C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

13 GS Oil Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 07:22 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Default 13 GS Oil Capacity

My 13 GS is a "Wet Sump".

Got an oil change from dealer that stated 6 Quarts. When I checked the dipstick, it was overfilled quite a bit. Yes, the filter was changed as well.

I have heard that these no longer have an engine oil cooler thus not needing the full 6 quarts for a fill.

Your input appreciated.. 2k
Old 05-21-2015, 07:28 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Look in the owners manual.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:20 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by timd38
Look in the owners manual.
It says 6 Qts. Too much money to reprint it.

Nice engine compartment BTW Tim...
Old 05-22-2015, 07:16 AM
pocketrocket
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra
It says 6 Qts. Too much money to reprint it.

Nice engine compartment BTW Tim...
Identical 13 GS wet sump. 6 quarts and its above the fill line. That is normal every time I've changed the oil.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:54 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by pocketrocket
Identical 13 GS wet sump. 6 quarts and its above the fill line. That is normal every time I've changed the oil.
Same here. I don't think it will hurt anything, but I did notice that after an oil fill, my catch can catches a lot of oil for the first few hundred miles, then tapers off as the oil gets down to around the full level on the stick. This is most likely due to increased windage from the oil level being higher. Next time I change the oil, I'm probably going to put a pint less or so in it and see where that puts the level on the dipstick.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:07 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

They probably didn't give it time to fully drain.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:38 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

My 06 owners manual says that if you track the car to run a quart over, so a little high should not be an issue, since they are basically the same engine.

I have a stroked LS3 in it now, and run it over fill with no issues.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:34 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

There was a thread about this a year or two ago. Research showed that there was wrong info that was distributed by GM to several sources, including dealers, and the corrections were not globally updated.

The error didn't cause damage, so there was no serious push to get it corrected.

The correct amount of oil is 5 1/2 quarts for the standard LS2 & LS3 engine. IF, and I stress the IF, the car is equipped with an external oil cooler, THEN, and ONLY THEN, the correct amount is 6 quarts.

The notation about adding 1 extra quart when the car is being used at a track event, is to prevent temporary loss of pressure lubrication during high engine speeds when combined with extended lateral G-forces. The notation also mentions that the extra oil be removed after the event. Most owners understand the concept and those who don't, occasionally replace engines.

It seems that dealers and many commercial/independent shops would rather use the 6 quart figure to be safe (and maybe sell more product), because the expectation on the part of the guy who does the job to identify an external oil cooler is between low and non-existent.

Most people who do their own oil change, know the difference. Most people who have someone else do that service, don't know or care. If you care and know the correct amount of to be used, then be very specific with whoever is doing the job.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:13 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
There was a thread about this a year or two ago. Research showed that there was wrong info that was distributed by GM to several sources, including dealers, and the corrections were not globally updated.

The error didn't cause damage, so there was no serious push to get it corrected.

The correct amount of oil is 5 1/2 quarts for the standard LS2 & LS3 engine. IF, and I stress the IF, the car is equipped with an external oil cooler, THEN, and ONLY THEN, the correct amount is 6 quarts.

The notation about adding 1 extra quart when the car is being used at a track event, is to prevent temporary loss of pressure lubrication during high engine speeds when combined with extended lateral G-forces. The notation also mentions that the extra oil be removed after the event. Most owners understand the concept and those who don't, occasionally replace engines.

It seems that dealers and many commercial/independent shops would rather use the 6 quart figure to be safe (and maybe sell more product), because the expectation on the part of the guy who does the job to identify an external oil cooler is between low and non-existent.

Most people who do their own oil change, know the difference. Most people who have someone else do that service, don't know or care. If you care and know the correct amount of to be used, then be very specific with whoever is doing the job.
Good info!
Old 05-22-2015, 07:33 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys for the info!

I did a change myself and added slightly less than 6 Qts. and it showed full.

I'm beginning to think they didn't replace the filter. Oil on dipstick was ~1" above the full line. They also used the wrong oil. (Blend) I asked for M1 full synthetic.

Talked to the service manager and they made it right.

Pretty sad. I also had dealer problems when I had my C6Z with a dry sump. Abel seemed like the only one to work on my Z.

I guess I will be going to Abel again just for an oil change..
Old 05-22-2015, 07:41 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra
Thanks guys for the info!

I did a change myself and added slightly less than 6 Qts. and it showed full.

I'm beginning to think they didn't replace the filter. Oil on dipstick was ~1" above the full line. They also used the wrong oil. (Blend) I asked for M1 full synthetic.

Talked to the service manager and they made it right.

Pretty sad. I also had dealer problems when I had my C6Z with a dry sump. Abel seemed like the only one to work on my Z.

I guess I will be going to Abel again just for an oil change..
You hear these stories and then the car manufactures wonder why people don't want to use the dealer when the car runs out of warranty.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:36 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Correct procedure is to run engine until 170* oil temp, shut engine off, wait 5-15 minutes, then check oil level.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:11 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by 3X2
Correct procedure is to run engine until 170* oil temp, shut engine off, wait 5-15 minutes, then check oil level.
Bingo! The correct amount of oil is the amount that raises the level to the right place on the dipstick. Buy six quarts and save any that may be left over. No service place will charge for a portion of a quart, so six is what should be seen on a service invoice.

Get notified of new replies

To 13 GS Oil Capacity

Quick Reply: 13 GS Oil Capacity