this with one of our engineers and he pointed out the non-caged bearing in the OEM rockers have more needles in the same space and thus more load capacity/endurance.

As long as your car is not one of the years where the needles were falling out.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:05 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Three years no trouble yet.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:23 PM
JakeC6Racing
Pro

Originally Posted by Vito.A
I agree. I discussed this with one of our engineers and he pointed out the non-caged bearing in the OEM rockers have more needles in the same space and thus more load capacity/endurance.

As long as your car is not one of the years where the needles were falling out.
Its a 2011 GS with the dry sump I hope it isn't
Old 03-05-2015, 02:29 PM
JakeC6Racing
Pro

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Personally, I'd run the stockers for about 75K miles and then buy a new set of stockers. They're actually pretty good. I've heard enough horror stories about the trunion upgrades to get my attention. Where there's smoke.....

I'll temper that by saying that it parlyt depends on the lobe style used on your chosen cam. If you're running a really aggressive lobe, you might want to swap them earlier.
The Spinmonster is 230/234 .612/.598 114
Old 03-05-2015, 03:13 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeC6Racing
The Spinmonster is 230/234 .612/.598 114
Probably XFI and XER lobes. I wouldn't change the rockers for that cam. I've had exactly one stock rocker arm go t!ts up on me. That was several thousand miles after having to replace a broken valve spring on that valve. I think the rocker arms on that motor had over a hundred thousand miles on them. All miles were with a +.600 lift cam. I replaced them all. All but that one still felt tight to me. I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't much for 16 brand new GM rocker arms.

Get notified of new replies

To Trunion upgrade with Spinmonster cam?

Quick Reply: Trunion upgrade with Spinmonster cam?