C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vararam Power Wedge LS3 results are in!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 10:34 AM
R1Racer
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vararam Power Wedge LS3 results are in!

Background: Car has a cam, heads, valve spring/retainer kit, Haltech intake, etc etc. I installed the VR wedge, because it was so cheap and their claims were pretty strong, so I figured screw it. Immediately upon installing I thought I noticed a slight bog off idle, but I decided to leave it on and let the computer work itself out.

30 days later I decided to see if this thing is working or not, so we put it on the dyno. Unfortunately, the VR did the exact opposite of what it claimed to do. It robbed 10tq right off idle and lost 10hp. We did 2 tests with it on, then two with it off, trying to keep coolant and oil temps within the same range. See attached dyno.

VR has great customer service and is refunding the order as promised. Just sad to see this product doesn't deliver the way their intakes do, just can't say I'm surprised.
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2015, 10:44 AM
Todds427
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Interesting info, I put one on my stock engine and it also had a small flat spot but after a tune, it runs better than ever. No dyno proof yet but maybe it works best with stock vs. modded stuff?
Old 03-27-2015, 10:52 AM
R1Racer
Intermediate

We do a lot of motorcycle tuning at our shop and there are often parts that produce power on the 'butt dyno' but lose power on a real dyno. In other words, it's simply perception, the part didn't actually help. Not saying that's the case with you.

It could be possible that the VR works better on an OE engine, but the guys there said that it will produce gains on any LS3 with a stock manifold and throttle body. Looking at the part, I didn't see how it could possible make the gains they claimed, but I was willing to try it.

Edit: How did you tune the car off of a dyno?

Last edited by R1Racer; 03-27-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:17 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Good info! I am not saying it works or doesn't work. My bet is that the margin of error on the dyno is 10 HP, plus you did it at different time, so that would be a factor as well.

For the record, I don't have one on my car.

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2015, 11:20 AM
R1Racer
Intermediate

We did the runs 10 minutes apart. As you can see, the car made very repeatable results. We did 2 pulls each way, with almost identical numbers. Pulled the VR wedge and gained 10hp and 10tq. Not much can be said to rationally dispute those results.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:53 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by R1Racer
We did the runs 10 minutes apart. As you can see, the car made very repeatable results. We did 2 pulls each way, with almost identical numbers. Pulled the VR wedge and gained 10hp and 10tq. Not much can be said to rationally dispute those results.
Sorry, I thought they were on different days.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:57 AM
R1Racer
Intermediate

All good! I'm sad it didn't work honestly. About 100$ for 10hp was just too good to be true, given the car's current state. Oh well, guess the manifold will be the next.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:50 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

You said the first 2 runs were with the wedge on. Are you basing the 10hp/tq loss on a previous dyno? If that wasn't on the same day, and some 30+days earlier, then the results could be flawed.

Assuming enough time was available, I would have done 2 runs with it on. Then removed it and done 2 more runs. Then reinstall it and do 2 more runs for a total of 6 runs. (2 w/wedge, 2 w/o wedge, 2 w/wedge) Then if runs 1&2 and 5&6 were down on power compared to runs 3&4, I'd say you have a definitive result. I'm not saying your results aren't accurate but they do have the potential to be inconclusive.

Still, your findings are appreciated. I did add a VR wedge to my H/C/FAST LS2 but I never had it dyno'd after installing it so I have no information to share. I usually feel most claims are too good to be true but, like you, for the price it was worth a try. If you saw any gains whatsoever I'd say it might be worth keeping. But to actually show a loss?! Now you have me questioning whether I should remove mine......
Old 03-28-2015, 12:01 AM
R1Racer
Intermediate

We did the runs from wedge on to wedge off 10 minutes apart. You can see the date and times on the dyno. We did 2 runs back to back with same engine oil and coolant temps, almost identical results. Then 2 runs back to back with same control methods without the VR wedge and picked up 10 HP and TQ and the bog I felt off idle was gone. Those 2 runs also netted almost identical results. Frankly, I didn't want to waste more money than I already had on this 'investment'.

I'm sure there are people who will say it's inconclusive, but to me the results speak for themselves. It might even work on other cars, but it definitely doesn't work on mine.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:50 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Details on the cars setup? If it is a NA LS3 it is very impressive especially the torque!
Old 03-28-2015, 01:07 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Vararam sent me one for testing quite some time ago. I have a very consistent running low 11's - high 10's LS3 A6 with just boltons. The first time I tried to install it, was after I had made two passes at the track and the bolt holes didn't line up correctly. I later found that the bolt patterns on IM's have a wide tolerance (neither of my 2 IM's would work) and Vararam confirmed that during our conversation. Apparently, the dimensions on the wedge were created using average IM dimensions, since the pattern dimensions didn't match the TB pattern.
Because of track problems (they permanently closed 3 weeks later) and the other track going through major changes (shut down for 9 months and still has internal management issues) the opportunity to test has not yet happened.
If I get the chance to do a fair test, I'll post results. However, getting a minimum of 6 passes on any given day are currently slim. The next closest track is 158 miles and after that it's around 400.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:23 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Here's another thread about the wedge with results in post #78.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...wer-wedge.html

I know you can't expect much of a performance gain from a <$100 mod but a power loss is concerning. Considering how long it has been on the market, there still aren't a lot of test results for this mod.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:05 PM
R1Racer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 5knives
Here's another thread about the wedge with results in post #78.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...wer-wedge.html

I know you can't expect much of a performance gain from a <$100 mod but a power loss is concerning. Considering how long it has been on the market, there still aren't a lot of test results for this mod.
I read that before buying. His results do not indicate more power necessarily, it could be any number or variables. He may have even netted more traction due to the loss of power. No telling. Fortunately, I chose a nice, easily verifiable method to determine it's effectiveness.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:19 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

I read that before buying. His results do not indicate more power necessarily, it could be any number or variables. He may have even netted more traction due to the loss of power. No telling. Fortunately, I chose a nice, easily verifiable method to determine it's effectiveness.

I agree. I don't put much stock into a .05 difference, whether it's a gain or a loss. Although there are other posts in that thread from shops claiming to have seen gains, it bothers me that you showed a loss, and a substantial loss at that. (i'm sure it bothers you more) I personally like tests showing before, after, before but understandably that isn't always possible for people.

I was hoping more owners/shops had test results for this product. But then again, considering it's cost, I imagine most people aren't willing to spend more for the dyno time than the actual mod cost. Just install and hope for the best.

I'm glad VR is taking care of you.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:54 AM
hotrod03
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

yah but when you dyno you have no ram air. Your just sitting in one spot?
Old 11-29-2016, 11:47 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Background: Car has a cam, heads, valve spring/retainer kit, Haltech intake, etc etc. I installed the VR wedge, because it was so cheap and their claims were pretty strong, so I figured screw it. Immediately upon installing I thought I noticed a slight bog off idle, but I decided to leave it on and let the computer work itself out.

30 days later I decided to see if this thing is working or not, so we put it on the dyno. Unfortunately, the VR did the exact opposite of what it claimed to do. It robbed 10tq right off idle and lost 10hp. We did 2 tests with it on, then two with it off, trying to keep coolant and oil temps within the same range. See attached dyno.

VR has great customer service and is refunding the order as promised. Just sad to see this product doesn't deliver the way their intakes do, just can't say I'm surprised.
Good info. Thanks for posting this!

Get notified of new replies

To Vararam Power Wedge LS3 results are in!

Quick Reply: Vararam Power Wedge LS3 results are in!