C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help Diagnose Clicking Sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 11:13 PM
94boosted
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please Help Diagnose Clicking Sound

Hello,

Recently I've noticed a clicking sound during the following situations:

- Low speed turns (parking lot speeds)
- Low speed bumps (parking lot speeds)

It does not go up proportionally to speed so I doubt it's a wheel bearing, it also doesn't make the sound every time. I'm thinking:

- Sway bar end link (though I'm used to this being more of a clunk sound)
or
- Outer tie rod end (looks like the rubber boot is a bit damaged, but why would it do it over bumps?)

I did recently change the sway bar endlinks to Whiteline Adjustable ones, also changed out the spring and sway bar but that was hundreds of miles ago and I'm only hearing the clicking sound recently. I did pop the wheels off and made sure the sway bar endlinks were tight. For what it's worth it's a 2010 Corvette GS with 15K Miles.

Thank you
Old 05-22-2015, 05:51 PM
94boosted
Racer

Bump.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-25-2015, 02:24 PM
94boosted
Racer

Bump.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:17 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

low speed is the key, does it go click,click,click and then stop almost like a pop rivet gun but real fast? if so vacume booster, early in the morning my o6 does it at the stop light. sounds like it's coming from behind the dash?
Old 05-26-2015, 01:28 PM
94boosted
Racer

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
low speed is the key, does it go click,click,click and then stop almost like a pop rivet gun but real fast? if so vacume booster, early in the morning my o6 does it at the stop light. sounds like it's coming from behind the dash?
No it's nothing like that, it only happens over bumps and during turns and I should elaborate on the low speed, I've heard it up o about 30-40MPH as well.

It's more of a light click or clunk but not fast.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:12 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

the axle nuts have been known to loosen up.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:26 AM
94boosted
Racer

Originally Posted by truckplay
I'm 99% sure it's coming from the front
Old 05-27-2015, 10:49 AM
KOZ
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Sway bar links? Mine made some funky sounds, looked tight but were not
Old 05-27-2015, 12:28 PM
94boosted
Racer

Originally Posted by KOZ
Sway bar links? Mine made some funky sounds, looked tight but were not
That was my first thought so I did make sure they were tight.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:35 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by 94boosted
That was my first thought so I did make sure they were tight.
I yanked on my sway bar end links and they felt tight. I tried tighten them and they felt good. Wrong! I had them replaced under warranty years ago and not a peep.

Interesting enough you mentioned having new end links and sway bars installed a while ago? Check shock mounts, sway bar mounts, etc.

My end link noise sounded link more of a popping noise over parking lot speed bumps and coming off a driveway at an angle. Hum?

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 05-27-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:06 PM
94boosted
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
I yanked on my sway bar end links and they felt tight. I tried tighten them and they felt good. Wrong! I had them replaced under warranty years ago and not a peep.

Interesting enough you mentioned having new end links and sway bars installed a while ago? Check shock mounts, sway bar mounts, etc.

My end link noise sounded link more of a popping noise over parking lot speed bumps and coming off a driveway at an angle. Hum?
I didn't check the lower shock mount bolts I guess I should of, sway bar mounts I know for sure I torqued to spec and used blue loc-tite just to be safe.

If the source of my click/clunk is in fact the new swaybar endlinks I'm ok with that I just want to make sure it's nothing serious like a ball joint, tie rod end, wheel bearing etc.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:01 PM
Anthony s
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Hello,

It does not go up proportionally to speed so I doubt it's a wheel bearing, it also doesn't make the sound every time. I'm thinking:

or
- Outer tie rod end (looks like the rubber boot is a bit damaged, but why would it do it over bumps?)

I did recently change the sway bar endlinks to Whiteline Adjustable ones, also changed out the spring and sway bar but that was hundreds of miles ago and I'm only hearing the clicking sound recently. I did pop the wheels off and made sure the sway bar endlinks were tight. For what it's worth it's a 2010 Corvette GS with 15K Miles.

Thank you
My 2008 rear axle made a clicking noise during slow tight turns. Dealer changed the grease.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:45 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by truckplay
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!! Did mine a few months ago and my slow clicking noise went away.
Simple job and everyone should at the very least check theirs.
New axle nuts, a 33mm socket, red Loctite, torqued to 160lbs as TSB stated, although there is controversy about the torque values, look it up, but that's what the TSB I read stated, some say 140lbs
NSF
Old 05-30-2015, 10:56 AM
2ndVette
Drifting

Hello,

or

Thank you
I would vote to simply change the fluid in your rear end and make sure and use non friction fluid as your fix. This has been written up many times as the fix.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:54 AM
IndyMikeC6
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndVette
I would vote to simply change the fluid in your rear end and make sure and use non friction fluid as your fix. This has been written up many times as the fix.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:28 AM
94boosted
Racer

Originally Posted by 2ndVette
I did change both the manual transmission and differential fluid about 8K miles ago.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:20 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Check the steering rack bolts. I got the same clicking noise on my GS. Only made the sound on uneven pavement while turning. I don't think the guys that did the cam swap torqued those two big bolts properly. My Vette had less than 5K on the clock when this started. It didn't start immediately after the cam swap either. Drove me crazy before I just started putting a wrench on anything I could reach on the front end and found one really loose and the other not tightened to spec.

Get notified of new replies

To Please Help Diagnose Clicking Sound

Old 06-01-2015, 01:14 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!! Did mine a few months ago and my slow clicking noise went away.
Simple job and everyone should at the very least check theirs.
New axle nuts, a 33mm socket, red Loctite, torqued to 160lbs as TSB stated, although there is controversy about the torque values, look it up, but that's what the TSB I read stated, some say 140lbs
NSF
If you would do a search on this you will find that what I have posted worked on multiple Corvettes, MULTIPLE!!!
There are TSB's on this subject also.
But do as you wish
NSF
Old 06-01-2015, 01:26 PM
94boosted
Racer

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Check the steering rack bolts. I got the same clicking noise on my GS. Only made the sound on uneven pavement while turning. I don't think the guys that did the cam swap torqued those two big bolts properly. My Vette had less than 5K on the clock when this started. It didn't start immediately after the cam swap either. Drove me crazy before I just started putting a wrench on anything I could reach on the front end and found one really loose and the other not tightened to spec.
Thanks for the suggestion. You mean the main bolts that hold the steering rack to the subframe? I don't see why mine would of came loose as I never removed them before.

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
If you would do a search on this you will find that what I have posted worked on multiple Corvettes, MULTIPLE!!!
There are TSB's on this subject also.
But do as you wish
NSF
I just recently changed the wheel studs in the rear so I had to pull the hubs off and axle nut, I re-torqued per the TSB and used red loc-tite, I don't think that's my problem.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:00 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion. You mean the main bolts that hold the steering rack to the subframe? I don't see why mine would of came loose as I never removed them before.
Yes, there are two bolts and they're maybe 24mm or so (wrench size). These were tight enough not to make the clicking noise for 5 or 6 months after the cam was installed. Maybe they need locktite? I didn't locktite them when I tightened them up. They've been good for maybe 8 months. Pretty easy to check. Hope yours is that simple.

Quick Reply: Please Help Diagnose Clicking Sound