C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 transmission woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 10:09 AM
daveholl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 transmission woes

I went against your words of wisdom and had the transmission flushed by dealer 6K miles ago. Since then 2 codes popped up, P0974 and P1618. Codes cleared, good for awhile, then returned.....hesitation in forward gears also. (previous posts) Shift solenoids and an internal switch were replaced. Car is 2005 base coupe 66K miles.
Work is being done by trusted local shop. Today, he found fibrous debris in pan. No codes. His experience tells him that this will continue unless the source of the contamination is found, which means a rebuild. $2500-$3000. I told him to go ahead because I like the car and want to be able to drive it without the fear of being stranded somewhere.

I don't know much about the technical workings of a tranny so I have to rely on his and your expertise. He plans to upgrade some things in the process. He has rebuilt this model in the past successfully.
FWIW, I don't want or need a race car transmission, just a reliable one. I did call Chuck CoW and was tempted and impressed by his knowledge. He suggested a rebuild also. Anybody else "been there, done that"?
I'd appreciate any constructive advice, encouragement you could give me as this saga unfolds.
Thanks.
Dave
Old 04-30-2015, 12:21 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Call me again.....

Originally Posted by daveholl
I went against your words of wisdom and had the transmission flushed by dealer 6K miles ago. Since then 2 codes popped up, P0974 and P1618. Codes cleared, good for awhile, then returned.....hesitation in forward gears also. (previous posts) Shift solenoids and an internal switch were replaced. Car is 2005 base coupe 66K miles.
Work is being done by trusted local shop. Today, he found fibrous debris in pan. No codes. His experience tells him that this will continue unless the source of the contamination is found, which means a rebuild. $2500-$3000. I told him to go ahead because I like the car and want to be able to drive it without the fear of being stranded somewhere.

I don't know much about the technical workings of a tranny so I have to rely on his and your expertise. He plans to upgrade some things in the process. He has rebuilt this model in the past successfully.
FWIW, I don't want or need a race car transmission, just a reliable one. I did call Chuck CoW and was tempted and impressed by his knowledge. He suggested a rebuild also. Anybody else "been there, done that"?
I'd appreciate any constructive advice, encouragement you could give me as this saga unfolds.
Thanks.
Dave

Hey Dave. Call me again. We rebuild TONS of those here in house and I have it all memorized.

BEFORE you touch it give me a ring.

Chuck CoW
Old 04-30-2015, 12:45 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Hey Dave. Call me again. We rebuild TONS of those here in house and I have it all memorized.

BEFORE you touch it give me a ring.

Chuck CoW
Just curious, do you know what % of those rebuilds you guys do were needed after and due to a trans flush? I had mine flushed over a year and 3K miles ago and have had no problems - so far.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:16 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Altho there is a lot of conventional wisdom on both sides of flushing a trans/not flushing, occasionally I read/hear about it AFTER a flush. Of course, that doesn't mean the trans wasn't getting ready to give out anyway and that in X miles. flushed, drained, or neither one, it would have gone out.

But of the indie techs that I talk to who have been factory trained by various car mfrs. and been in the biz for awhile, I haven't met many that recommend flush. And several have said what I've read on CF in the past: drain, fill, wait a short number of miles and drain and fill again.

The other thing I've heard is to go on a shortened-interval basis for drain and fills if the mileage is way up there (say, over 100K miles). Many suggest/recommend 30K miles as that interval. This is just opinion indie techs, but not necessarily mine, altho I do follow it on some of my cars.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:57 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Encouragement - I think you're doing the exact right thing.....as much as it may hurt financially right now. Get it torn down, cleaned out and put back together fresh.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:10 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Get notified of new replies

To A4 transmission woes

Quick Reply: A4 transmission woes