C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base to Z51 completely

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 01:14 PM
elcajonblvd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Base to Z51 completely

Hi all,
Going base to Z51 on an 07'... shocks, and sway bars and the transverse springs.
Is their ANY thing else suspension wise different?

also the spring price and install is more pricey than the rest...Iv heard the rear sping is almost the same? so considering not doing that, thoughts?

thanks all!
Old 03-31-2015, 08:56 PM
elcajonblvd
Advanced

the transverse springs almost 400 a piece
Old 03-31-2015, 09:11 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Back spring is fine (base same as the Z51), it's only the front spring that needs to be changed out to a FE3.

So sways, the front spring, and as for the shocks, would stay away from the Z-51 shocks (have a rebound problem for high speed tracks that are slightly on the rougher side) and either go to Koni FSD;s if you are DD the car more (better as handing small road chatter), or if you plan on pushing the car harder, then go to the DRM shocks, instead.

As for going to Z06 sways, unless you get the tire grip of z06 wider tires, then stay with the Z51 sway bars.

As for brakes, only takes the z51 larger rotors, the Z-51 caliper bracket to push your base calipers out to the work with the Z-51 rotors (read the base, Z-51 calipers are pretty much the same), then switch over to either the HD Z-51 brake pads, or after market units (the base ceramic pads do not have the same bite/feel of the HD pads).

As for the rest, you get into the coolers that the Z-51 has, as well as the different geared trans.

Really, the Z-51 set up was more for smooth parking lot type, auto cross racing, and if you are setting the car up for high speed work instead, then the Z51 shocks are the weak part of the system: again, due to rebound problems when coming out of a corner under power that has some surface chop, which the back end will want to chatter walk out on you since the z-51 shocks do not handle such well.

P.S, when you get done, will need a wheel alignment for all for all 4 tires.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:56 PM
elcajonblvd
Advanced

my title should have said Z51 "suspension" completely... that back end not handling "high speed rough road" was why I was shying away from the Z06 shock and going Z51... im trying to avoid exactly what you said, so thanks.
what do you think of the z06 shock? ( their issuch a good deal on them ) I have been a big fan of bilstien in the past ( have no corvette experience though )
Old 03-31-2015, 11:03 PM
elcajonblvd
Advanced

you think those koni would same stiffness as z51 ?
Old 03-31-2015, 11:13 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Why don't you do some Z06 shocks? The Z51 suspension is not noticeable on a street driven car but will be noticed on the track. If you add some Z06 shocks and a good set of sway bar you should be good to go.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:16 PM
SRuizV
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I upgraded my base suspension to a z51 suspension myself, I replaced the front spring to a z51 front spring, replaced both sway bars to z51, and also replaced the shocks to the beilstein. Im very happy with the changes.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:49 PM
elcajonblvd
Advanced

Originally Posted by Brandon619
Why don't you do some Z06 shocks? The Z51 suspension is not noticeable on a street driven car but will be noticed on the track. If you add some Z06 shocks and a good set of sway bar you should be good to go.
im afraid it wont gel well with the rest of the suspension.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:53 PM
elcajonblvd
Advanced

Originally Posted by SRuizV
I upgraded my base suspension to a z51 suspension myself, I replaced the front spring to a z51 front spring, replaced both sway bars to z51, and also replaced the shocks to the beilstein. Im very happy with the changes.
which Beilstiens did you go with?
Old 04-01-2015, 06:27 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by elcajonblvd
you think those koni would same stiffness as z51 ?
Yes, but they they do a little better on light road chop for DD (what the FSD is all about).

Moving away from the base shock/suspension is going to increase the amount of road feel (firm the suspension up), and if you are going to be pounding on the car hard, then get the DRM shocks from the start.

Bluntly, the Z-51, Z06, Koni shock are firm, as well as the Bilstein, but Doug had Bilstein re-vavle their shocks to his spec's to work better on the vets for hard driving.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:10 PM
thedigitel
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're on the right path. I recently upgraded all my suspension components on my base. I found a good deal on the leaf springs, so I did both of those, the sway bars, and I installed Bilstein Sport shocks.

I'll be honest, the Bilstein Sports are pretty harsh over expansion joints and rough, uneven roads. I would probably go with the HD model if I could do it again, then again my Vette is my DD.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:50 PM
elcajonblvd
Advanced

Originally Posted by thedigitel
You're on the right path. I recently upgraded all my suspension components on my base. I found a good deal on the leaf springs, so I did both of those, the sway bars, and I installed Bilstein Sport shocks.

I'll be honest, the Bilstein Sports are pretty harsh over expansion joints and rough, uneven roads. I would probably go with the HD model if I could do it again, then again my Vette is my DD.
how much did you pay for the springs? were they hard to install?

do you like the rebound of the bilstiens?
Old 04-02-2015, 02:54 PM
GTIGLI
Heel & Toe

Not to steal the OP's thunder and to continue on...

I recently purchased a Z51 car. The sway bar links are shot, and I have a set to put on, but the car does seem to float quite a bit. The car has 42k miles on it, but it is 7 years old...do the OE shocks not last that long? I like the idea of the FSD's for everyday driving, are the Z06 factory units a good daily driver strut, and do the match well to the Z51 spring rate?
Old 04-02-2015, 03:01 PM
thedigitel
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much did you pay for the springs? were they hard to install?

do you like the rebound of the bilstiens?

Well, I got a steal on the springs.. I paid less than $100 for both. And yes, they were an absolute PITA to install... but mostly because of the lowering bolts being seized up in my old springs which took hours to remove.

The rear was not too bad, I disconnected the upper shock bolts and say bar end links to drop the suspension down far enough. The front was more complicated and I had to disconnect the shocks, sway bar end-links, upper A-arm bolts, as well as the tie-rod ends to get it to droop low enough... even then it was pretty tight getting the springs in and out. I think disconnecting the lower A-arm bolts would be a smarter move if I had to do it again.

As for the Bilsteins, the rebound dampening is worlds better than the base shocks, which on my car with 45k were super soft and bouncy. The car handles very well and doesn't get upset by small bumps when you're on the power. I haven't had a chance to take the car to the track yet, but I have a feeling I'm going to be very happy with them in that environment. I also haven't had a chance to take the car to the strip yet, but I'm hoping that wheel hop is under control.

My last C6 was a Z51 model, and the Bilsten Sports feel a lot firmer over rough roads, but it's been long enough that my memory isn't that great of how my old car rode. I'm going to give them another month before I buy Bilstein HDs... maybe I'll get used to the ride or they will get softer with the warmer weather and some more miles on them... we'll see.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:35 PM
SRuizV
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I installed the beilsten sport, the ride is a little rough depending on the road, I don't mind at all, specially when im at the canyons
Old 04-04-2015, 10:56 PM
hrt vlv
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Check out the Penske line of Shocks and springs. the guy in reading ,pa is involve with race teams. Very smart fella
Old 04-05-2015, 01:18 AM
elcajonblvd
Advanced

Well, I got a steal on the springs.. I paid less than $100 for both. And yes, they were an absolute PITA to install... but mostly because of the lowering bolts being seized up in my old springs which took hours to remove.

The rear was not too bad, I disconnected the upper shock bolts and say bar end links to drop the suspension down far enough. The front was more complicated and I had to disconnect the shocks, sway bar end-links, upper A-arm bolts, as well as the tie-rod ends to get it to droop low enough... even then it was pretty tight getting the springs in and out. I think disconnecting the lower A-arm bolts would be a smarter move if I had to do it again.

As for the Bilsteins, the rebound dampening is worlds better than the base shocks, which on my car with 45k were super soft and bouncy. The car handles very well and doesn't get upset by small bumps when you're on the power. I haven't had a chance to take the car to the track yet, but I have a feeling I'm going to be very happy with them in that environment. I also haven't had a chance to take the car to the strip yet, but I'm hoping that wheel hop is under control.

My last C6 was a Z51 model, and the Bilsten Sports feel a lot firmer over rough roads, but it's been long enough that my memory isn't that great of how my old car rode. I'm going to give them another month before I buy Bilstein HDs... maybe I'll get used to the ride or they will get softer with the warmer weather and some more miles on them... we'll see.
did u have new bushings ( looks like they have some sort of rubber pad or something ) for the springs?

Get notified of new replies

To Base to Z51 completely

Old 04-05-2015, 01:32 AM
elcajonblvd
Advanced

Originally Posted by GTIGLI
Not to steal the OP's thunder and to continue on...

I recently purchased a Z51 car. The sway bar links are shot, and I have a set to put on, but the car does seem to float quite a bit. The car has 42k miles on it, but it is 7 years old...do the OE shocks not last that long? I like the idea of the FSD's for everyday driving, are the Z06 factory units a good daily driver strut, and do the match well to the Z51 spring rate?
interesting, I was told the links were pretty rock solid on the C6 and not to get them with my new z51 swaybars... was it visually obvious they were bad?
Old 04-05-2015, 01:51 AM
Dano523
Race Director

interesting, I was told the links were pretty rock solid on the C6 and not to get them with my new z51 swaybars... was it visually obvious they were bad?
Someone lied to you.
I go through a set of sway bar end links every few years of hard driving. As for DD car, seems that they wear out around 40k (at least one of them, and just change them all since if one is going out, the rest are soon to follow).

As for checking them, pull them off, stick each threaded end in a vise lightly, then pivot each side. They should pivot on the firmer side, but should not feel extra movement of the ball in socket when they are pivoting.

On the positive note, a OEM set of all 4 is only around $100, and take less than a hour to change them out in your own garage (most of the time is just putting the car on jack stands so you can pull the tires to change the end links).

As for the Z-51 shock, it's Nitrogen charge is on the greater side, and it part of the spring set up. When you install Koni FSD's, the car will ride lower, so double check the ride height if it needs to be adjusted/re-corner balanced, and don't forget that the tires (all 4) will need to be re-aligned as well.

Last edited by Dano523; 04-05-2015 at 01:54 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:16 AM
elcajonblvd
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dano523
Someone lied to you.
I go through a set of sway bar end links every few years of hard driving. As for DD car, seems that they wear out around 40k (at least one of them, and just change them all since if one is going out, the rest are soon to follow).

As for checking them, pull them off, stick each threaded end in a vise lightly, then pivot each side. They should pivot on the firmer side, but should not feel extra movement of the ball in socket when they are pivoting.

On the positive note, a OEM set of all 4 is only around $100, and take less than a hour to change them out in your own garage (most of the time is just putting the car on jack stands so you can pull the tires to change the end links).

As for the Z-51 shock, it's Nitrogen charge is on the greater side, and it part of the spring set up. When you install Koni FSD's, the car will ride lower, so double check the ride height if it needs to be adjusted/re-corner balanced, and don't forget that the tires (all 4) will need to be re-aligned as well.
holy cow, that would have not been good for me... im 54000m so it sounds like I better get those swaybar end links for sure

Quick Reply: Base to Z51 completely