C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 Transmission question???

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 02:22 PM
C6Vette710
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Default C6 Z06 Transmission question???

I recently purchased an 08 z with just 3,800 miles on it. Sold my 06 z51 manual. Never any issues. With the z06 when shifting first to second at low speeds of course, it seems to be a bit clunky. First second clunk it does not feel right to me. I haven't driven the car too much, but already twice with the clutch to the floor the stick has actually jammed between first and second and still holding clutch to the floor I had to actually shove it in neutral. All the other gears seem fine and I like to shift to second at around 20mph like my 06. If I shift around 10-15 it seems okay. Any I ideas what this could be?? I have a warranty on it and have not brought it to the dealers attention yet. I have never had this issue with my 06 of owning it for 9 years. It also had one of those clutch pedal add ons for short people. Maybe the clutch wasn't engaged all the way from the previous owner. Any thoughts?
Old 05-15-2015, 07:04 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

If the 08 still has the T56, I think that is normal. I had one in my C5Z and C6Z and first to second felt like a truck. Very bad when cold.

Lots of guys went to better oils like Red Line D4, and said it helped.

Might try a search here as there was a lot posted..

Good Luck, 2k
Old 05-15-2015, 08:22 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

08 should be a 6060 trans.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:39 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

If this is happening when the car is cold then it probably isn't a problem. It should not be doing this when fully warm though. By "warm" though, I don't mean 3 miles to the market...I mean 25 miles of driving.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:11 PM
C6Vette710
Racer

Originally Posted by cclive
If this is happening when the car is cold then it probably isn't a problem. It should not be doing this when fully warm though. By "warm" though, I don't mean 3 miles to the market...I mean 25 miles of driving.
It definitely feels much better when warm. But its pretty bad when cold its actually makes me mad because I try to be so careful and thats what I get shifting to second. My 06 non z06 felt better with 50k miles.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:19 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Since you are new to the Z06 world, open your hood and check your clutch fluid, Im guessing yours will be dark if not black... You will need to do a clutch fluid change, ranger method. I would go there first. As others have said, they sound a little rough when cold, some recommend the new fluid GM has for it, seems to quiet them down. Good luck
Old 05-17-2015, 10:23 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by psp6158
Since you are new to the Z06 world, open your hood and check your clutch fluid, Im guessing yours will be dark if not black... You will need to do a clutch fluid change, ranger method. I would go there first. As others have said, they sound a little rough when cold, some recommend the new fluid GM has for it, seems to quiet them down. Good luck
The above. OP, did you ever change your clutch fluid in your prior car? I'm assuming you did. Also, I presume you know about the CAGS and that at low speeds it does have a second gear lockout, right? Finally, add in trans fluid warmup period, somewhat clunky (my words/opinion) synchros and gear, and if all three are present (old clutch fluid, cold trans fluid, not warmed up), then this can happen. Tell us more.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:37 PM
C6Vette710
Racer

Originally Posted by psp6158
My clutch and brake fluid are fairly black, but I've been told that would not be the cause. Im planning to have both changed tomorrow so I guess well see. I will also change the transmission fluid to see if that changes anything. The dealer I got it from said all fluids were changed, but seeing the state of the clutch and brake fluid thats clearly not the case. Not surprised if the tranny fluid is original. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:41 PM
C6Vette710
Racer

Originally Posted by AORoads
The above. OP, did you ever change your clutch fluid in your prior car? I'm assuming you did. Also, I presume you know about the CAGS and that at low speeds it does have a second gear lockout, right? Finally, add in trans fluid warmup period, somewhat clunky (my words/opinion) synchros and gear, and if all three are present (old clutch fluid, cold trans fluid, not warmed up), then this can happen. Tell us more.
Yes I have changed it in my previous car. Do you mean when the car wants you to shift from first to fourth? No it wouldn't be that issue.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:42 AM
G8Pumpkin
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I had the same problem as you with the clutch, sore knee after driving it a while. Have just installed a dual disc clutch and the reduced peddle effort is enough I dont get the sore knee any more.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:50 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

Try to change the trans fluid. Even though it has only 3800mi, it can still break down. I use Pennzoil Synchromesh. It's cheap and it got rid of the 1-2 crunch when cold.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 Transmission question???

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 Transmission question???