C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are Aux Oil Pumps (for use prior to start up) Not Used Much?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 12:54 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts
Default Why are Aux Oil Pumps (for use prior to start up) Not Used Much?

Why don't more people use an auxiliary oil pump to establish some oil pressure prior to starting their engine? They are used in large industry.
With all of the discussion on oils & lubrication, the only seemingly item "most" agree on is that a lot of engine wear occurs during start up - prior to the engine driven oil pump supplying pressure.

I've seen them advertised, but they never seemed to have gained wide spread traction (pun intended)...
Old 05-24-2015, 01:59 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Probably because modern well-designed automobile engines like our LS series V8's can very easily and often exceed 100k miles *without* a pre-oiler pump. And for most consumers, thats considered acceptable engine life for a car. It would be strange to hear someone complain about only getting 125k out of their car's engine before a rebuild was necessary, wouldn't it?

Given that, there isn't a lot of incentive to add the increased cost and complexity of a pre-oiler pump, is there?

Last edited by Kent1999; 05-24-2015 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:55 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiselchst
Why don't more people use an auxiliary oil pump to establish some oil pressure prior to starting their engine? They are used in large industry.
With all of the discussion on oils & lubrication, the only seemingly item "most" agree on is that a lot of engine wear occurs during start up - prior to the engine driven oil pump supplying pressure.

I've seen them advertised, but they never seemed to have gained wide spread traction (pun intended)...
thats why the 5w30 so the oil flows instanly upon start up, you push start, the oil flows before it fires, if the car is driven regularly. where do they use those"wide spread in industry"? 3500 hp locomotive engines don't use them, big mining trucks don't use them. locomotives they just don't shut them off unless they need to work on them. go by a rail yard you'll see them lined up idling, I'm a industrial mechanic {millwright} I've seen heaters, but not prepumps, turbo's can use a "pressurized can" that feeds oil to the turbo bearings while it spins down. oh yea a well cared for modern engine will EASILY go past 250,000 miles with no issues especialy with syn oil
Old 05-25-2015, 07:48 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
... where do they use those"wide spread in industry"?

I was citing equipment I've operated in refining; In operation where equipment runs 24/7 for several years straight such as recip/centrifugal compressors, pumps etc. 8000HP and such...

Both posts make good valid points. I wonder how long an engine would go with a pre-lube pump.

Thanks for the replies...
Old 05-25-2015, 09:47 PM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The question of start-up wear has been brought up several times in recent past, mostly in the context of start-up after a long winter storage. I think I asked this same question and most replies were overwhelmingly in the "Stop worrying about stupid stuff" camp. As noted in the owners manual, you can essentially do a pre-lube for every cold start simply by holding the gas pedal at WOT during cranking. The starter will spin the motor but the engine doesn't fire. Of course, the pistons are still moving against compression. Not quite the same as a dedicated pre-lube system…
Old 05-25-2015, 10:46 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Not needed,

If you want to build up oil pressure before the engine fires after a long storage, just push the gas pedal all the way to the floor and hit the start button. The engine will crank for a short period to turn the oil pump, but will not start up.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:20 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

I was citing equipment I've operated in refining; In operation where equipment runs 24/7 for several years straight such as recip/centrifugal compressors, pumps etc. 8000HP and such...

Both posts make good valid points. I wonder how long an engine would go with a pre-lube pump.

Thanks for the replies...
if the equipment runs for 24/7 365 continuesly why would it need such a thing? it's already running.

Get notified of new replies

To Why are Aux Oil Pumps (for use prior to start up) Not Used Much?

Quick Reply: Why are Aux Oil Pumps (for use prior to start up) Not Used Much?