C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock installation tips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 10:07 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 355 Posts

Default Shock installation tips?

I just received my Bilstein HD shocks for my '08 vert and I'm wondering if there are any tips to installing them. I've done numerous installations over the years, but these c6's are a little different.
At a quick glance, it looks like the front wheels need to come off. Probably the rears too.
Any other tips to make it easier?
It also appears that the new shocks have a bump stop? on the shafts also. Is this where the wheel bump stops are? Most older cars have the stops on the frame.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:54 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Nothing special. I took the front upper control bolts were it attaches to the frame to make it easier to remove the old ones.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:42 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Unless you are also in need of an alignment. No need to take off F/R control arm bolts.

Do remove wheels, you will thank yourself for that. Extra jack to raise control arm to help align shock mount bolts will be helpful as well.

I used zip tie method, loads of DIY's if you care to read when you use search function.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:54 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by victorf
Unless you are also in need of an alignment. No need to take off F/R control arm bolts.

Do remove wheels, you will thank yourself for that. Extra jack to raise control arm to help align shock mount bolts will be helpful as well.

I used zip tie method, loads of DIY's if you care to read when you use search function.
I never mastered the zip tie compression for the fronts.....
Old 05-21-2015, 01:18 PM
Peter_Reinhard
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For some of the guys here, this was "easy". I found it much harder but now that I've done it, I'd certainly do it again, and much faster too. If you don't do much mechanic work, it might be better to outsource. Definitely get the tool to hold the top shock bolt.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ns-needed.html
Old 05-21-2015, 01:40 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 736 Likes on 475 Posts

Work one corner at a time, remove the wheel and shock mount bolts. Compress old shock and remove. Install the new shock using zip ties to keep the shock compressed, until you need to expand the shock. Use the shock nut removal/installation tool to make life easier.

I installed the Bilstein Sports on my 08 Z51 and I was very happy with the results. My oem shocks with 40k+ miles felt sloppy. GM should of used Bilsteins for the C6 as they do for the C7.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 05-21-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:19 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 355 Posts

What about the rubber bumpers that come on the shaft in the package?
Is this a universal part or are they needed for our cars?
Looks like they will limit the shock travel by about 1".
Old 05-21-2015, 05:43 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Sayfoo
What about the rubber bumpers that come on the shaft in the package?
Is this a universal part or are they needed for our cars?
Looks like they will limit the shock travel by about 1".
They compress when pushed on by the weight of the car.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:34 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

The little spring clip is a pain in the a__. I had mine off 3 times before I got the clip right. Make sure you use the flat washer that has the recess for the clip. I re-used my OEM parts. I also bought new shock bushings, they fit the car better than any of the garbage bilstein supplies. I bought the bilstein HD shocks for my 08 Z51, can you tell I'm not happy with them?
Old 05-22-2015, 01:22 PM
victorf
Drifting

Originally Posted by ls1121
The little spring clip is a pain in the a__. I had mine off 3 times before I got the clip right. Make sure you use the flat washer that has the recess for the clip. I re-used my OEM parts. I also bought new shock bushings, they fit the car better than any of the garbage bilstein supplies. I bought the bilstein HD shocks for my 08 Z51, can you tell I'm not happy with them?
Installed Bilstein Sports first time, removed/reinstalled follow change out with delrin spherical bushings shown here:

Removed/Replaced Sports with DRM revalved Sports, then, short while later, removed/reinstalled after I improved the worn out original soft poly tension preload spacer with a machined delrin preload spacer - shown in above picture, directly under the top inverted steel washer retainer.

That was a total of 5 times removal/reinstall and I never had to touch the original factory installed, combination purpose, bump stop/shock protective boot/bushing pivot separation "C" spring clip.

I followed your original posted dilemma and I've found that unusual. Glad that had work out and remembered Randy sent you some extra "C" clips.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:23 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by victorf
Installed Bilstein Sports first time, removed/reinstalled follow change out with delrin spherical bushings shown here:

Removed/Replaced Sports with DRM revalved Sports, then, short while later, removed/reinstalled after I improved the worn out original soft poly tension preload spacer with a machined delrin preload spacer - shown in above picture, directly under the top inverted steel washer retainer.

That was a total of 5 times removal/reinstall and I never had to touch the original factory installed, combination purpose, bump stop/shock protective boot/bushing pivot separation "C" spring clip.

I followed your original posted dilemma and I've found that unusual. Glad that had work out and remembered Randy sent you some extra "C" clips.
yes Randy saved my a__. What was the cost on the delrin set up? I'm thinking Koni next time I replace the shocks, I've had my fill of bilstein.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:46 PM
victorf
Drifting

Originally Posted by ls1121
yes Randy saved my a__. What was the cost on the delrin set up? I'm thinking Koni next time I replace the shocks, I've had my fill of bilstein.
Deja vu - you asked me the same question before!

Price was shocking to some people. Cost more than my original Sports. But company made that is, belly'ed up - Pfadt!

Get notified of new replies

To Shock installation tips?

Quick Reply: Shock installation tips?