C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Billet Alternators with new pricing

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 04:47 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Default Billet Alternators with new pricing

The Billet Alternator design for 2015 has not changed, but the pricing has. Still using the 6-phase stator, 12-pole rotor design.

This alternator is compact and powerful! This case design even fits aftermarket heads with elevated valve cover rails using Katech valve covers. Many Corvette Forum members are running this alternator and some have reported that some, if not all of their troublesome electrical gremlins have been eliminated due to overcoming the voltage deficiencies that plague the Corvettes. Low voltage issues in summer stop-and-go traffic? Gone with this upgrade. Stock alternators heat up and are unable to even produce anything close to their rated output. This design incorporates higher efficiency and better cooling to keep the alternator output voltage high, even in higher heat situations.

"So what is there to gain from using the Billet-Tech alternator over the factory original?"
Better system voltage. "So what does better system voltage gain me?"
Many of the electrical components in our cars will perform better with full voltage.
Our ignition coils, fuel injectors, fuel pumps, cooling fans, electric water pumps, headlights (and the list goes on) will all perform better with better system voltage.
Why go with a Billet-Tech alternator over others? Take a good look at the cases of the competitors and you will notice that none of them have the beefy, stronger ears that Billet-Tech provides on their cases. Instead, you'll find some skinny ears with pins pressed in. These are modified cases, designed for another vehicle, modified to fit our cars and not nearly as strong.
4 finish options offered: Machined, black anodized, polished and chrome. I am stocking the more popular black and polished 170 amp units. 240 amp units, machined and chrome units are special order. As long as they’re in stock, I ship ASAP, typically the next business day.
The 170amp units shipped:
Machined 489.00
Black 515.00
Polished 539.00
Chromed 589.00
Add 50.00 for the 240 amp option.

Texas Residents Add 7.75% sales tax

If you’re wanting a custom alternator and 14v battery with 16v charging, PM me for details.

C5 owners, PM me. I’ve got something for many of you as well.

Shipping within the continental US is included. Contact me for shipping outside the lower 48.
If your serpentine system is upgraded from the factory 6-rib to 8-rib, let me know because we'll need to make you a custom pulley for that at an additional cost.

If you have a "flip drive", "Secondary drive", "Direct drive" or any variant of it, you may need a shorter belt. The drives use a K060370
and K060365 or a Dayco 6PK915 or Goodyear 36" length belt are your shorter options.

Paypal to blownblueZ06@gmail.com
For credit card payments, send me a PM with your email address and I will forward you an invoice.

When sending your payment, please verify your shipping address, add a phone number for FedEx and please give me your car info. Year/model etc.

About the warranty:
All Billet-Tech alternators are backed by a 2 year performance guarantee against manufacturers defect, by the manufacturer. Please visit http://www.mechman.com for more details.
All sales final.

The left one is machined and the right is polished

Machined

Polished

Machined

Polished

Black Anodized

Update to the sale thread:
In addition to the alternator upgrades, I’m offering a new 1/0gauge hot bypass cable.
Over the years, I've tested many C6's and investigated many alternator failures. In conclusion, I've found a significant # of cars with massive voltage drops on the hot side. If you want to know if your car is one of them, take a volt meter. Run your car to full temp with the hood closed. Keep it running and turn on all the electrical items that you can. A/C on high, high beams etc. Then take your volt meter and measure from the output lug on the alternator to the mounting bracket or clean, shiny metal on the alternator (no anodized parts). write that # down. Then move to the passenger side and measure from the power distribution post at the fuse/relay box to chassis ground. Write that # down. Then go to the battery and measure across the posts. Not the terminals, but the actual posts. Write that # down. If the voltage at the battery is .3v less than the alternator measurement, then you have a problem. I've been finding drops of over 1 volt lately and the greatest drop has been on the positive side between the alternator and the power distribution post. What I've been doing to solve the problem is running a 1/0 gauge copper (not CCA) wire directly from the alternator output to the power distribution post and cutting the other cable off the alternator. How much there is to be gained is determined by how much drop you're experiencing from the alternator output to that power post. If you take your volt meter and touch one lead to the alternator output and the other to the power post (with the car still running and all the accessories on), it will read the actual amount of drop you're experiencing. Running the new cable will reduce that drop down to as low as .1v.

I'm offering these cables to anyone that doesn't want to build one on their own. I'm using good, high-strand 1/0 copper welding cable and covering it with a nice, nylon braid and heat shrink at each end. 99.00 with your alternator purchase and 115.00 shipped when purchased separately. Let me know if anyone's interested.

Offering products from A&A Superchargers, East Coast Superchargers, Mechman Alternators, Mantic clutches, RPS clutches, Kooks Headers, Lakewood, LG, Brian Tooley Racing, Comp Cams, FAST, ARP, UPP Turbo systems, Wiseco, Callies, K1, MAST Motorsports, Haltech and many more. PM me for details.

Last edited by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance; 09-14-2016 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:53 PM
Supporting Vendor

Here’s what some of the Corvette Forum Members have shared about their experience with this alternator:
Billet Tech comments and pics
Originally Posted by Unreal
One of the best upgrades I've done to date. Even with all my electronics and on 115+ days it still stays right at 14.3-14.4V. Stock alternator would be in the 11s when hot.
Originally Posted by under_psi
This. Mine is in the 11s now. Definitely a good upgrade.

Originally Posted by BRING IT
Just got mine installed last weekend and it was a awesome upgrade!

Originally Posted by NorthTXC6
the Black anodized looks great and performs perfectly; plus you can rotate the assembly so the electrical harness is down out of the way...plus, Bret was kind enough to install and put on some really cool alternator bolts....

Originally Posted by Smooth72
Great customer service. 14.6 volts at Idle and looks great.

Here’s a custom chrome unit on my ride, putting out 16v with a 14v AGM battery 

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Thanks to Bret for amazing service on this purchase. Most helpful and fast shipping.

Obviously the most important thing is how this unit performs, which I can't comment on yet. I will say the unit is pretty amazing looking for an alternator. Almost too nice. When I opened it up to clock it, and it looks like a piece of art inside. Didn't think to take a picture. Very impressive. Fits perfectly too.

Originally Posted by COMMANDER2OOO
got my new polished billet tech alternator lookin good an no more service charging system
Originally Posted by rob20rx7
Just put this in last week along with a powdercoated Bracket, Had to clean off the areas of contact to the block on the bracket after install. Forgot i needed this for proper ground. No biggie after a little work the finish product looks awesome. With my stereo system, electric fans ad MSD coils with 12v seperate Harness, car charges at 14.6v no issues even at idle with a 10% ATI underdrive pulley.

Awesome!

Old 03-22-2015, 10:00 AM
Supporting Vendor

Plenty in stock, ready for immediate shipment.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:18 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I really like mine. It solved my underdrive pulley issue!

Old 03-22-2015, 08:34 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

The billet black one I got from you has been in basically a year now. It has solved all the electrical issues I was having before its installation. The BEST mod to my Z06 that doesn't involve HP
Old 03-22-2015, 09:31 PM
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
The billet black one I got from you has been in basically a year now. It has solved all the electrical issues I was having before its installation. The BEST mod to my Z06 that doesn't involve HP
That's what I love to hear! Thanks for your purchase and feedback. I appreciate it.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:01 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Nodded Z with heads and pretty choppy cam.. What amps do you think will be enough for car..
Old 03-23-2015, 06:45 AM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

How much smaller is the body of this alternator than stock? I just put some valve covers on my car and had to clearance the alternator fins to get it fit. I want to make sure this would give me NO clearance issues and I would order the black one. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2015, 09:30 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by EnginerdVT
How much smaller is the body of this alternator than stock? I just put some valve covers on my car and had to clearance the alternator fins to get it fit. I want to make sure this would give me NO clearance issues and I would order the black one. Thanks!
Call these guys. They make a spacer.

http://www.d3performanceengineering.com/
Old 03-23-2015, 11:02 AM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Great call tmid38... I looked for something like this and never did find one. I'd still like to know how different in size the billet tech ones are...
Old 03-23-2015, 10:08 PM
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by RamAir972003
Nodded Z with heads and pretty choppy cam.. What amps do you think will be enough for car..
170 will be plenty.
I know the diameter of the stock alternators vary, but I can tell you that these have the same center as stock and a 5.285" body diameter.
Here's a CAD rendering of it. The green one is OE and the purple is the Billet tech. I was just telling someone else that I've got MAST Motorsport heads with a 1/2" raised valve cover rail and Katech valve covers, the tallest valve covers I've seen and no fitment issues. I've never had anyone with fitment issues, so if you end up having them, that'll be the first ever with this later design case.
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2015, 10:16 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT56
170 will be plenty. I know the diameter of the stock alternators vary, but I can tell you that these have the same center as stock and a 5.285" body diameter. Here's a CAD rendering of it. The green one is OE and the purple is the Billet tech. I was just telling someone else that I've got MAST Motorsport heads with a 1/2" raised valve cover rail and Katech valve covers, the tallest valve covers I've seen and no fitment issues. I've never had anyone with fitment issues, so if you end up having them, that'll be the first ever with this later design case.
It was me but I'm just scared that I buy this awesome black alternator and have to modify it to fit. Not sure I'm willing to take the chance but if it did I'd order it.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:10 PM
Supporting Vendor

Tape it up. Set it in place carefully so as to not scratch it at all. If it doesn't fit and is returned in new condition, I'll refund your full purchase price and even risk the cost of shipping if you'll pay return shipping.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:30 AM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

The Billet Alternator design for 2015 has not changed, but the pricing has. Still using the 6-phase stator, 12-pole rotor design.

This alternator is compact and powerful! This case design even fits aftermarket heads with elevated valve cover rails using Katech valve covers. Many Corvette Forum members are running this alternator and some have reported that some, if not all of their troublesome electrical gremlins have been eliminated due to overcoming the voltage deficiencies that plague the Corvettes. Low voltage issues in summer stop-and-go traffic? Gone with this upgrade. Stock alternators heat up and are unable to even produce anything close to their rated output. This design incorporates higher efficiency and better cooling to keep the alternator output voltage high, even in higher heat situations.

"So what is there to gain from using the Billet-Tech alternator over the factory original?"
Better system voltage. "So what does better system voltage gain me?"
Many of the electrical components in our cars will perform better with full voltage.
Our ignition coils, fuel injectors, fuel pumps, cooling fans, electric water pumps, headlights (and the list goes on) will all perform better with better system voltage.
Why go with a Billet-Tech alternator over others? Take a good look at the cases of the competitors and you will notice that none of them have the beefy, stronger ears that Billet-Tech provides on their cases. Instead, you'll find some skinny ears with pins pressed in. These are modified cases, designed for another vehicle, modified to fit our cars and not nearly as strong.
4 finish options offered: Machined, black anodized, polished and chrome. I am stocking the more popular black and polished 170 amp units. 240 amp units, machined and chrome units are special order. As long as they’re in stock, I ship ASAP, typically the next business day.
The 170amp units shipped:
Machined 489.00
Black 515.00
Polished 539.00
Chromed 589.00
Add 50.00 for the 240 amp option.

If you’re wanting a custom alternator and 14v battery with 16v charging, PM me for details.

C5 owners, PM me. I’ve got something for many of you as well.

Shipping within the continental US is included. Contact me for shipping outside the lower 48.
If your serpentine system is upgraded from the factory 6-rib to 8-rib, let me know because we'll need to make you a custom pulley for that at an additional cost.

If you have a "flip drive", "Secondary drive", "Direct drive" or any variant of it, you may need a shorter belt. The drives use a K060370
and K060365 or a Dayco 6PK915 or Goodyear 36" length belt are your shorter options.

Paypal to blownblueZ06@sbcglobal.net
For credit card payments, send me a PM with your email address and I will forward you an invoice.

When sending your payment, please verify your shipping address, add a phone number for FedEx and please give me your car info. Year/model etc.

About the warranty:
All Billet-Tech alternators are backed by a 2 year performance guarantee against manufacturers defect, by the manufacturer. Please visit http://www.mechman.com for more details.

The left one is machined and the right is polished

Machined

Polished

Machined

Polished

Black Anodized

Hi!

Your post was a good trigger to add some of your alternators to the Z06 OEM and Aftermarket Parts weight list.

Maybe you can help me to briefly answer a question.
Apparently there are two similar but slightly different websites that are relevant, i.e. www.mechman.com (this is the one that you are referring to in this thread) and www.billetalternator.com.

On the HOME > ALTERNATORS > CHEVROLET > CORVETTE page of the second website I see four 370 AMP alternators, two of which weigh 16 lbs. and two of which weigh 18 lbs.
Apart from this [weight] I cannot detect any obvious differences (apart, of course, from the machined/polished finish). My question: what do I miss here?

Thanks in advance!

Ronald
Old 03-24-2015, 07:38 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Tape it up. Set it in place carefully so as to not scratch it at all. If it doesn't fit and is returned in new condition, I'll refund your full purchase price and even risk the cost of shipping if you'll pay return shipping.
Great offer... I will be back up at the car this weekend to finish up a few things. Once I'm done and I see how bad the current trim job finishes up, I'll PM you if I want to go ahead and do it now. Sad part is that now I'll have to clean up the stock bracket to sit next to this gem!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:50 AM
Supporting Vendor

Great offer... I will be back up at the car this weekend to finish up a few things. Once I'm done and I see how bad the current trim job finishes up, I'll PM you if I want to go ahead and do it now. Sad part is that now I'll have to clean up the stock bracket to sit next to this gem!
If while you're at the car, you want to compare measurements between the Katech and Proform valve covers, PM me and I'll send my cell phone # and we can cover that.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:53 AM
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Z06Ronald
Hi!

Your post was a good trigger to add some of your alternators to the Z06 OEM and Aftermarket Parts weight list.

Maybe you can help me to briefly answer a question.
Apparently there are two similar but slightly different websites that are relevant, i.e. www.mechman.com (this is the one that you are referring to in this thread) and www.billetalternator.com.

On the HOME > ALTERNATORS > CHEVROLET > CORVETTE page of the second website I see four 370 AMP alternators, two of which weigh 16 lbs. and two of which weigh 18 lbs.
Apart from this [weight] I cannot detect any obvious differences (apart, of course, from the machined/polished finish). My question: what do I miss here?

Thanks in advance!

Ronald
Hi Ronald,
Good questions. The rotor is larger and heavier in the 370 amp model and should have a larger case. Billet tech is a line that Mechman owns.

Get notified of new replies

To Billet Alternators with new pricing

Old 03-26-2015, 10:14 AM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi Ronald,
Good questions. The rotor is larger and heavier in the 370 amp model and should have a larger case. Billet tech is a line that Mechman owns.
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, I can understand that a 370 amp model has a larger and heavier rotor and case compared to the lower amp models.
But SKU B7864370M and SKU B8172370M are both 370 amp, are both priced at $699 and at first glance seem identical to me in all other aspects too. Yet B7864370M weighs 18 lbs but B8172370M weighs 16 lbs. So that's still puzzling me ..
Old 03-29-2015, 10:21 AM
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Z06Ronald
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, I can understand that a 370 amp model has a larger and heavier rotor and case compared to the lower amp models.
But SKU B7864370M and SKU B8172370M are both 370 amp, are both priced at $699 and at first glance seem identical to me in all other aspects too. Yet B7864370M weighs 18 lbs but B8172370M weighs 16 lbs. So that's still puzzling me ..
Yeah, I'm not sure. I finally broke down and bought a shipping scale and weighed one of these billet tech 170 amp alternators. It came in at a mere 13.2lbs.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:21 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Is there a polished bracket or billet bracket that can be purchases with the alternators? I have been looking with not much luck. I have considered buying a stock bracket online and having it polished so I can do a direct swap. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Billet Alternators with new pricing