C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harbor Freight Tools bad for Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 08:06 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by GS057
Never again will I use Harbor Freight tools on my C6.
Take a look at Precision Instruments. They are the OEM for most of Snap-On's torque wrenches. If you look at the dial types (my personal preference), they are identical except for the printing on the dial. Made in USA by people who get to participate in the election of their leaders (is that too much to ask?).

They cost more than Harbor Freight, but 1) these are measuring tools we're talking about and 2) they'll outlast your grandchildren. Actual street prices are lower than the MSRP figures on their website.

http://www.torqwrench.com/home.php
Old 05-11-2015, 11:03 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by theblue
I'm willing to bet you had it set for 44 ft/lbs.
Not possible to set the HF 1/4 in drive torque wrench that high, the upper limit is 200 in/lb.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:55 AM
slayer6x6
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess I'm a bit spoiled in this dept.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:49 PM
PatientZero
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just set my 1/4 horrible fate torque wrench to 44 in lbs and tried it. The click is very perceptible (unlike at much lower torque where it could be missed). I think maybe yours really was defective or wildly out of tolerance.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:11 PM
One Kick
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Where can I send my torque wrenches to get them calibrated, I have 5 from different manufacturers, one is a Craftsman which I don't trust any more.
Thanks
Old 05-13-2015, 05:48 PM
90zcrex
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jsucraig
Edit to Add: I have never seen a Craftsman or Matco Torque Wrench pass a Calibration Certification. I have seen Proto, SK, Mac, Snap-On, KD, and now Harbor Freight Torque (Pittsburgh PRO) wrenches pass.
Thats funny because we have a shop full of snap on and matco torque wrenches and the only ones that fail every year are the new guys that bring in harbor freight ones. I think with anything else it's quality control issues, harbor freights quality control is crap but there are some tools that come out working great forever, which is usually opposite for the big brands but it's kinda the luck of the draw.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:14 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by One Kick
Where can I send my torque wrenches to get them calibrated, I have 5 from different manufacturers, one is a Craftsman which I don't trust any more.
Thanks

You can buy a digital TQ adapter that goes between the TQ wrench and the socket to check the TQ and get a value to check your TQ

In my sales business, I sell TQ devices that cost $12,000 to $25k and are accurate to a specific TQ & Angle, extremely accurate servo TQ, and then you have Current Based TQ which is still accurate to 2%-3%

With that said,, I use my elbow and the TQ wrench

Old 05-15-2015, 01:41 PM
Peter_Reinhard
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So, bottom line with Harbor F is it is hit or miss. I hate even going in there because of the overwelming smell of their cheap rubber tires outgassing. It must be very toxic to work there.

But your article opens my eyes to admit they must have some good tools too. But really, using them on aircraft, knowing they are the cheapest tool on earth?? Note, I'm an engineer for a military contractor and all of our tools must be calibrated too so I'm impressed the cheap stuff actually passed calibration multiple times.

I bought one of their battery tenders for $4 or so, and decided not to use it because I didn't want to burn down my barn over the winter. It just didn't look quality enough to leave unattended with my C6. I bought a quality tender feel much better about using it unattended.

And torque is something you need to "feel" too. If it feels like this is way too much cranking for what you expect, stop.

Good to know not all HF is crap. But I'll still use it for temporary jobs that don't justify the cost of a heavy duty tool that will last your lifetime.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:25 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Peter_Reinhard
So, bottom line with Harbor F is it is hit or miss. I hate even going in there because of the overwelming smell of their cheap rubber tires outgassing. It must be very toxic to work there.

But your article opens my eyes to admit they must have some good tools too. But really, using them on aircraft, knowing they are the cheapest tool on earth?? Note, I'm an engineer for a military contractor and all of our tools must be calibrated too so I'm impressed the cheap stuff actually passed calibration multiple times.

I bought one of their battery tenders for $4 or so, and decided not to use it because I didn't want to burn down my barn over the winter. It just didn't look quality enough to leave unattended with my C6. I bought a quality tender feel much better about using it unattended.

And torque is something you need to "feel" too. If it feels like this is way too much cranking for what you expect, stop.

Good to know not all HF is crap. But I'll still use it for temporary jobs that don't justify the cost of a heavy duty tool that will last your lifetime.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that hates the smell! It gives me a headache
Old 05-15-2015, 04:31 PM
Peter_Reinhard
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup. They use the finest Chinese rubber than they can find..... probably filled with lead and mercury to boot.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:36 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Peter_Reinhard

The lifetime part is where you drawn the line. I had a fair amount of reasonably good tools I acquired mostly during my 20's. Nearly all were still in good condition, however the majority were stolen during a residential burglary about age 60. Insurance replaced some and wrote a check for the rest. Because the newer cars required metric sizes, I bought what I needed as I needed. Since my lifetime was getting short, I sure didn't care about long lasting high quality. I'm quite sure when I'm dead, that there will be tools in the box that were never used. Everything I own now (age 73) is only for temporary use.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:28 AM
Legal Alien
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread reaffirms my belief that some people are 'impressed by high prices.'

HF build quality is poor but so is GMs, it seems a match made in heaven..........

I use that very tool for one job and one job alone, spark plugs-it does it perfectly. Although, I have the feel/knowledge to tell the difference between in and lb ft which is a good start.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:27 PM
dead2me
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/additio...rench-testing/
Old 05-17-2015, 02:17 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I wouldn't expect a HF torque wrench to be very good (but others in this thread seem to think otherwise). I broke a Craftsman last week during its second use. Still looking for a good one that doesn't cost $300.

OTOH, I love my new HF cordless impact wrench. Yes, it's Chinese and Ni-Cad, but for under $100 (with coupon) it takes off 100 lb-ft lugs like butter. I have a wrist and shoulder injury, plus a torn pect muscle, so I can't be cracking a ton of torque (literally, 5 X 100 X 4 = 2000) by hand. I can have a wheel off in 15 seconds with this baby.

And I'd certainly buy regular wrenches at HF under the Pitt Pro branding. I think part of the fun of HF is proving the haters wrong.

And yeah, that rubber smell. I bought some HF wheel chocks and I had to leave them outside of the garage. Definitely wouldn't want to work in the plant that makes those!
Old 05-17-2015, 08:08 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
I wouldn't expect a HF torque wrench to be very good (but others in this thread seem to think otherwise). I broke a Craftsman last week during its second use. Still looking for a good one that doesn't cost $300.

OTOH, I love my new HF cordless impact wrench. Yes, it's Chinese and Ni-Cad, but for under $100 (with coupon) it takes off 100 lb-ft lugs like butter. I have a wrist and shoulder injury, plus a torn pect muscle, so I can't be cracking a ton of torque (literally, 5 X 100 X 4 = 2000) by hand. I can have a wheel off in 15 seconds with this baby.

And I'd certainly buy regular wrenches at HF under the Pitt Pro branding. I think part of the fun of HF is proving the haters wrong.

And yeah, that rubber smell. I bought some HF wheel chocks and I had to leave them outside of the garage. Definitely wouldn't want to work in the plant that makes those!
The HF "pro" ratchets are actually pretty nice.. especially for the money. I have the 1/4 and 1/2" ones and have been pretty rough on them, no problems. The 3/8" I already had snap on and gear wrench ones so didn't bother with that one
Old 05-21-2015, 01:03 PM
Buddy A
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

I have 3 different size Craftsman and just tested (calibrated) them on a bench vise. 2 of the 3 were off. I thought Craftsman were decent tools. Guess I will have to start doing some research on replacements
Old 05-23-2015, 11:50 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

44 in-lb is a really small value and equivalent to 3.6 ft-lb. That's a really small amount of force. At that value, I don't know how those bolts could have snapped so you must have missed the click and just wrenched on it.

On low torque values, always use a spare socket extension in a vise and test it with the wrench set to know when the click will occur. Just pop the torque wrench onto the extension, turn and you'll know just how much force you need to apply.

It's deceiving. Our wheels are supposed to be torqued to 100 ft-lbs which seems like a huge value but I've tightened them by hand only to find them way over torqued. So even high torque values should be checked.

Check first and you'll never snap another bolt again. Especially at low torque values.

Quick Reply: Harbor Freight Tools bad for Corvettes