C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harbor Freight Tools bad for Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 05:11 PM
GS057
Safety Car

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Default Harbor Freight Tools bad for Corvettes

Never again will I use Harbor Freight tools on my C6. The only place localy I could find a 1/4 inch pounds torque wrench was there. Now I know why they are only $29. The damn defective tool broke 2 of my intake manifold bolts off in my head. It was only set at 44 inch pounds for the first round. I feel stupid because it was not relized till the second one snaped. Had to remove the intake and fish out the broken bolts. I feel perty lucky that the came out.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:16 PM
JohnStuttle
Do Not Quench The Spirit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I think harbor Freight is great for "non technical" tools but for something like a torque wrench I would definitely go higher end
Old 05-08-2015, 06:31 PM
MYZ061080
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnStuttle
I think harbor Freight is great for "non technical" tools but for something like a torque wrench I would definitely go higher end
Old 05-09-2015, 12:34 AM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

My Harbor Freight (Pittsburgh PRO) Torque Wrenches only cost me $9.99. I am an Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic, my torque wrenches must have their calibration certified every 12 calendar months to a standard of 2% Accuracy. The Harbor Freight (Pittsburgh PRO) is only guaranteed at 4%. They have been through Calibration Checks twice from two different Tool Testing Facilities. In both cases they were received in in a 'PASS' Condition, <=2% accuracy, and left the facility in a 'PASS' condition. I have the 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive Torque Wrenches.

I actually used all three today in maintenance tasks. I used the 1/4" and 3/8" Torque Wrenches to install a Stabilator Actuator in a Lear 45. The 1/4" was used at the 109in/lb setting and the 3/8" was used at the 21ft/lb setting. I used the 1/2" Torque Wrench to install the Main Wheel Axle Nut on a Citation Excel (560XL) used at the 50ft/lb and 30ft/lb settings.

I regularly use the 1/4" Torque Wrench for Torque checking the Cell Lugs on NiCad Batteries. 20 cells with 2 lugs each + Pos and Neg terminal lugs to equal 42 'Clicks' per battery cycle, three cycles per battery, and approximately one battery a month.
42X3= 126 Torques per Battery Capacity Check.
126X12=1512 Torques per year. Two years in a row it has been received in in a 'PASS' Condition.

Are you sure you had it set for 44in/lbs and not 144in/lbs?

Edit to Add: I have never seen a Craftsman or Matco Torque Wrench pass a Calibration Certification. I have seen Proto, SK, Mac, Snap-On, KD, and now Harbor Freight Torque (Pittsburgh PRO) wrenches pass.

The Harbor Freight (Pittsburgh PRO) Torque Wrenches look almost exactly like the Proto Torque Wrenches we used when I was in the Army form 1996-2002 as A Black Hawk Helicopter Crew Chief.

Last edited by jsucraig; 05-09-2015 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:38 AM
Jtaugner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, Harbor Freight should only be used for one-time use things. Nothing that requires precision or quality.

I would never let a Harbor Freight Torque Wrench touch an aircraft. Granted you aren't using a ton of in/lb or ft/lb's but still. I don't care if PMEL or Calibration Cell passes it.

It's a shame they don't have a torque wrench that goes to 450 ft/lb's. Would love to use it on our main wheel assembly to see how fast that thing destroys itself.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:45 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,949 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Now THERE is controversy over Pittsburgh PRO....I'm just hoping my Craftsman I use for wheels is "on." It wasn't much money but it wasn't $30 either. I know: cost does not equal quality, nor name either.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:12 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

so you were tightening something in inch pounds and you twisted the bolts of, how tight did you think inch pounds where? hows that the tools fault?
Old 05-09-2015, 09:48 AM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 437 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
so you were tightening something in inch pounds and you twisted the bolts of, how tight did you think inch pounds where? hows that the tools fault?
Maybe you did not hear/feel the clicks. There is a lot of difference between 44 in lbs and what it would take to snap those bolts. Glad you got it repaired
Old 05-09-2015, 05:13 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 87SAM
Maybe you did not hear/feel the clicks. There is a lot of difference between 44 in lbs and what it would take to snap those bolts. Glad you got it repaired
Theoretically, it takes 153 lb in to stretch the bolt to the breaking point. Just for grins, I tested that number. I first set my 1/4 drive wrench to the 44 lb in setting and it clicked easily. Then I bumped it up to 90 and again to 120 and still no problem. To save my socket from stress, I switched to the 3/8 drive wrench and set it to 10 lb ft (same as 120 lb in) and it still clicked. Finally at 15 lb ft the bolt snapped at the top thread, which is usually the weak spot.

General practice is that torque settings are about 80% of the normal rate when bolting into aluminum. The bolt is rated for 117 lb in dry and GM spec is only 89 with locktite, which initially is considered a lubricant. The 8mm socket should be the first clue for a low torque setting. 89 lb in is so easy that you can do it with your hand choked all the way up to the socket.

The OP should probably be happy the bolt snapped instead of stripping threads in the head.

The lesson here is to check measuring tools for accuracy before using them.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:22 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

I have a Harbor Freight inch-pound torque wrench similar or identical to yours (item #2696) that I use for non-critical things like battery cable nuts, TPMS nuts, etc. It is difficult to feel it click, much more so than other click-type torque wrenches. Before use I actually clamp a bolt in my vise and use the wrench on it a few times to refresh my memory of what the click feels like.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:23 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I have the same torque wrench and used it many times with success over 7+ years. On the very low end settings like you had, the "click"/breakover is VERY faint. It's very possible you just didnt notice it
Old 05-09-2015, 10:30 PM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jtaugner
I agree, Harbor Freight should only be used for one-time use things. Nothing that requires precision or quality.

I would never let a Harbor Freight Torque Wrench touch an aircraft. Granted you aren't using a ton of in/lb or ft/lb's but still. I don't care if PMEL or Calibration Cell passes it.

It's a shame they don't have a torque wrench that goes to 450 ft/lb's. Would love to use it on our main wheel assembly to see how fast that thing destroys itself.
If your worry is not whether the tool is within the calibration limits of an aviation standard then why would you not use the tool? If it breaks I use another torque wrench and go buy a new one, send it out for calibration certification, and start all over again. If your care is whether or not it is going to 'fail accuracy' at some point the answer is that all mechanical equipment may fail at some point in its life. Passing two annual re-certifications says a lot to me.

Case in point I bought a $150 Snap-On 0-200PSI combination inflater/pressure tester. The tool came from Snap-On with certification, but that is not good enough for our FAA Administrators. I send the calibrated tool to our vendor and it passes certification. The day that it comes in I use it to inflate a tire to 162PSI after install. I notice that something isn't right, the pressure test side keeps reading 150PSI three times in a row between burst of Nitrogen, so I stop and put another tire pressure gauge on it. The gauge reads 180PSI. I send out the gauge to the vendor. It is received in in a 'FAILED' Condition. The vendor calls up our Chief Inspector to inform him that the tool is "Out of Calibration" and that all work accomplished with it should be re-inspected. The Chief Inspector tells them: Not a problem all ready done. The vendor continues to inform him that the tool is so far out of calibration that it is B.E.R, Beyond Economical Repair.

We contact the Snap-On dealer that sold the tool to me. He says not a problem I will bring you another one so you can send it out for certification. Same story we send it out, it passes, we put into service. This time I cautiously use the tool to check tire pressure and service a Nose Tire. This time to 125PSI. Same deal like a recording: we send this tool out, It is received in in "FAILED' Condition, re-inspect work, not a problem all ready done, B.E.R, contact Snap-On dealer.

Snap-On dealer says hey I'm really sorry to hear that, by the way we sent the first tool out and it failed Snap-On's test too at the standard 4% accuracy. I will give you another one. Okay, third times a charm right. No exact same thing happens again. Snap-On dealer says sorry that our tool has let you down we will make it up and gives me $300 credit on the truck.

Point is, Snap-On is supposed to be the Creme de la Creme in Professional Tools yet their tools still fail. I have thousands of dollars worth of Snap-On tools in my Snap-On tool box at work.

Professionally I will not buy Mac or Matco tools. I will buy some Craftsman Tools, all SK, KD, Channel Lock, Vice Grip, Deutch, Sioux, Dotco, Chicago Pneumatic, US Air tool, Central Pneumatic (Harbor Freight Air Tools), Makita, Milwaukee, DeWalt, and ACAT.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:34 PM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lrobe22
I have the same torque wrench and used it many times with success over 7+ years. On the very low end settings like you had, the "click"/breakover is VERY faint. It's very possible you just didnt notice it
This is a very true statement, but is not limited to Pittsburgh Pro torque wrenches. At the lower settings on most 'Click Type' torque wrenches the breakaway can be hard to feel. It is also possible with any torque wrench to exceed the torque set. All you have to do is keep turning past the 'click' and breakaway indication.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:40 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,195 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by jsucraig
This is a very true statement, but is not limited to Pittsburgh Pro torque wrenches. At the lower settings on most 'Click Type' torque wrenches the breakaway can be hard to feel. It is also possible with any torque wrench to exceed the torque set. All you have to do is keep turning past the 'click' and breakaway indication.
Agree!! I recommend trying it a time or two on a very low setting on a larger bolt to get a feel for it. It is more like the wrench "gives" a little bit. There isn't a click like you get at high torques

I've had fairly good luck with their tools actually. Only have a few things though. Their new "pro" ratchets are actually pretty decent. Also have the blind hole puller and beat the crap out of it getting a pilot bearing out and it did great. Have the 2.5 gallon compressor, and while it's loud/slow, it works and has done fine for about 2 years now
Old 05-10-2015, 08:37 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,594 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by JohnStuttle
There tools aren't really used by Tech's
Old 05-10-2015, 12:52 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 1bdvet
There tools aren't really used by Tech's
You'd probably be right for a goodly part of the established automotive group, since most had purchased their tools before HF existed and the younger guys tried to emulate the older ones at work, even though their home tools weren't the same brand or quality.

However, you may be surprised about what tools are used in the millions of other small businesses that also do technical/mechanical work. Craftsman tools (Sears) were only average, but were purchased primarily on the basis of a lifetime warranty from a major retailer. Now HF is the major retailer and the customer still has to decide what tool needs to be bought there and what one from a different source for the job at hand.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:41 PM
C6David
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

The click is very soft on that small of a torque spec and is easy to miss sometimes. I personally only use harbor freight torque wrenches for lugnuts. Everything else i use my craftsman.

Get notified of new replies

To Harbor Freight Tools bad for Corvettes

Old 05-10-2015, 01:42 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

If you scan the reviews, that particular Harbor Freight 1/4" torque wrench is very difficult to hear the "click". It actually is more of a release than a click. You may have powered right past the click.

You also want to avoid Craftsman torque wrenches because of poor quality and lack of warranty. At least Harbor Freight will warranty their torque wrenches.

With some research, I found a very good 1/4" torque wrench on Amazon for $38.98.

TEKTON 24320 1/4-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench, 20-200-Inch/Pound - - Amazon.com TEKTON 24320 1/4-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench, 20-200-Inch/Pound - - Amazon.com
Old 05-10-2015, 03:22 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,949 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Vito A., do you recommend the same brand, Tekton, for larger applications such as wheel torque?
Old 05-10-2015, 10:12 PM
theblue
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been using the same harbor freight torque wrench on my race cars and street cars for 5+ years now with out issue.

I'm willing to bet you had it set for 44 ft/lbs.

Quick Reply: Harbor Freight Tools bad for Corvettes