C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 Crate Engine Preservation ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 01:16 PM
77Blue
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default LS3 Crate Engine Preservation ?

Took delivery of a new LS3 crate engine that will go into a C3 that I am resto-modding - chances are it will not be fired off for a year or so - what do I need to do as far as preservation ?
Old 04-21-2015, 02:01 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 77Blue
Took delivery of a new LS3 crate engine that will go into a C3 that I am resto-modding - chances are it will not be fired off for a year or so - what do I need to do as far as preservation ?
I'd put it in something and drive it every once and a while. Take it out when you're ready.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:40 PM
tuboy19
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Lock away your guns and give someone else the key so you don't shoot yourself waiting a year to drive you LS3 C3!
Old 04-21-2015, 08:09 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by tuboy19
Lock away your guns and give someone else the key so you don't shoot yourself waiting a year to drive you LS3 C3!
Old 04-21-2015, 08:15 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

We put Marvel Mystery oil in each spark plug hole and through the throttle body, then turn it over by hand a couple of revolutions.
Make sure it's sealed up and away from moisture.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:29 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Vito.A
We put Marvel Mystery oil in each spark plug hole and through the throttle body, then turn it over by hand a couple of revolutions.
Make sure it's sealed up and away from moisture.
rotate it monthly don't let the rings sit in 1 place, iff the motor came in that plastic hard case fill ladies nylon stocking with a couple pounds of rice put it in the box, close it up. change that out every couple months or more if wet out all the time
Old 04-22-2015, 10:48 PM
Indyzoh6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
rotate it monthly don't let the rings sit in 1 place, iff the motor came in that plastic hard case fill ladies nylon stocking with a couple pounds of rice put it in the box, close it up. change that out every couple months or more if wet out all the time
I've done that and also used a dehumidifier packs made by Remington for gun safes. Also, if it's going to sit for a few years, back off the rockers so the valve springs get a break. If your not wanting to rotate the motor, take out the plugs, spray a fogging oil and loosely put the plugs back in, just don't rotate the engine after since you'll wipe the walls clean.

Get notified of new replies

To LS3 Crate Engine Preservation ?

Quick Reply: LS3 Crate Engine Preservation ?