C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parasitic draw - how to test interior fuse block

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 05:17 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Parasitic draw - how to test interior fuse block

I seem to have a problem with my car in that, after a year and a half, I seem to be getting some parasitic draw that drains the battery. Today when I went to go out, it was down to 11.7 and will not start the car so I hooked up the Battery Tender and guess I'll go out tomorrow.

I started checking the engine fuse block for culprits and found fuses 7 (Battery Main 5) and 11 (Engine Control Module/Transmission
Control Module/Easy Key Module) seemed to have some residual draw but the car did not seem to drain after checking those. I don't recall what the values were.

The problem I had was checking the interior fuse block and I can't do the parasitic testing with the door open as that keeps the circuits energized and the only way I can reach it is if I'm lying on my side on the floor hanging through the open door.

So where is the switch on the door or frame that I can tape down so I can test with the car believing the door is closed? I can't get to it otherwise.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 05-24-2015, 11:19 AM
black.z51.c6
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

I am interested in this as well... Standing by
Old 05-24-2015, 09:39 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

Open the doors and walk away, after 15 minutes come back and the car will be in "sleep" mode. Just don't open/close doors again or you will have to start over.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:21 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 87SAM
Open the doors and walk away, after 15 minutes come back and the car will be in "sleep" mode. Just don't open/close doors again or you will have to start over.
I was going to try that but didn't think it would work! If it does, I guess I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Parasitic draw - how to test interior fuse block

Quick Reply: Parasitic draw - how to test interior fuse block