C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 12:39 PM
JJB82
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel injectors

I have a 2009 C6 with approximately 30,000 miles on it. Is it a good idea for me to clean out my fuel injectors? If so, what is the best method to use? Are those fuel injector cleaners that you dump into your fuel tank a good idea?
Old 03-17-2015, 02:40 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Lets back step the injectors for a second, and touch on the fuel level sending unit in the passenger tank (your vet has two gas tanks, with a cross over tube between them.

The vet will use the fuel out of the passenger tank first, then when the fuel gauge in the dash reads about half full, the car has used all the fuel out of the passenger tank, and now using the fuel out of the drivers tank.

Over time with the car left with less with the fuel gauge under half full, this caused the rheostat bars on the passenger tank fuel level sender now in an empty tank to start to corrode, which causes the swiper bars that swipe across the bars to wear out faster. When the fuel level unit does wear out in the the tank, your looking at around $1K in labor to drop the tank and replace the $40 fuel sending unit.

How to you combat this, you either use a top tier fuel that has Techron in it, or you add Techron to the fuel about every three fills up instead. As for else Techron is doing, it's also cleaning the fuel system, including the injectors too.

As for Techron, Walmart carries it for around $6 a bottle (up to 15gal size), so the next time you are there, stock up on it, and again, about every third fill up, use a bottle in the tank (If you are not filling up at top tier fuel station that the fuel already has Techron in it).

Also to point out,
When you go to put fuel in the car, the drivers tank is first filled, then the fuel sloshes over to the passengers tank to fill it up lastly. So when adding techron via the bottle, let the car get under 1/2 full, then make sure to fill the car all the way up when you add the techron.

Last edited by Dano523; 03-17-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:30 PM
JJB82
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I did not expect a detailed answer like that. Thank you very much!
Old 03-17-2015, 05:48 PM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JJB82
I have a 2009 C6 with approximately 30,000 miles on it. Is it a good idea for me to clean out my fuel injectors? If so, what is the best method to use? Are those fuel injector cleaners that you dump into your fuel tank a good idea?
Hello,

Techron 2 X a year without any fuel sensor problems and car always runs great!

Douglas in Green Bay
Old 03-17-2015, 11:19 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

The bottom of the fuel sender reservoir is open to the left tank. The fuel pump pumps fuel to the right tank siphon pump which also fills the sender reservoir. The level in both tanks will drop at a even rate. The pump draws from both tanks.
Techtron is the best preventive medicine. As long as the car runs and idles well and the fuel trims are good there is no need for anything more than the occasion dose of techtron.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:00 PM
KENS80V
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by martysauto
The bottom of the fuel sender reservoir is open to the left tank. The fuel pump pumps fuel to the right tank siphon pump which also fills the sender reservoir. The level in both tanks will drop at a even rate. The pump draws from both tanks.
Techtron is the best preventive medicine. As long as the car runs and idles well and the fuel trims are good there is no need for anything more than the occasion dose of techtron.
The level in both tanks will drop at a even rate is completely INCORRECT!
Old 03-26-2015, 09:14 PM
KENS80V
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

The fuel is delivered to the engine from the drivers side fuel tank. The passenger side tank is drained first and is represented on the fuel gauge as from half to full. The passenger side tank continually transfers fuel to the driver side tank. It eventually is no longer able to transfer fuel to the other tank (empty). The driver side tank now drains down. This is represented on the fuel gauge as from half to empty.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel injectors

Quick Reply: Fuel injectors