C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Hatch Struts - strange issue

Old 04-28-2015, 11:21 AM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Rear Hatch Struts - strange issue

So last Friday night, go to put my golf bags in the car for Sat morning t-time in my 2012 GS. Hatch works perfectly. Sat morning drive to the golf course, open the hatch and it falls closed on me. Had to hold it open (hatch is heavier than it looks...), and pull my stuff out. Same to put it all back in when I was through.

Anyone ever had two struts fail simultaneously, overnight? Pretty weird. Have two replacements ordered, should be in this week.

Anyone ever replaced these? I would think it should be simple.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:49 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Only one has to fail. The other one isn't strong enough to hold the hatch up on its own. That rear glass is seriously heavy. I've never replaced mine but if they go on the same as the hood struts it's simple.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:55 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 154 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
Only one has to fail. The other one isn't strong enough to hold the hatch up on its own. That rear glass is seriously heavy. I've never replaced mine but if they go on the same as the hood struts it's simple.
When they go, they go. I literally drove home from the dealer, and it worked there, and one cylinder failed and the hatch was heavy when I got home.

Save the good one, when you replace the pair, and it will save you buying one next time
Old 04-30-2015, 02:38 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

You guys were right, turned out only one was bad. It apparently takes both to make it not slam down.

I am keeping the good one for a spare. Easy job, took all of 5 minutes, and most of that was finding something to hold the hatch up while I popped off the struts. Turns out a broken Driver shaft is perfect.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Hatch Struts - strange issue

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Hatch Struts - strange issue