C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A ? for those of you that coated your headers.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 04:39 PM
360Rocket
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Default A ? for those of you that coated your headers.

I accidentally put a similar thread in the C7 section and thought a MOD may move it.......nope

For those of you that had your headers coated, did you have the cats and x pipe coated as well? Does anyone see a benefit to coating everything back to the catback? Would it help with floorboard/cabin temps?

Stainless just tends to look like a** after some heat cycles and I am definitely going to coat the headers, I just wondered if there is any benefit to coating the entire system besides just appearance?
Old 04-22-2015, 05:17 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I coated everything. Noticed no difference, I guess it looks better. No reduction in tunnel heat, no difference in performance.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:18 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,014 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Headers will radiate a lot more heat to the engine bay and even the starter,

Ceramic coating the headers will bring the heat redaction level's back down to standard OEM exhaust heat levels instead.

As for coating the high flow cats, it does help, since the cats will retain more heat, which keeps the internal honey combs hotter, so they can burn off more unburnt fuel through them (plus with the combs kept hotter, less likely to foul up and clog since the increased heat allows the combs to burn off better self clean).

And yes, huge difference between a true thermo ceramic coating barrier on the headers, and just spraying them with something to just color coat them instead (like BQ paint).

Last edited by Dano523; 04-22-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:05 AM
360Rocket
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dano523

And yes, huge difference between a true thermo ceramic coating barrier on the headers, and just spraying them with something to just color coat them instead (like BQ paint).
Oh I am definately gonna do a Jet Hot ceramic coat product, never a rattle can job. Thanks for your input sir.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:20 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Mine is a high end coating done by a pro shop. I don't know about all these people claiming huge differences. If it did anything, I didn't notice.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:42 PM
0MarylandSpeed
Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

The main advantage of coating is that it cools down faster at the race track, and the car does not become as heat soaked.

We do free coating on Kooks if you pay the website price for headers and X-pipe.

http://marylandspeed.com/taxsale-i-22.html
Old 04-23-2015, 08:16 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The main difference I also noticed is that the headers cool down much faster.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:46 PM
360Rocket
Drifting

Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed
The main advantage of coating is that it cools down faster at the race track, and the car does not become as heat soaked.

We do free coating on Kooks if you pay the website price for headers and X-pipe.

http://marylandspeed.com/taxsale-i-22.html
thats a generous deal.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:00 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

My aluminum/ceramic coated headers put out about the same heat as the stock manifolds with cats.

The only header coating I have seen that actually reduces heat like advertised is Swain Tech, its ugly but works.

http://swaintech.com/race-coatings/r...aust-coatings/

Last edited by blkbrd69; 04-24-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:18 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

You need to talk to the manufacturer of the cats before you coat them. Many times this will lead to early failure of the cat because they will run far to hot with the coating on them.

We do not suggest coating our cats. The rest of the system is fine if you choose to do it, but not the cats if you want the longest life for them.

Now as far as what we have seen, yes it will give you that long lasting luster, or custom color finish if that is what you are after. Performance wise we have seen Zero difference. Tried coated headers on the ALMS car to try and help with cockpit temps, the coating was completely burnt off of the headers at the end of the first day.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:48 PM
360Rocket
Drifting

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
You need to talk to the manufacturer of the cats before you coat them. Many times this will lead to early failure of the cat because they will run far to hot with the coating on them.

We do not suggest coating our cats. The rest of the system is fine if you choose to do it, but not the cats if you want the longest life for them.

Now as far as what we have seen, yes it will give you that long lasting luster, or custom color finish if that is what you are after. Performance wise we have seen Zero difference. Tried coated headers on the ALMS car to try and help with cockpit temps, the coating was completely burnt off of the headers at the end of the first day.
Thanks for the advice Anthony. I actually just picked up a new set of LG Motorsports street series headers so it looks like no ceramic coating on the cats. I was hoping that the ceramic powdercoat would help with cabin temps and maybe protect the starter and plug wires from burning up too.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:05 PM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 360Rocket
Oh I am definately gonna do a Jet Hot ceramic coat product, never a rattle can job. Thanks for your input sir.
I'm having my ARH LT's & Catted X-pipe coated by Swain Tech. It's going to be in what's called the 'White Lightning" ceramic coating. The white finish, I think will look good considering that my car is White & it will be a true ceramic coating barrier instead of the polished stuff. I can't find an exact video of the White Lighting product being applied to anything, but it seems like this video is the same or similar process that Swain Tech is using. (
)

( http://swaintech.com/race-coatings/r...aust-coatings/ )

Last edited by dmoneychris; 04-30-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:23 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

The swaintec white lightning stuff is the only stuff I've seen make a real difference, but damn it cost almost as much as the headers, so I would just use the money for it to do a starter every 5 years.

Get notified of new replies

To A ? for those of you that coated your headers.

Quick Reply: A ? for those of you that coated your headers.