C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque tube bearings

Old 04-18-2015, 11:09 AM
Won-it Vette
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Torque tube bearings

I have a 07 Z-51, 6sp auto with 66,000 miles. Recently the car developed a metallic buzzing sound (like a shield was loose, or a loose exhaust pipe connection) at idle in gear. Sounds goes away (or can't be heard) when the motor accelerates. Got the car on the rack and brazed the suspected exhaust connection and tighten any visible bracket connections. While under the car it became apparent that the noise was coming from the transaxle, even in park. Local Chevy dealer says torque tube bearings and $3,000. Has anyone else experienced this and if so did the new torque bearings fix the issue? Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:22 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,001 Likes on 2,166 Posts

Originally Posted by Won-it Vette
I have a 07 Z-51, 6sp auto with 66,000 miles. Recently the car developed a metallic buzzing sound (like a shield was loose, or a loose exhaust pipe connection) at idle in gear. Sounds goes away (or can't be heard) when the motor accelerates. Got the car on the rack and brazed the suspected exhaust connection and tighten any visible bracket connections. While under the car it became apparent that the noise was coming from the transaxle, even in park. Local Chevy dealer says torque tube bearings and $3,000. Has anyone else experienced this and if so did the new torque bearings fix the issue? Any comments would be appreciated.

Sounds like either the bearings or couplers are shot in the torque tube.

The rear cradle, diff, trans and torque tube have to be dropped to change out the bearing and couplers in the torque tube.

Check with an independent shop that works on vets and should be able to get the work down for $1K cheaper.

The bearings are straight forward, but if you are pounding on the car, then upgrade the couplers to poly couplers instead.

From these oems that love to crack and split,

To theses,

Also, with the drive line dropped, would be a good time to swap out to the poly trans mounts as well.
http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/p-135...-corvette.aspx
Old 04-18-2015, 10:57 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Now that's the best answer to this I could have come up with. Try HP motor Sports in Katy. They're kind of new but have the know how to fix you up.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:29 PM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Hello,

Yes, this is a common issue. My car 2006 had the torque tube repaired (under warranty) three times by the time I hit 18,000 miles and 2 years old. I now have 30,000 miles on the car and the noise has not returned.

It's a big job, lots of labor!

Douglas in Green Bay
Old 04-28-2015, 01:36 AM
c6speedjon
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Call rpm transmissions they'll get you all set up with a torque tube rebuild Kit. Everyone on here swears by these polyurethane couplers but I was told by them that they actually do not last as long as the stock rubber ones and that since they have less give it consequently it's stiffer yielding a rougher ride and vibrations still present. I'm running a c5 z06 with an a&a supercharher Kit making 650/545 and I'm going with the OEM rubber couplers and new bearings per their recommendation.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:22 AM
ezrider4u2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default This is what they found when I had my torque tube rebuilt....

Granted my car is a C5 with 75k on the odometer, the last time anything had been done to the tube was in 2002. I had the TT rebuilt a couple of weeks back as part of power upgrades, I figured it should be serviced since I was getting the rear end replaced anyway. I was in shock when they sent the pics over of what remained of my couplers. If you have the opportunity to get this done on your terms, take it. This would be a good idea especially if the car is a few years old. I had planned to do the bearings and couplers from the beginning since I was also upgrading the driveshaft and I'm glad I did.
I bought the bearing kit from RPM as someone else mentioned above but I went to poly couplers front and rear.

The following users liked this post:
18JamesS (05-04-2020)
Old 05-02-2015, 07:40 AM
Won-it Vette
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Torque tube repair

Thanks to all who replied to my post. I will be contacting the recommended shops in Houston, and getting my C6 repaired next week. This forum format is really valuable, shared knowledge is powerful.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:17 AM
SlowBusa08
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

x2 on RPM in Indiana. I called them thinking my shaft was bent, and after talking to them, they assured me it was fine, which it was. They could have easily let me drive several hours to them, and paid to have them needlessly rebuild the TT. I was very impressed with their support, and it was all over the phone.

Get notified of new replies

To Torque tube bearings

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Torque tube bearings