C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help With Multiple Codes/SAH/TC/ETC

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 07:17 PM
LA_Z06
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Please Help With Multiple Codes/SAH/TC/ETC

Car: 08 Z06

I've been trying to chase this problem down for a while but haven't been able to pull the codes. This time I was determined to see exactly what was going on so as soon as I got the error I went to an auto parts store and bought a scanner and checked the codes before turning the car off.

DIC displayed: Service active handling, service traction control, service vehicle soon, low fuel, service fuel system.

As the DIC was displaying this, my coolant temp gauge, oil pressure gauge, and fuel gauge dropped to zero and stopped working. Speedometer, tach, and voltage meter worked fine. NO check engine light on.

Codes

ABS
C0561 History/Current
C0161 History
U2107 History/Current
U2100 History
U2105 History

ECM
P0575 History
P0856 History
U0073 Intermittent

OBDII/EOBD
U0073 Pending
U0073 Pending

After I pulled the codes I drove around for a while (still had not turned the car off) and all the gauges started working again randomly after a few minutes. I turned the car off and on and the check engine light and traction control light were on. DIC now only displayed "service active handling, service traction control" and nothing else where as before it had errors for fuel/fuel system and "service vehicle soon" along with the active handling/TC message. The green engine push start button was also constantly flashing and didn't stay illuminated. Turned car off and on 2 more times and "service active handling, service traction control" message along with check engine light is still on and stays on. The check engine light was NOT on in the beginning, it only came on after I turned the car off and the back on after pulling the codes.

Where do I go from here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:22 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Warning message freakouts like yours are usually caused by a low voltage condition due to a weak battery.

Even if the car turns over readily and starts right up, excessive voltage drop under load will cause these symptoms. You first need to confirm that the battery itself (and the battery connections) are good.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:36 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

I have learned the following, as stated as above, battery first. Then the following "could be" your issue... Wheel sensor, spark plug wire(s)/off, BCM, EBCM (mine), these seem to be the most popular. Double check your plug wires, clean the contacts on the wheel sensors to start. I'm thinking BCM or EBCM due to the ABS errors. There is a member Dano who addresses many threads and he is like an OBDII when it comes to these cars...
Old 04-28-2015, 02:02 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Another thing that has been known to cause multiple crazy codes like this is one of the big blue connectors in the fuse box under the passenger footwell carpet being loose. It's a simple and quick thing to check, reseat and maybe spray a bit of contact cleaner on them.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:49 AM
LA_Z06
Advanced

Originally Posted by torquetube
Warning message freakouts like yours are usually caused by a low voltage condition due to a weak battery.

Even if the car turns over readily and starts right up, excessive voltage drop under load will cause these symptoms. You first need to confirm that the battery itself (and the battery connections) are good.
Originally Posted by psp6158
I have learned the following, as stated as above, battery first. Then the following "could be" your issue... Wheel sensor, spark plug wire(s)/off, BCM, EBCM (mine), these seem to be the most popular. Double check your plug wires, clean the contacts on the wheel sensors to start. I'm thinking BCM or EBCM due to the ABS errors. There is a member Dano who addresses many threads and he is like an OBDII when it comes to these cars...
I had the battery checked out 2 months ago and it was supposedly good. I had it checked out again today at Autozone and while they said it was OK, it was only at 70% which is odd because I had been driving around all day the day before and the car hadn't sat for too long before that. So it's still technically good but not up to full charge which means it probably is a voltage issue caused by the battery as you guys mentioned. I'm going to either buy an AC Delco or Duralast battery.

Originally Posted by cclive
Another thing that has been known to cause multiple crazy codes like this is one of the big blue connectors in the fuse box under the passenger footwell carpet being loose. It's a simple and quick thing to check, reseat and maybe spray a bit of contact cleaner on them.
Checked this to make sure all was nice and tight.

Thanks for the responses guys!
Old 04-30-2015, 09:07 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Let us know please of fix...
Old 06-24-2015, 02:39 AM
LA_Z06
Advanced

Ended up being the battery. It was dying out anyways (wasn't holding charge) so I replaced it with a Duralast from Autozone. It was fine for a while but now I'm getting some of the codes from before.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:55 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Maybe this is obvious but then, to expand on what a few of the posters said above, something is either discharging the battery (drain) or the charging system isn't doing its job. At about eight years old, it could be the latter, but in newer models it's typically the former.

Do you still have the original battery nut? https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-inquiry.html

Last edited by AORoads; 06-24-2015 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:37 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

You could also have grounding issues. My previous '08 needed some of them removed (and the paint scraped off) to make a better connection, it will sometimes help with intermittent problems.

There are several in the cockpit area, sorry, I don't have the locations, but a search out here on the forum should find you a diagram.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:10 AM
LA_Z06
Advanced

Originally Posted by AORoads
Maybe this is obvious but then, to expand on what a few of the posters said above, something is either discharging the battery (drain) or the charging system isn't doing its job. At about eight years old, it could be the latter, but in newer models it's typically the former.

Do you still have the original battery nut? https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-inquiry.html
Still have the original battery nut.

Originally Posted by Seadawg
You could also have grounding issues. My previous '08 needed some of them removed (and the paint scraped off) to make a better connection, it will sometimes help with intermittent problems.

There are several in the cockpit area, sorry, I don't have the locations, but a search out here on the forum should find you a diagram.
I'll check some of the grounds.

I should have clarified, not all of the issues came back. After I changed the battery 6 weeks ago, I didn't have any issues until this past week. The issues I was having before the battery change were all the codes in the original post along with the gauges completely dying and "Service active handling, service traction control, service vehicle soon, low fuel, service fuel system" all coming up on the DIC.

Now all I'm getting are the following ABS related codes:

C0561 History/Current
C0161 History
U2107 History/Current
U2100 History

And that's it. Just a few codes along with "service active handling, service traction control." It seems to me that either the brake pedal position sensor is messed up or something leading to the EBCM or BCM or the modules themselves are messed up.

The car did sit for 2 weeks prior to me starting it up and driving it this past week which is when these problems came back. It was hot so the AC was on the entire time although I noticed the voltage meter was right around 13 volts when it's usually at 14 + (due to the AC). Even then though I figure the alternator would be strong enough to fully charge the car even if it's been sitting for 2 weeks and the AC is on if I drive it for a good 45 minutes. I drove 3, 45 minute sessions on the same day and the problem came back each time. Maybe I just needed to drive it longer with the AC off to get the battery to full charge?

Get notified of new replies

To Please Help With Multiple Codes/SAH/TC/ETC

Quick Reply: Please Help With Multiple Codes/SAH/TC/ETC