C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low oil level - Do I need to worry?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 06:55 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Default Low oil level - Do I need to worry?

Just checked the oil level on my GS dry sump and it looks like I was driving around with about half a liter low, anything to worry about? Not a lot of miles during this time.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:04 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

If you check it the same every time, about 5 minutes after shutting down engine hot, you will get consistent readings. !/2 Liter low isn't a problem. That should be the middle hole on the dipstick. I would top it off some time using the above procedure..

Was it at the full mark when it was filled?

Our wet sump GS uses no oil in 5K miles.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:16 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra
If you check it the same every time, about 5 minutes after shutting down engine hot, you will get consistent readings. !/2 Liter low isn't a problem. That should be the middle hole on the dipstick. I would top it off some time using the above procedure..

Was it at the full mark when it was filled?

Our wet sump GS uses no oil in 5K miles.
When I checked it was below the cross hairs, I added half a liter and it went just above the first hole. The manual states anywhere in the cross hairs is good but I was below when I checked.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:26 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Devil
When I checked it was below the cross hairs, I added half a liter and it went just above the first hole. The manual states anywhere in the cross hairs is good but I was below when I checked.
You need to worry more about climate change and where Jimmy Hoffa is buried. Half a litre is a little more than a pint. That's a pretty small percentage of what your dry sump system holds.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:18 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by old motorhead
You need to worry more about climate change and where Jimmy Hoffa is buried. Half a litre is a little more than a pint. That's a pretty small percentage of what your dry sump system holds.
this IS corvette forum where we get ulcers over the torque of a valve cover bolt and 10.000 post's on which torque wrench we used and wheter it's accurate and certifiable to 1 millionth of an inch-pound. a "little more then a pint" I'd get a lawyer and sue under the lemon law and diminished value
Old 05-25-2015, 10:10 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
this IS corvette forum where we get ulcers over the torque of a valve cover bolt and 10.000 post's on which torque wrench we used and wheter it's accurate and certifiable to 1 millionth of an inch-pound. a "little more then a pint" I'd get a lawyer and sue under the lemon law and diminished value
Didn’t think I could use the lemon law since it was not the fault of the manufacturer but I’ll get my lawyer who I have on retainer to investigate. By the way, since nothing seems to bother and you obviously know everything why are you on the forum? Move along
Old 05-26-2015, 09:46 AM
JetstreamGS
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 148 Posts

You're fine. Just curious did you check it the way described in the manual?
Old 05-26-2015, 07:31 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Originally Posted by JetstreamGS
You're fine. Just curious did you check it the way described in the manual?
Yes, operating temperature then checked after 5min (engine off) and again at 10 and 15.

Get notified of new replies

To Low oil level - Do I need to worry?

Quick Reply: Low oil level - Do I need to worry?