C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers/cats/cam/tune ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 03:48 AM
zee OH sex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers/cats/cam/tune ?'s

Hey guys, I'll start by thanking you for looking. This is a lot of info and I tend to be long winded. I know there are 2000000+ threads all related to the very topics I'll be asking about however, I have made good use of the search bar and it has done nothing more than make my brain hurt. I've read hundreds of threads. I'm more lost now than I was when I started. SO I am creating this thread in hopes that a few knowledgeable and like minded individuals can help in assisting me with straightening out my dilemma listed below as well as answering the questions I have. Please leave negative comments to yourselves. I am not new to this world by any means, I've built a few sub 11 second fox body mustangs and 4th gen LT1 camaro's in the past and owned a 2001 z06 prior to my current c6. With the exception of my z06 the other cars were simply not an all around fun car. That's what brings me to where I am now with my c6. I want something that holds up to some abuse and holds its own on the road track/drag strip but can also go out for ice cream. In my opinion a properly done C6 is just that car! For those of you interested in commenting here and helping me ... Here's what I currently have:
2008 C6 LS3 Z51 Manual trans with 35,550 miles. All stock with the exception of a Halltech CAI and Borla Touring Axle back. I also have 305 rear and 265 front Nitto Invo's.

Here's what I'm shooting for/have going on: The borla touring i have sounds good. Its a really deep, throaty, and clean exhaust note. But it is too quiet for me, I LIKE a loud car. So I am at a bit of a dilemma.... I do plan to drive this car as much as I can. So interior resonance and drone can be annoying for me but I can deal with it as the sound of a bad *** vette is better than the radio to me.... My future plans are header/xpipe, cam, and tune. So I have been thinking once the headers and xpipe go on the car they may increase the decibels a bit and the borla touring may suffice. Especially once I get to cam it. The dilemma is as follows....should I swap out my touring axle back for a b&b bullet or slp loudmouth type setup now, or see how it is with the headers+xpipe through the borla first. I suppose I can always buy a different axle back later if it's still not loud enough for me. The touring might actually end up being nice to help cut back on the drone and interior resonance once the headers and x pipe are on. What do you guys think? Anyone else run into something similar?

On my budget I live comfortably but I don't have $1000's to dump into my car every time I turn around. This will probably take 2 years to complete. I'm estimating that the headers/xpipe will be around $2000 and then the Cam/tune will be about another $2000. I'll be installing the headers myself hopefully by end of July, but I'll be having the cam installed and tune done by the same place some time next year.

Now for my other questions.... I am 100% doing a cam at some point (however i do not ever plan on doing a stroker motor or heads or intake manifold)
1. do you guys suggest a 1 7/8 primary or is the 1 3/4 primary headers still sufficient for basically a cam only ls3?
2 Are these OBX headers actually any good, or should I just stick with the LG/kooks/american racing brands that are all tried and true?
3. To save myself a few $'s here's another question regarding a tune... Since I'm going to be doing this in two separate stages, whats the best way to tune out my cats? Do any of you use MIL eliminators? Or am I boned and I need to have the car tuned after my header install then re-tuned when I do the cam? I know the car will benefit from a tune after the headers but I would rather tune it once, I just don't want to see a check engine light or have any problems prior to the tune.
4.Have any of you used the high flow catted xpipes and had no check engine light issues? I could spend a bit more now on a catted xpipe if it saves me from getting the car tuned twice. But I've heard/read that once installed with 02 sensor harness extensions people still get the check engine light with a high flow catted xpipe. I am well aware even with just CAI headers and xpipe the car will benefit from a tune, but Id rather have it done once when I do the cam if possible.
5. how much power will a stock ls3 clutch hold?
6. final question - routine maintenance on this thing... What do all of you suggest? It's got a new battery and all new pads and rotors in the last 5kmi easy miles. I've done the clutch fluid and will continue to stay up on that, but how about the belts, hoses, and rest of the fluids? What else should I address on this car at this point? Its prior services all obviously contribute to this, but lets just look at it from worse case scenario, I'd rather take extra care of it rather than let things go...but I also don't want to throw $ at it for no apparent reason. Who would?

Thanks again to all of those who take their time to read this and to comment. I value your input.

Last edited by zee OH sex; 05-27-2015 at 05:23 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:39 PM
JakeC6Racing
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll do my best to help you out:

Your first question about replacing the mufflers. I had an SLP loudmouth II on my car with stock cats and a stock cam and the drone inside the car was worse with that than with a cam, Kooks headers/catted-x and Corsa Sports. Way too much drone inside and it was actually quieter outside the car.

1. I went with 1 7/8 headers simply because IF for some reason I add a blower in the future, I don't want to have to change my headers. Generally speaking, people say that 500+ whp go for 1 7/8 and under 500 go for 1 3/4. I have 1 7/8 and I'm only at 467whp and I'm happy with my choice FWIW.

2. OBX headers are hit or miss. Some people love them and others have had issues. I personally went with Kooks because after years of modding I've learned that if I make the right choice the first time, it's actually cheaper than making the wrong choice and changing my mind a bunch of times. Buy right and buy once.

3. You can consider a handheld tuner for just the headers and once the cam is in get a dyno tune. It'll save a couple bucks or you can do what I did. I bought my headers, waited 8 months until I had saved a safe amount of cash for the cam/install and put everything on at once and tuned it. It was a painful wait but saved a few hundred bucks.

4. I have a catted x-pipe and never had a CEL from it.

5. Not sure about the stock ls3 clutch. I have a grand sport so it came with the Z06 clutch. From what I've read, I don't think you'll have an issue with a cam and headers on the stock clutch though.

6. I just go by the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual. I did change all the belts and fluids with the cam install however.

Hope I was able to help a little!
Old 05-27-2015, 08:51 PM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 161 Posts

I have the same car as you. I had borla s-type exhaust with factory cats and manifolds originally. I installed OBX headers w/cats myself. Made a huge difference in how loud the car is. its not super loud, but it gets attention. I am running both 02 sensors with no problems. I also bought a diablo tuner and paid for custom tunes from diablolew. was pretty pleased with the results. btw no problems with OBX headers. saved a ton of money.

from my research, I believe stock clutch should be good up to 600hp depending on how much it might already be worn.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:51 PM
zee OH sex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both of your posts were extremely helpful. Thanks for the replies guys!!
Old 05-28-2015, 11:39 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeC6Racing
...........because after years of modding I've learned that if I make the right choice the first time, it's actually cheaper than making the wrong choice and changing my mind a bunch of times. Buy right and buy once...........
............and I like to add: GO BIG OR GO HOME!

Get notified of new replies

To Headers/cats/cam/tune ?'s

Quick Reply: Headers/cats/cam/tune ?'s