C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MRC Status/Diagnosis?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 10:37 PM
Admiral Ballsy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MRC Status/Diagnosis?

Is there any method, short of requiring a Tech II (or whatever it's called these days), that can divine whether MRC is actually functional?

I have a 427 convertible; I've never been able to notice any difference in the two settings. Although I am pretty 'sensitive' - I can feel, say, a 5psi difference in tire pressure - I just put this down to a situation beyond my capabilities.

Then I got a CTS-V. It's like night and day, the difference between sport and tour. So I figured, maybe something's wrong with the Corvette.

There's nothing obvious. I'm getting voltage changes at the shock connectors when the mode is switched. I get codes when I unplug a shock. So I have to assume the electronics are functional.

There is absolutely no perceptible difference in behavior. Nothing I am able to do with the car matters (and I autocross it). Not brake dive, not rapid lateral oscillations...nothing. So I've concluded that one of two things must be true:
  1. Something is physically wrong with the shocks themselves - which seems unlikely, since all four would have to be 'bad';
  2. This particular model is purposefully calibrated in this manner (maybe since it's a droptop). It does ride 'softer' than I expected, softer even than the BRZ I had for a while.
The fact that there are plenty of other threads asking "how can I tell its working" is telling. As is the fact that many owners claim that the two settings are quite noticeably different - that speaks to multiple configurations, in my mind.

Is there any diagnostic process that can help with this?
Old 05-21-2015, 11:13 PM
kedar
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

You should feel a perceptible difference between the settings if you saw the steering wheel left and right while driving (safely). You don't need high speed to feel the difference. Sport is more responsive. Tour will be much less responsive.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:41 AM
Admiral Ballsy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kedar
You should feel a perceptible difference between the settings if you saw the steering wheel left and right while driving (safely). You don't need high speed to feel the difference. Sport is more responsive. Tour will be much less responsive.
Yes, I know. And I don't.

Hence, this thread.

Get notified of new replies

To MRC Status/Diagnosis?

Quick Reply: MRC Status/Diagnosis?