C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Failure 2009/C6 at 16k miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 07:02 PM
Jaa6921
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Engine Failure 2009/C6 at 16k miles

Hi,

I'd welcome comments about this situation.

I recently took my 2009 C6 into the local Chevvy dealer for service. I have 16k miles on it and its been regularly maintained.

I took it in for a routine service and oil change etc

When I went to collect it, I paid and they brought it out and there was a significant loud knock on the idling engine that was not there before.

I called the service "director" and asked for his explanation. It was decided that I would not take it home, and that the dealership would investigate it.

The next day when I called I was told the knock had progressed and that the engine needed to come out. I've learnt that there is a main bearing worn and a whole pile of other bearings washed out lifters not returning to the top and that all main and rod bearings need replacing. Quite a disaster considering the miles. They also said the engine was carboned up.

Fortunately I have warranty that covers it but I am wondering if I am getting the entire story and what could have caused this extent of failure. Did they run the car without oil maybe??

Is this a frequent problem with this engine?? (LS3/6.2L) Should I have it repaired and move it on? or will it be reliable and more important when the warranty is over, are there going to be any more horrible surprises. Is this car jinxed now?

Love my 'vette. Its fun to drive and one of the safest cars when it comes to stability, speed and therefore safety.

Thnks for your input/opinions.

JA
Old 05-21-2015, 07:20 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaa6921
Hi,

I recently took my 2009 C6 into the local Chevvy dealer for service. I have 16k miles on it and its been regularly maintained.

When I went to collect it, I paid and they brought it out and there was a significant loud knock on the idling engine that was not there before.

I called the service "director" and asked for his explanation. It was decided that I would not take it home, and that the dealership would investigate it.

The next day when I called I was told the knock had progressed and that the engine needed to come out. I've learnt that there is a main bearing worn and a whole pile of other bearings washed out lifters not returning to the top and that all main and rod bearings need replacing. Quite a disaster considering the miles. They also said the engine was carboned up.

Fortunately I have warranty that covers it but I am wondering if I am getting the entire story and what could have caused this extent of failure. Did they run the car without oil maybe??

Is this a frequent problem with this engine?? (LS3/6.2L) Should I have it repaired and move it on? or will it be reliable and more important when the warranty is over, are there going to be any more horrible surprises. Is this car jinxed now?

Love my 'vette. Its fun to drive and one of the safest cars when it comes to stability, speed and therefore safety.

JA
sounds like a bad oil change by the tech, you will never know what happened, but I would want a replacement motor dont rebuild that one, maybe he didnt put the oil in or forgot the plug loose oil filter or just beat it, maybe tried cleaning the carbon and the solvent leaked past the rings and contaminated the oil, after you get a new motor i would make sure that tech never touches it again
Old 05-21-2015, 07:25 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

The LS3 is a pretty solid engine. If it was good going in, they probably messed up..
Old 05-21-2015, 07:40 PM
Jaa6921
Instructor

Yes. I felt the same. The dealerships unusual willingness and enthusiasm to help suggests that they did something wrong.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:18 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 453 Likes on 353 Posts

Did you check the mileage before and after?
Old 05-21-2015, 08:20 PM
Jaa6921
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sayfoo
Did you check the mileage before and after?
Yep. Had a sticker done. A couple of miles extra.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:32 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

These dealer caused problems pop up so often, it's a wonder they can stay in business. All to often the problems are caused by the lowly oil change guy. It seems everyone has a story about service errors and I have a couple about dealers doing warranty work.

Sorry that this happened to you. It's not typical with the car itself, but it's with the people who you trust to service it.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:46 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Second.. on demand a new engine.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:10 PM
Suds
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Dealership f-cked your motor!

I am reluctant to get my recalls done by a dealership, I don't want kids playing in my car.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:13 PM
Jaa6921
Instructor

Ok so how do I prove anything?? Do GM police anything??
Old 05-21-2015, 09:54 PM
Neville Australia
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few years back went to my dealer and they had a very new GM car that the motor was wrecked because the apprentice over filled it with oil. They told me because another dealer did the service a few days earlier in another city. That person drove it 250 miles to my location. So it may not be no oil could be too much oil. The dealers tend in my area use a lot of apprentices as tradesman are hard to obtain and keep.
I think I would push for a new engine than have it repaired. You never quite know what else could be weakened.
Hope you have a happy ending.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:50 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaa6921
Hi,

JA
Hey Jaa,

We are so sorry to hear that you are currently experiencing this engine concern, and we certainly want your dealership visits to be as seamless and enjoyable as possible. Please send us a PM if this is something that you would like us to research further. Have a great night and we hope to hear from you soon.

All the best,

Brandon M.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-22-2015, 12:41 AM
GeminiZ06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hey Jaa,

We are so sorry to hear that you are currently experiencing this engine concern, and we certainly want your dealership visits to be as seamless and enjoyable as possible. Please send us a PM if this is something that you would like us to research further. Have a great night and we hope to hear from you soon.

All the best,

Brandon M.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Not for nothing - but you are asking a question for which the answer is more than obvious. You may want to rethink how to approach an owner of your flagship product that just had this experience and determine how you would like to be approached in such a situation.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:44 AM
GeminiZ06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GeminiZ06
Not for nothing - but you are asking a question for which the answer is more than obvious. You may want to rethink how to approach an owner of your flagship product that just had this experience and determine how you would like to be approached in such a situation.
This is the primary reason I would never fork over more than $70K on a GM product - plain and simple

The product may be worth it but the dealership support which is the face of the manufacturer is absolutely low class
Old 05-22-2015, 04:30 AM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hey Jaa,

All the best,

Brandon M.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Dealer ship visits never again gm does the lowest and destroyed customers car....you really think someone would drive a car like that knocking there but get it back knocking... I would sue the hell out of them period. Yes im pisssed beyond belief yes im on my 3 set of heads for my z06 but the problem only affects 1% of the z06....

Please if u can get a new motor...I would not settle for less period..
Old 05-22-2015, 08:31 AM
fevest
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happened to a friend on mine on his mazda. Tech didn't put oil in it, but never admitted it. Engine crapped out on the way home. He did get a new crate motor from mazda. I would never trust them to rebuild as they couldn't even change the oil correctly.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:49 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Demand a new GM-built engine. Clearly it's their fault. In law, we use a Latin term to describe this: "res ipsa loquitur". Translated to modern English: "the thing speaks for itself".
By analogy, if you took a healthy family member to a doctor for a routine checkup and they returned home with an injury that could only be attributed directly to that routine checkup, then the burden of proof would be on the doctor to prove he didn't do anything wrong.
The same principle applies here. Threaten to sue them and report them to GM if they don't give you a new engine. Good luck and I hope that they sort you out.
And, most importantly, do your oil changes yourself in the future. That way you know it's done properly and with the right oil and filter. Anyone who can drive a car can do an oil change on one of these Vettes.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Failure 2009/C6 at 16k miles

Old 05-22-2015, 08:51 AM
Jaa6921
Instructor

Thanks. Reassuring words there.

Jaa
Old 05-22-2015, 12:35 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by GeminiZ06
The messages always seem to have the tone of "My sincere condolences upon the death of your ------ and I'd let someone else know you're not happy if you call me".
Old 05-22-2015, 04:23 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I think the posts above are quite accurate: something happened AT the dealership to ruin the engine. While you want a new engine, the chances are not good for that happening. And even if it did, this would not be the place to have it installed, imo. That leaves you with little comfort. I'd ask for the area warranty rep to come and visit with you at the dealership so you can have everyone who counts in the same place at the same time. And then, air your concerns and wants, and see what happens.

Come back and tell us what finally occurs.

Quick Reply: Engine Failure 2009/C6 at 16k miles