C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PRC ls7 head failure!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 09:48 PM
vic1989
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PRC ls7 head failure!

I'm curious if anyone has had any problems with the PRC ls7 valve guides. I currently have 3500 miles on my PRC heads and they are on the verge of dropping a valve!
Old 03-24-2015, 10:03 PM
C6z06man
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

What ar ether specs? Wiggle test or actual measurements? What's the mileage on the heads. PRC heads or they did your stock heads?
Old 03-24-2015, 10:14 PM
vic1989
Cruising

Originally Posted by C6z06man
What ar ether specs? Wiggle test or actual measurements? What's the mileage on the heads. PRC heads or they did your stock heads?
They are their PRC 285cc head.. With roughly 3500 miles.. all I did was a simple hand wiggle test with the springs still on it. I was pretty pissed about it so I didn't take the time tonight an take the spring off to get an actual measurement. But with slight pressure with a screw driver the rocker damn near falls off the valve!...Tomorrow ill get an measurement with a dial indicator.

Last edited by vic1989; 03-24-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:22 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Vic, I would try contacting PRC or Texas Speed of this issue. I'm pretty sure that they rectify this situation asap.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:45 PM
vic1989
Cruising

Originally Posted by Brandon619
Vic, I would try contacting PRC or Texas Speed of this issue. I'm pretty sure that they rectify this situation asap.
I plan to give them a shout. But I was curious though if any other member on here has had this issue. Not 2 weeks ago there was posts on another forum with two shops saying they have had nothing but issues with the PRC heads and there I was calling their BS and backing Texas speed up.. That was the real reason I figured I would check while I was swapping valve covers. This is something I don't want to happen again nor do I want a valve drop and destroy my built engine!

Last edited by vic1989; 03-24-2015 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:07 AM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Can you explain how you performed the test?
A screwdriver against a rocker does not sound correct.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:13 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

I too am curious how you checked.
A rocker arm will certainly move with the lifter at the bottom of the base circle of the cam.
You are going to drop a valve if your keepers are falling out or if the angle of the valve stem vs guide exceeds specification during the rotation of the cam, which basically turns the stem into a lever against the keepers and exceeds their holding capacity.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:03 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

I have a set of catty port PRC heads that had the valve guides wear out prematurely. Broke a valve spring at about 20k miles. This was a new motor bought from and assembled by TxSpeed. They offered to replace 1 (that would be one...and only one...the broken one) valve spring or sell me a full set at a reduced rate. Shortly after replacing the valve springs, I ended up pulling the heads due to excessive oil consumption. The machine shop said the valve guides were shot. I bought all new chit thinking I'd have a few miles without issues....stupid me.

Very mild cam too.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:09 PM
vic1989
Cruising

Originally Posted by old motorhead
I have a set of catty port PRC heads that had the valve guides wear out prematurely. Broke a valve spring at about 20k miles. This was a new motor bought from and assembled by TxSpeed. They offered to replace 1 (that would be one...and only one...the broken one) valve spring or sell me a full set at a reduced rate. Shortly after replacing the valve springs, I ended up pulling the heads due to excessive oil consumption. The machine shop said the valve guides were shot. I bought all new chit thinking I'd have a few miles without issues....stupid me.

Very mild cam too.
The night I noticed all I did was wiggle the spring and can tell they were way out of spec. What I meant with the screw driver was that with the rocker still on I can pry (with very little effort) on the head and the spring and almost make the rocker fall of the valve tip. Since then I pulled the heads and with the valve seated I have 0.025 of movement and with the valve opened a little bit the valve jumps up to 0.037. that is in mostly just the intake valves but there are a few exhaust that are that bad. On cylinder 6 there was a broke exhaust spring. Texas speed did say they would take care of all the head repairs free of charge but I'm more concerned if this is going to happen again!
Old 03-30-2015, 03:01 AM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by vic1989
The night I noticed all I did was wiggle the spring and can tell they were way out of spec. What I meant with the screw driver was that with the rocker still on I can pry (with very little effort) on the head and the spring and almost make the rocker fall of the valve tip. Since then I pulled the heads and with the valve seated I have 0.025 of movement and with the valve opened a little bit the valve jumps up to 0.037. that is in mostly just the intake valves but there are a few exhaust that are that bad. On cylinder 6 there was a broke exhaust spring. Texas speed did say they would take care of all the head repairs free of charge but I'm more concerned if this is going to happen again!
I would send both heads to them and let them take care of it get a repair statement document from them.

I'm sure they want to know if there's any longevity issues going on, is in their best interest.

You may also request a set of Pac springs for replacement.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:44 PM
GeneSch
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I had mine boxed up and ready to go to TS and Im glade I sent them to AH. Best of luck to you. Post a video of the play.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:07 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by xBoostx

I'm sure they want to know if there's any longevity issues going on, is in their best interest.

You may also request a set of Pac springs for replacement.
I thought that too. After they refused to replace the rest of my valve springs, I knew it was no use trying to get them to fix my heads. I like to support home state companies, but, I can say for sure, that they will be waiting a VERY long time on my next order.

Get notified of new replies

To PRC ls7 head failure!

Quick Reply: PRC ls7 head failure!