C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed the brand new M/T Street R's...first drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 12:48 PM
racerxrick
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Installed the brand new M/T Street R's...first drive

Just received, mounted and installed arguably one of the first pairs of this all new tire from Mickey Thompson. I wish I could have a report from the track but it seems North Texas is having a monsoon season this year. More rain already than all of last year!

315/35/17's on 17x11 Weld RTS, just touching and squeezing the "tread" and these things are soft and sticky.

GS MN6 with A&A kit, McLeod RXT clutch, 675/580

First drive: well it stopped raining long enough for the roads to barely dry, very humid. Went out with no prep, never even spun the tires and tried a 3k RPM launch on a concrete surface. It hooked!! Rolled the throttle just a little and then on the floor, spun a little at the top of the RPM's at full boost. Tried it a couple more times with consistent results. Turned back for home just as the rain returned.

Really looking forward to the real test at the strip!
Attached Images     
Old 05-23-2015, 01:08 PM
Silver Bullet C6
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

Good deal on getting the DRs for your car. In my experience with DR tires, a large contact patch that is totally smooth made the car hydroplane easier when I hit a small amount of standing water. For example, I have the silver car in my avatar which runs MT ET Street II in the rear - the tread design has adequate grooves for water, and not much of a problem for wet roads if I am careful. I also have a H/C/I Z06 with Nitto NT05R tires in the rear. The NT05R has a large contact area thru the middle and I have felt it hydroplane in wet weather when driving at 35-40 MPH.
In short, enjoy the new traction, but be careful in rain/ wet conditions.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:16 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks for posting your findings. I am considering those tires next as they are just a little smaller than the M&H I use now. The only thing that worries me is they have to be terrible in any rain at all with no lateral treads to get rid of the water. Always a trade off....LOL..
Old 05-23-2015, 02:01 PM
racerxrick
Racer

Agreed, rain/wet ability will be NON EXISTENT!

I once spun a V8 Vega backwards on a wet road with bias ply slicks...and was only going about 25mph!
Old 05-23-2015, 02:09 PM
Jtaugner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought about getting these over my regular ET Streets for street duty. Kinda like the ET Street's larger sidewall. Fills the fender a little better then the R's.

Do you have any experience with other DR's to compare them to?
Old 05-23-2015, 02:13 PM
racerxrick
Racer

Originally Posted by Jtaugner
Thought about getting these over my regular ET Streets for street duty. Kinda like the ET Street's larger sidewall. Fills the fender a little better then the R's.

Do you have any experience with other DR's to compare them to?
yeah a larger sidewall would look better and potentially hook better, however the shorter 26" tire will give me a better gear advantage.

I also have a set of 345/30/19's Nitto NT05r's that see typical city street duty. They are great around town tire that handles the power pretty well all things considered.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:34 PM
racerxrick
Racer

REGARDING INSTALLED HEIGHT:

Despite being called a 26" tire the installed height is just short of 25.5". I feel like they'll still be fine as gearing will be excellent.

Although i sure am curious what actual height is on the 305/40/17 which is supposed to be a 27.5" tire,
Old 02-03-2016, 03:56 PM
Qikwhitec6
Advanced

Originally Posted by racerxrick
Just received, mounted and installed arguably one of the first pairs of this all new tire from Mickey Thompson. I wish I could have a report from the track but it seems North Texas is having a monsoon season this year. More rain already than all of last year!

315/35/17's on 17x11 Weld RTS, just touching and squeezing the "tread" and these things are soft and sticky.

GS MN6 with A&A kit, McLeod RXT clutch, 675/580

First drive: well it stopped raining long enough for the roads to barely dry, very humid. Went out with no prep, never even spun the tires and tried a 3k RPM launch on a concrete surface. It hooked!! Rolled the throttle just a little and then on the floor, spun a little at the top of the RPM's at full boost. Tried it a couple more times with consistent results. Turned back for home just as the rain returned.

Really looking forward to the real test at the strip!
How did u like the street r tires In the street did they hook up in 2nd 50 roll or 60?
Old 02-03-2016, 05:26 PM
racerxrick
Racer

Originally Posted by Qikwhitec6
How did u like the street r tires In the street did they hook up in 2nd 50 roll or 60?
They hook well on the street and Mexico when roll racing. I now have a set of MT Street SS for the stock wheels and they are super soft...great for rolls cause the car looks bone stock.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:09 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Racerxrick your car looks GREAT.

I hope they still make the old 315/35/17 drag radials, with the "second generation" tread... that tread is actually pretty darn good in the rain and those tires last a good long time.

Do you know, did your tires replace them? I sure hope not as your tires would NOT work for me, I drive 70 miles to the track and it often rains...
Old 02-03-2016, 11:48 PM
racerxrick
Racer

Thanks Joe. I have no idea on the old styles though I know they have been fazing out some of the old line up. And yeah the Street R's and Street SS would suck in the rain. I got caught in a freak rainstorm in the R's and had to limp home at 30mph on side streets. Not as bad as slicks but bad none the less!

Looking forward to my first runs on MT's 275 Radial pro this spring! (on one of my other cars of course). They should be violent at the track.

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Racerxrick your car looks GREAT.

I hope they still make the old 315/35/17 drag radials, with the "second generation" tread... that tread is actually pretty darn good in the rain and those tires last a good long time.

Do you know, did your tires replace them? I sure hope not as your tires would NOT work for me, I drive 70 miles to the track and it often rains...
Old 02-04-2016, 01:41 PM
Qikwhitec6
Advanced

Originally Posted by racerxrick
They hook well on the street and Mexico when roll racing. I now have a set of MT Street SS for the stock wheels and they are super soft...great for rolls cause the car looks bone stock.
Awesome man I just got my set in today can't wait to get sum Mexico visit in soon lol ..got the pass port ready lol

Old 03-03-2019, 01:29 AM
simman22
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Since it’s been a few years, how did you guys like the tires overall and did you buy another set? How many miles did you get out of them? I picked up a set and hoping for at least a couple thousand miles out of them.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:28 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

As long as you aren’t doing a lot of burnouts, you should get decent life. Had a set of Nitto 555r’s on a Z28 that lasted me 4 summers and 15 k miles. Have a set of NT05r’s going on the Corvette this spring.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:26 PM
racerxrick
Racer

Originally Posted by simman22
Since it’s been a few years, how did you guys like the tires overall and did you buy another set? How many miles did you get out of them? I picked up a set and hoping for at least a couple thousand miles out of them.
Still like the Street R and actually moved to a 305/45/17 version (28" tall). They fill the wheel well a lot better and I've turned the car up a little more so I've been able to pull the additional height.

Hard for me to give mileage for these since I swap between three sets of rims and tires.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:30 PM
racerxrick
Racer

Personally I wouldn't recommend the NTo5R's....they just don't stack up against the MT Street S/S. I use the Street SS as my "intermediate" or sleeper tire on a set of stock rims and they hook like mad at my power level. The Nto5r's were just "ok"

Originally Posted by farmington
As long as you aren’t doing a lot of burnouts, you should get decent life. Had a set of Nitto 555r’s on a Z28 that lasted me 4 summers and 15 k miles. Have a set of NT05r’s going on the Corvette this spring.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:52 PM
simman22
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the info, I have personally ran the Nt05r and they seemed like they needed to be really hot to get grippy and didn’t grip much better than the regular 555’s

Get notified of new replies

To Installed the brand new M/T Street R's...first drive

Quick Reply: Installed the brand new M/T Street R's...first drive