C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How-To: 3157 LED tail/turn light install w/ video!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 02:27 AM
VetteofSD
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts
Default How-To: 3157 LED tail/turn light install w/ video!

So I had a tail light burn out and decided to replace them with LED's. I'm not too crazy about the Angel/Ring tail lights, so I just went with a replacement bulb/plug-in. I think the instant on/off crispness is much more fitting on a C6 anyways.

Obviously, if you install the LED bulbs you will need resistors to prevent hyperflash. No problem. However (anyone that has attempted this probably knows) you'll notice that once you brake, all of the lights will activate as well (dashboard, parking lights etc) so it looks like a rolling light parade whenever you stop. If you signaled, all of the lights would flash with the turn signal also.

Link to the original problem if you're curious:

There is a very simple piece that needs to be included and you will have no issues! a small rectifier diode for each light to help control the leftover energy.

Very simple fix! Just one extra part is needed and will cost less than $5. The video should explain everything. I tried to show and explain everything clearly so if you follow this you shouldn't have any issues!

Thanks for watching and enjoy your lights!!

Last edited by VetteofSD; 03-27-2015 at 01:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
q80_ZO6 (03-05-2016)
Old 03-27-2015, 09:44 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Excellent video (and garage!)

I do have one question though. Do you only need the resistors and diodes on the outermost lights?

Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:16 PM
VetteofSD
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SEVINN
Excellent video (and garage!)

I do have one question though. Do you only need the resistors and diodes on the outermost lights?

Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Ahh! I knew I'd miss something! Yes you need to do this to each light since each of them flash while indicating. Luckily you can get the resistors in a pack of four.

The diodes (of course) come in a pack of three so you'll need two packs. They're only about $2.50 a pack though
Old 03-27-2015, 01:31 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by pwalsh117
Ahh! I knew I'd miss something! Yes you need to do this to each light since each of them flash while indicating. Luckily you can get the resistors in a pack of four.

The diodes (of course) come in a pack of three so you'll need two packs. They're only about $2.50 a pack though
Thanks
Old 03-27-2015, 01:56 PM
SteveDoten@ARH
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice work!!

Get notified of new replies

To How-To: 3157 LED tail/turn light install w/ video!

Quick Reply: How-To: 3157 LED tail/turn light install w/ video!