C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer issues

Old 04-16-2015, 07:21 AM
Z06ish
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Speedometer issues

I put a 09 3.42 diff into my a4 05 car. I used to have 2.73s. Changed the tune to reflect the new gears however when I accelerate the speedometer and HUD stays on 0 mph until I let off and then the speedometer will
jump instantly to the correct speed. We changed the swapped out the vss sensor on top of the diff and the same thing happens. With hp tuners the vss speed and actual speed both read the entire time, but do not match, does the ECM read from a different speed sensor/table when accelerating vs coasting? Anyone seen this before?
Old 04-16-2015, 11:53 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Z06ish
I put a 09 3.42 diff into my a4 05 car. I used to have 2.73s. Changed the tune to reflect the new gears however when I accelerate the speedometer and HUD stays on 0 mph until I let off and then the speedometer will
jump instantly to the correct speed. We changed the swapped out the vss sensor on top of the diff and the same thing happens. With hp tuners the vss speed and actual speed both read the entire time, but do not match, does the ECM read from a different speed sensor/table when accelerating vs coasting? Anyone seen this before?
If he doesn't chime in, PM Dennis50nj. He dealt with this in his 05 and I've seen him post about it in years past, I think he figured it out.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:34 AM
Z06ish
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joe_G
If he doesn't chime in, PM Dennis50nj. He dealt with this in his 05 and I've seen him post about it in years past, I think he figured it out.
I contacted him and he indicated it only happened at hard launches at the track. I have found other threads that indicate that seems to happen at the track on 05's with large stalls etc. My issue seems to be a little different as my speedometer drops to zero on pretty much any decent acceleration on the street. My setup consist of a 05 cammed supercharged LS2, RPM built 4l65E, Circle D 3200 stall and an 09 3.42 rear end. I had no speedometer issues until I swapped to the newer style rear end. I only swapped because my 2.73s in my 05 rear started to whine pretty bad. Anybody?
Old 04-20-2015, 01:32 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06ish
I contacted him and he indicated it only happened at hard launches at the track. I have found other threads that indicate that seems to happen at the track on 05's with large stalls etc. My issue seems to be a little different as my speedometer drops to zero on pretty much any decent acceleration on the street. My setup consist of a 05 cammed supercharged LS2, RPM built 4l65E, Circle D 3200 stall and an 09 3.42 rear end. I had no speedometer issues until I swapped to the newer style rear end. I only swapped because my 2.73s in my 05 rear started to whine pretty bad. Anybody?
mine did it with the gear change and it will do it on a faster launch on the street it doesnt have to be a race, just leaving a light or stop sign quick, it will read no mph until i let off the throttle, i think its the after market gears,
Old 04-24-2015, 12:31 PM
Z06ish
Instructor

With the help of Todd at RPM Transmissions and Victor at VZ Autoworks, we finally got it fixed. It is a tuning issue and has to do with HP tuners and the "odd" 05 computer. I do not know the exact fix as there was quite a bit of trial and error, but all the tables have to be manipulated manually, not utilizing the auto configuration features within HP tuners. Traction is an even bigger issue now going from 2.73s to 3.42s with my setup, but at least I know how many MPH my rear tires are spinning at and it shifts correctly.

Get notified of new replies

To Speedometer issues

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speedometer issues