C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 Timing Chain

Old 04-17-2015, 12:46 AM
prat
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 Timing Chain

Im preparing to install a fairly aggressive Comp LSXR Cam on my 2008 C6 LS3 along with necessary component upgrades, rockers, push rods, valve springs, ect. The Cam is a single bolt so i can use the existing sprocket and timing chain. id rather avoid the extra work of dropping the oil pan and removing the oil pump to change the timing chain. The existing chain has 20k mile on it. Any opinions as to the wisdom of using the existing chain and sprocket or should i go the extra yard and upgrade it as well.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:52 AM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

Default pan out...

Considering your millage you should be ok, I'm doing similar work but include 13 to 1 compression so I will replace for an Iwis chain.

However you do not need to drop your oil pan to change your timing chain, you do however need to "if" you are changing your oil pump.

For performance cam it is a good practice to change the cam to a three bolt in which case you change cam sprocket.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:39 AM
wyoc6
Cruising

I am doing a cam install on my 22k mile car and decided a c5r chain was a good idea while I was there.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:20 AM
prat
6th Gear

Default Timing Chain

Originally Posted by xBoostx
Considering your millage you should be ok, I'm doing similar work but include 13 to 1 compression so I will replace for an Iwis chain.

However you do not need to drop your oil pan to change your timing chain, you do however need to "if" you are changing your oil pump.

For performance cam it is a good practice to change the cam to a three bolt in which case you change cam sprocket.
Thanks for the advice. The three bolt cam and sprocket makes good sense considering the a additional stresses along with a performance timing chain.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:23 AM
prat
6th Gear

Default Timing Chain

Originally Posted by wyoc6
I am doing a cam install on my 22k mile car and decided a c5r chain was a good idea while I was there.
Thanks for your comment. i going to change my timing chain as well.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:32 AM
JakeC6Racing
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Installing a cam with 30k miles on my ls3 in about 2 weeks and I decided to change the timing chain to the c5r as well. Cheap insurance and preventative maintenance.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:13 AM
JWell
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by prat
Im preparing to install a fairly aggressive Comp LSXR Cam on my 2008 C6 LS3 along with necessary component upgrades, rockers, push rods, valve springs, ect. The Cam is a single bolt so i can use the existing sprocket and timing chain. id rather avoid the extra work of dropping the oil pan and removing the oil pump to change the timing chain. The existing chain has 20k mile on it. Any opinions as to the wisdom of using the existing chain and sprocket or should i go the extra yard and upgrade it as well.
I just had a cam installed in my GS. It has 22,5xx miles on it. I did the C5R timing chain upgrade and I think you should too. Back in 08 or 09 there were a rash of LS3 cars breaking timing chains when aftermarket cams were installed. It's cheap insurance, those C5R chains hardly ever break.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:24 PM
prat
6th Gear

Originally Posted by JWell
I just had a cam installed in my GS. It has 22,5xx miles on it. I did the C5R timing chain upgrade and I think you should too. Back in 08 or 09 there were a rash of LS3 cars breaking timing chains when aftermarket cams were installed. It's cheap insurance, those C5R chains hardly ever break.
Thanks for the info, I agree, I'm going to replace the timing chain as well.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:29 PM
prat
6th Gear

Originally Posted by JakeC6Racing
Installing a cam with 30k miles on my ls3 in about 2 weeks and I decided to change the timing chain to the c5r as well. Cheap insurance and preventative maintenance.
Thanks, seems that the c5r is the way to go.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:20 PM
tuboy19
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You do not have to drop the oil pan to change the oil pump on a Corvette. Personally I am not a fan of the LS3 tensioner as the plastic section tends to break off. I would switch to a LS2 style dampener while you are in there. I swapped over on mine and it hasn't given any problems and it's one less thing to break. I agree with others on the C5R chain as well.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:04 AM
SilverC(sex)
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

C5R is the way i went also! Dropping off my 08 LS3 to do a cam install this week and wanted the insurance of having a stronger more reliable timing chain to prevent any problem that could possibly arise later down the road if i used the stock timing chain
Old 04-21-2015, 04:58 AM
lockman
Burning Brakes

yea when I did my cam swap I went with a double roller for added insurance. and mine only had 5k on it when I did that.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:34 AM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Most of the aftermarket LS series cams are now coming with 3 bolts.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:19 AM
prat
6th Gear

Originally Posted by SilverC(sex)
C5R is the way i went also! Dropping off my 08 LS3 to do a cam install this week and wanted the insurance of having a stronger more reliable timing chain to prevent any problem that could possibly arise later down the road if i used the stock timing chain
After reading all the informative comments, it's a no brainier. I will most likely go with the C5R timing chain along with 3 bolt cam and new sprocket.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:10 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

I'm sorry... exccccuse me! how would you get the chain off if you don'r take the oil pump off? is the LS3 different? on an LS 2 you can change both the chain and oil pump WITHOUT taking the oil pan off.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:59 PM
ZHZ-416ci
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

On my previous car (cammed chevy caprice ppv ) I used C5-R
it was great upgrade

Get notified of new replies

To LS3 Timing Chain

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS3 Timing Chain