C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission leak again?

Old 04-12-2015, 03:36 PM
Sonic1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission leak again?

Greetings,
I have a 05 C6 base model automatic with approximately 110,000 miles. I had a transmission leak in Nov 13 coming from the rear of the vehicle. Fix was to pull the transmission and replace the seals/gaskets. Grand total was around $1500 because of the labor of pulling the transmission.

Fast forward to yesterday...I walk out into my garage and spied fluid coming out from under the front of the car. It's red, silky, and odorless so I'm assuming it's transmission fluid.

It wasn't a ton of fluid, maybe 1/4 of a quart. I drove it and there was nothing out of the norm...smooth shifting. I met up with a friend and played round of golf and came back and no leaking in the parking lot. So I drove home and still smooth. I put a cardboard box under the spot and checked in the morning and again about 1/4 of quart on the box. So, it's only leaking when the car gets cold?

I'm hoping it's just a leaking hose and that they don't have to pull the transmission again?

Has anybody had to deal with this? Any insights?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2015, 05:52 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Find the source of the leak. With any luck, it just a loose fitting for the cooler lines, and can be resolved cheaply/under repair warranty of the last correction.

As for replacing a seals, this only works if the bearings are still good for the shaft that the seal goes on. If you go to replace a seal, and the shaft bearing is shot, then it going to destroy the new seal in record time, since the shaft is oblong torquing all over the place as it's spin.

But here is the good thing, and if you had GM replace the seals and it the problem again, then they have to warranty the work for a given amount of time. So if the bearing is shot and took out the new seal, and they have to replace the bearing as well now, then that is all them since they missed it the first time around in the repair.

And yes, trans need to be partially torn apart to replace the shaft bearings.

As for the down side, bank that the dealer is going to come up with something else that caused the new seal to leak instead if that is the problem ( read a brand new problem, and going to do this so they don't eat the cost of the repair now).

If you trust the dealer, then let them loose on the car. If you don't trust the dealer, then get GM involved, and let them tell you which dealer to take the car to get check out instead.

So on that note again, get under the car and find the source of the leak. With luck, it something simple to fix like the trans cooler lines connection point to the trans, and does not become a ordeal instead.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:19 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Sonic1
Greetings,
I have a 05 C6 base model automatic with approximately 110,000 miles. I had a transmission leak in Nov 13 coming from the rear of the vehicle. Fix was to pull the transmission and replace the seals/gaskets. Grand total was around $1500 because of the labor of pulling the transmission.

Fast forward to yesterday...I walk out into my garage and spied fluid coming out from under the front of the car. It's red, silky, and odorless so I'm assuming it's transmission fluid.

It wasn't a ton of fluid, maybe 1/4 of a quart. I drove it and there was nothing out of the norm...smooth shifting. I met up with a friend and played round of golf and came back and no leaking in the parking lot. So I drove home and still smooth. I put a cardboard box under the spot and checked in the morning and again about 1/4 of quart on the box. So, it's only leaking when the car gets cold?

I'm hoping it's just a leaking hose and that they don't have to pull the transmission again?

Thanks!
The transmission is in the rear... so if it's leaking up front, it's likely from an oil line which runs up to radiator. There are two lines and they run from the transmission, along the torque tube, to the radiator up front. They are hard metal lines. Check the power steering fluid and see how it compares to what you found as well just to see if there's any possibility that it's that instead.

Otherwise, start looking for a leak!
Old 04-12-2015, 09:26 PM
Sonic1
Advanced

First off, thanks for your responses. @schpenxel, I just checked the power steering fluid and it appears to be filled to where it is supposed to be. Plus, the leaking fluid is red in color. I know that power steering when new is red but when I stuck my finger in the reservoir it is darker in color, perhaps dirtier? The fluid under the car is clearer in color suggesting that it is newer supporting the fact that I had the transmission fluid replaced when they replaced the gaskets in 2013.

I don't have a way to get under the car right now. The leak is coming from the front center of the car about 1/4 of the way back parallel from the front tires(give or take a foot either way) based on where I placed the cardboard.

@Dano, I'm hoping you're right about the problem being the trans cooler lines connection point to the trans. That would be a simple fix. I've had pretty good luck with the GM dealer here and have an appointment in the morning.

If they have to pull the transmission again, I'm going to bust out the receipt from 2013 and see if they will work with me on the labor because it's quite possible they missed something.

Crossing my fingers!!! Thanks again for your responses.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:45 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

First off, thanks for your responses. @schpenxel, I just checked the power steering fluid and it appears to be filled to where it is supposed to be. Plus, the leaking fluid is red in color. I know that power steering when new is red but when I stuck my finger in the reservoir it is darker in color, perhaps dirtier? The fluid under the car is clearer in color suggesting that it is newer supporting the fact that I had the transmission fluid replaced when they replaced the gaskets in 2013.

I don't have a way to get under the car right now. The leak is coming from the front center of the car about 1/4 of the way back parallel from the front tires(give or take a foot either way) based on where I placed the cardboard.

If they have to pull the transmission again, I'm going to bust out the receipt from 2013 and see if they will work with me on the labor because it's quite possible they missed something.
Power steering fluid is typically not red these days.. but some people still use ATF as power steering fluid, so I just wanted to be sure it wasn't that.. sounds like not.

There is a connection for the oil lines right where you're talking about.. it's near the passenger side front tire. That's the first place I'd look. You can see it here.. towards the front of the torque tube (if you zoom in real close you'll see a clear hose.. that I just put on to stop fluid from draining out.. but that's where the connection is)

Old 04-12-2015, 09:54 PM
Sonic1
Advanced

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Power steering fluid is typically not red these days.. but some people still use ATF as power steering fluid, so I just wanted to be sure it wasn't that.. sounds like not.

There is a connection for the oil lines right where you're talking about.. it's near the passenger side front tire. That's the first place I'd look. You can see it here.. towards the front of the torque tube (if you zoom in real close you'll see a clear hose.. that I just put on to stop fluid from draining out.. but that's where the connection is)

So you think it's this connection? That's a fairly easy fix then, correct? I hope this is the case.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:04 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

So you think it's this connection? That's a fairly easy fix then, correct? I hope this is the case.
That's where I'd start looking..

Difficulty of fix is going to depend on what's wrong with it. If you have to replace the whole line then that looks like a royal PITA. I've only worked on an M6, so I can't really say how hard it would be to replace.

First things first.. I'd try to inspect that connection and see what you find
Old 04-13-2015, 11:52 AM
RICH 28
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

Check water pump, it could be leaking. Dexcool is red in color too.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:32 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by RICH 28
This is my thinking...it may not be trans fluid at all. The power steering fluid is not red, so that's likely not it. You need to be more specific about where it is coming from. Coolant tastes sweet, so you can try just touching a bit to the tongue and see. Rinse well and no problems.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:57 PM
Sonic1
Advanced

Originally Posted by RICH 28
Yep, it's the water pump. It somehow escaped me that Dexcool is synthetic and silky to the touch and red. The car never overheated so that's why I didn't suspect it.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised as it's the original one and the car has 110,000 miles on it. I love taking my car to the dealer too. They asked me again if I wanted to sell. I said sure for $30K (if they actually offered that I would take it). They said they'd get back to me. Yeah, ok....hopefully this car keeps on performing for another 90K miles. I have loved not having a car payment for 4 1/2 years!

Thanks very much for your responses!
Old 04-13-2015, 04:31 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I thought Dex, too, but I wasn't quick enuff. Rich and Chris are the diagnosticians of the day! Altho water pump isn't easy; just good to know what it is.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:43 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Yep, it's the water pump. It somehow escaped me that Dexcool is synthetic and silky to the touch and red. The car never overheated so that's why I didn't suspect it.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised as it's the original one and the car has 110,000 miles on it. I love taking my car to the dealer too. They asked me again if I wanted to sell. I said sure for $30K (if they actually offered that I would take it). They said they'd get back to me. Yeah, ok....hopefully this car keeps on performing for another 90K miles. I have loved not having a car payment for 4 1/2 years!

Thanks very much for your responses!
Good deal! The water pump isn't that bad to change..
Old 04-14-2015, 11:04 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Good deal! The water pump isn't that bad to change..
Certainly better than any trans problem...
Old 04-14-2015, 08:32 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by cclive
Certainly better than any trans problem...
And I learned the hard way that Amazon can have you a new one on Sunday if you order it by noon on Saturday, unlike my local part stores!

(not in all areas, but it sure was nice..)
Old 11-29-2016, 07:52 AM
mhaider
1st Gear

Default Same Transmission OIL leaking problem in Corvette C6 when its started/Cold

Greetings,

Thanks!
Dear I also have facing same problem, when car is cold its leaking but after some drive its smooth, So how do you fix that problem , what was issue, did you replace the seals/gaskets again?

Many thanks for usefull sharing
M Haroon
haroon.haider@hotmail.com
+966 555 03 0145
Old 11-29-2016, 06:53 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

"mhaider" I presume you are in another country. Please see post #10. For Sonic1, the problem was not the transmission; it was the water pump. The water pump and gaskets need to be replaced.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission leak again?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission leak again?