C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing a front wheel stud questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 03:36 PM
GCRoberts
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Replacing a front wheel stud questions

Not sure how it happened, but I stripped the threads out on one of my wheel studs (front tire). I went to a local GM dealer and bought a new stud and lug nut. I was going to have my local tire dealer replace it when they replaced my front tires. However, the tech there claimed it was a 2 1/2 hr job. I've replaced my semi-metallic pads with ceramic pads on my Vette, so I'm familiar with removing the calipers. I would think that with the caliper off it would be as simple as pulling off the rotor, giving a few whacks on the old stud to remove it, and put the new one in. Am I missing something? If it's that simple, I can do it myself this weekend. Are there any pitfalls to this repair if you don't know exactly what you're doing? Please advise.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:05 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

You should be able to do it but you'll need a stud draw tool of some kind to get the new on in correctly. Here's a DIY that seems pretty good to get you through it:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...djustment.html
Old 04-28-2015, 04:24 PM
GCRoberts
Racer

Thanks.....I somehow missed that link when I did a search.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:23 AM
GCRoberts
Racer

Originally Posted by RicK T
You should be able to do it but you'll need a stud draw tool of some kind to get the new on in correctly.
Actually I found a cheaper solution. Picked up a 4 pack of open end lug nuts (M12x1.5) from PepBoys and a few washers from Home Depot. Only cost me about $5 total and it worked perfectly. In hindsight, I could have bought a few more washers for some more thickness, but it worked fine with just two washers.

I was able to complete the whole repair in 1/2 hr.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:53 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by GCRoberts
Actually I found a cheaper solution. Picked up a 4 pack of open end lug nuts (M12x1.5) from PepBoys and a few washers from Home Depot. Only cost me about $5 total and it worked perfectly. In hindsight, I could have bought a few more washers for some more thickness, but it worked fine with just two washers.

I was able to complete the whole repair in 1/2 hr.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing a front wheel stud questions

Quick Reply: Replacing a front wheel stud questions