C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tps wheel sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 10:32 AM
jonesc6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tps wheel sensor

my tps sensor not working it shows 0 air pressure but I checked with guage an its fine. the question I have for anybody I found the sensors on ebay an amazon do they have to be programmed from dealer or should I go to dealer to get replaced?
Old 03-26-2015, 12:12 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

If it were me I'd go to Discount Tire to have them installed and programmed.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:41 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,014 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by jonesc6
my tps sensor not working it shows 0 air pressure but I checked with guage an its fine. the question I have for anybody I found the sensors on ebay an amazon do they have to be programmed from dealer or should I go to dealer to get replaced?
Out the gate, if you diconnected the battery, it's normal for the TPMS to read all O's in the DIC. Once you drive the car for about 10 mins, the TMPS in the tires will trigger, and send the needed information to the RCDLR to update the system/DIC read out.

So if you have driven the car for say 15 mins and the DIC is still reading 0's (and you know that all the tires have pressure since you checked them with a tire gauge, start with discount tire to just have the current TPMS in the tires relearned to the car (they will do this for free).

If the problem happens again, or Discount can not get the TPMS to scan in the first place, then by the OEM TPMS's for your cars year from Amazon (again, get the AC/Delco OEMs) then have discount replace the old OEM TPMS with the new OEM TPMS.

Note, The OEM units will last twice as long as the after market units before the batteries in them go south.

If Discount can get the TPMS to scan on the tool*, but the car will not relearn them/ can not get the car to go into TPMS relearn mode, then you may need to take the car to a dealer to have the RCDLR put into relearn mode instead with a Tech II tool.

*Tool showing that the TPMS is fine itself,

Since you own a vet, then a TPMS relearn too should be one of the tools that you own. Another must have tool is diagnostic program, hence something like a simple Elm 327 and ScanMaster-elm. Not only can it read engine codes and clear them, but you can go through the system to see if anything is starting to look off before the car throws a code.

Last edited by Dano523; 03-26-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:50 PM
EVRose
Race Director

^^He doesn't give any info in his profile about what year he has but looking through some other posts I think he has an 05. If that's the case he should have them all replaced due to age.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:09 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by EVRose
^^He doesn't give any info in his profile about what year he has but looking through some other posts I think he has an 05. If that's the case he should have them all replaced due to age.
I agree, profile can answer many a question!
Old 03-26-2015, 04:20 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,014 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
Maybe, or maybe not. 0's are not always a bad thing, such as the battery just being disconnected, or a RCDLR wigging out for a second from a drained car battery, and just driving the car, or having the TPMS relearned to the car will solve the problem.

A great example to this, late year, my right front TPMS was reading 0 in the DIC after driving it for a while, and after relearning the TPMS to the car, have not had the problem in over a year now (same TPMS still in that tire, just had a drained battery the wig'd the RCDLR and if forget some of the programing for that sensor).

It when the DIC starts showing XX's, that it a good sign that the TPMS battery is shot, and time to replace all the TPMS as the same time (so you know that all the batteries in the unit are strong again, and should be trouble free for 5 to 8 years, since this is the life expectancy of new OEM TPMS).

But yes, knowing his cars year, would allow use to make sure that his is buying the correct OEM TPMS for his vet if they need to be replaced. The 05 to 09 uses on type of TMPS, while the 2010 to 2013 uses another type.

Last edited by Dano523; 03-26-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:30 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Dano523

It when the DIC starts showing XX's, that it a good sign that the TPMS battery is shot, and time to replace all the TPMS as the same time (so you know that all the batteries in the unit are strong again, and should be trouble free for 5 to 8 years, since this is the life expectancy of new OEM TPMS).
Could not agree with you more!

How much you bet that someone will think that $160 for new set is expense and will asks how to replace the battery.

So here is a link.......

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...batteries.html
Old 03-26-2015, 04:35 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Well if he does indeed have an 05 with the original sensors then he's already 2 years past the life expectancy. But I do agree with the XX as opposed to the 0 meaning the batteries are failing.

Get notified of new replies

To tps wheel sensor

Quick Reply: tps wheel sensor