C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New brake grinding

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 01:23 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by greek81
I just completed a full brake install on my 07 z51(stoptech rotors, hawk brake pads). The install went smooth except my front left (driver side) brake is grinding. I ripped it apart several times to re check my install and still getting the same issue. It grinds loudly during driving and braking. When I have the tire off and spin the rotor it seems like the pads aren't moving away from the rotor.
They're not supposed to move away from the rotor.

If you can spin the wheel by hand with the brakes released, they aren't dragging. You mention that it "grinds loudly" during braking, so the problem isn't a stuck brake.

Without hearing the noise it's hard to say, but I wouldn't be surprised if it just went away after a few miles of break-in.

Originally Posted by greek81
i was thinking of removing the backing from the pads to give it a little more clearance. thoughts?
The pistons will just extend farther to take up the clearance, like they're supposed to. Without the backing, the brakes will be more likely to squeal.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:48 PM
PDsVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
You mention that it "grinds loudly" during braking, so the problem isn't a stuck brake.
He states it grinds during driving and braking, not just braking. He also stated with lugnuts holding the rotor on, it spun freely without problems. But if he put the wheel on and spun it, it made the grinding sound. Using logic, the mounted wheel could be causing the problem.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:22 AM
greek81
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So far the conclusion is the I've got a stuck piston or 2. After tearing it down again, everything was spinning freely until I depressed the brakes for the first time and then the grinding was back. It looks like the piston or pistons aren't releasing fully to allow the rotor to push the pads slightly off.. could it just be gunked up? I didn't really clean clean it. Just sprayed it down. Is it possible if by pulling and pushing the piston in and out to free it up or once this happens it's pretty much have to be rebuilt?
Old 05-26-2015, 11:21 AM
PDsVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

I'd rebuild it and be done with it. There are some Youtube videos on how to do it if you haven't ever done it before. Just be careful when you blow the pistons out. I used a 2x4 for the first blow then a 1x4 for the final blow out. I just did this on all four calipers. I had a hard time getting the rubber dust boots installed. Was easier after I figured out how to get the boots to fit into the caliper.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:44 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I really don't see how you get grinding from a piston stuck though. Seems like it would make the normal braking "sliding" noise, but it's hard to describe sounds over the internet so maybe that's what you mean.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:16 PM
Super Steve
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a corvette 98 and found great deals on: www.crossdrilledrotors.ca
Old 05-26-2015, 03:34 PM
greek81
Pro

Originally Posted by schpenxel
I really don't see how you get grinding from a piston stuck though. Seems like it would make the normal braking "sliding" noise, but it's hard to describe sounds over the internet so maybe that's what you mean.
When I'm spinning by hand, yes your correct it's just the sound of the pads slightly touching the rotor but under power it intensifies and it sounds like grinding
Old 05-26-2015, 05:59 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I can't tell you if it is the pistons, or if they're sticking. All I can say is back in the bad old days of virtually no-tech, the C2s used to either have to be rebuilt or stainless sleeves put in to remedy the stuck/sticking piston syndrome which was relatively common. So many reasons for it happening---not least of which is contaminants in the fluid, or some form of fluid breakdown resulting in water in the fluid doing its thing with standard pistons/cylinders.

You may not have that here due to what I'd call new-tech but a grinding sound when applying brakes does sound like the bad old days, OR something moving in the entire braking/suspension componentry to contact some other piece. If there are no visible shiny parts you can see from rubbing, you're kind of stale-mated into doing a process of elimination, repair/replacement, or living with it. And when brakes are making noise, that's not something I would want to live with.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:18 PM
greek81
Pro

Conclusion: turns out there was a hair line slice in the rubber "boot" of one of the guide pins that was causing the caliper to hang up and not fully release off the rotor.. All that for work for a little $10 part

Thanks for all the suggestions and help guys.. much appreciated
Old 06-01-2015, 05:58 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Thanks for the update. Glad it's fixed!
Old 06-02-2015, 12:04 PM
greek81
Pro