C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plant The Rear...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 10:54 PM
Denis_C6-Z
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Plant The Rear...

Hello,

I have an 06 Z, 55K miles, I would like to make the rear end feel more planted to the road, the car is on current suspension. What are some things I can do to make the rear more planted to the road? Are there upgraded bushings, sway bars or shocks I could replace?
Old 05-28-2015, 03:44 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Think of it this way.

A 911 is power to suspension balanced to make it a surgeon's scalpel on a road coarse.

The vet on the other hand, has more power that what the suspension needs, and is a meat cleaver instead. This allows you to get the car loose to correct a bad line when needed, and even make up the difference of by power instead where you can use it.

Now having said this, GM produced the Vets with lift, so if its grip that seek, then Downforce is the name of the game. Your going to loose some top end, as well as some Mpg from the down force, but the faster you go, the more down force to create more grip of the tires/car to ground.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:26 AM
Denis_C6-Z
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dano523
Think of it this way.

A 911 is power to suspension balanced to make it a surgeon's scalpel on a road coarse.

The vet on the other hand, has more power that what the suspension needs, and is a meat cleaver instead. This allows you to get the car loose to correct a bad line when needed, and even make up the difference of by power instead where you can use it.

Now having said this, GM produced the Vets with lift, so if its grip that seek, then Downforce is the name of the game. Your going to loose some top end, as well as some Mpg from the down force, but the faster you go, the more down force to create more grip of the tires/car to ground.
Appreciate the help. I don't race my car on the track, I've hit the drag strip twice with it so far and I do the occasional highway pulls, when i shift the car from 2nd to 3rd or any gear the back end twerks, would like to correct this if possible or stiffen it up so it isn't twerking out on me. Does that make sense?
Old 05-28-2015, 07:16 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

Not sure what tires your running, but if you have good tires on the car my first choice would be swaybars. I went z06 swaybars, then new shocks, then Johnny o Connell swaybars with phadt featherlights coilovers. .....car is on rails now with ZERO wheel hop/unstable issues. It's not a cheap upgrade but it is some of the best money I've spent on my car.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:12 PM
Denis_C6-Z
Burning Brakes

I have Michelin tires, fairly new. My car is a Z06 so the next step up would be the Johnny kit? The car feels solid right now only would like to reduce the amount it moves when I shift into the next gear. Anyone have a good shock recommendation without going to coil overs? I would love to get rid of wheel hop as well.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:55 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 268 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Denis_C6-Z
I have Michelin tires, fairly new. My car is a Z06 so the next step up would be the Johnny kit? The car feels solid right now only would like to reduce the amount it moves when I shift into the next gear. Anyone have a good shock recommendation without going to coil overs? I would love to get rid of wheel hop as well.
I would check the aligment first before you spend big money. Improper one can make rearend dance with power applications, on throttle and off. I am pretty close to -1.00 camber on the back tires but this tames the rearend (to my satisfaction) when I am in the mood to horse around.

And especially the toe!, should be 0, each tire and total.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:24 PM
Al Gumby
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like you would benefit from a set of DRM Bilstein's.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:57 AM
Denis_C6-Z
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Al Gumby
Sounds like you would benefit from a set of DRM Bilstein's.
They are sold out at the moment. What is the difference between the DRM Bilsteins and the regular Bilsteins he sells?
Old 05-31-2015, 07:11 PM
Al Gumby
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They are sold out at the moment. What is the difference between the DRM Bilsteins and the regular Bilsteins he sells?
They're custom valved just for the C6. Specifically the Z06, I believe. I think it's all described on their web site.

I put some on my base C6 to help with the rear end instability, and they do work.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:24 PM
Denis_C6-Z
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Al Gumby
They're custom valved just for the C6. Specifically the Z06, I believe. I think it's all described on their web site.

I put some on my base C6 to help with the rear end instability, and they do work.
Awesome. I will deff pick up a set when they are in stock again!
Old 05-31-2015, 09:30 PM
SG4206
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gsflyer2011
I would check the aligment first before you spend big money. Improper one can make rearend dance with power applications, on throttle and off. I am pretty close to -1.00 camber on the back tires but this tames the rearend (to my satisfaction) when I am in the mood to horse around.

And especially the toe!, should be 0, each tire and total.
I agree on checking alignment first ,it can do wonders for a bad handling car. Set camber at - 1.0 ; but a +.2 toe total ( toed in) on the rear will keep the rear from stepping out early.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Hello,

I have an 06 Z, 55K miles, I would like to make the rear end feel more planted to the road, the car is on current suspension. What are some things I can do to make the rear more planted to the road? Are there upgraded bushings, sway bars or shocks I could replace?
First, clearly describe what is happening. Are you driving on a bumpy surface? Are you spinning the rear tires or are you just shifting and leaning on the throttle?

If your thrust angle is off you will get a turning motion that will either turn the car left or right depending on which way the rear wheels are pointing.

If the car has too much rear toe in you can get a lot of movement back and forth over a bumpy surface and if you are applying power at the same time the back end can get quite nervous.

The car isn't a drift car so you don't use the throttle to slide the rear around in a corner. That is the slow way around a corner.

Not sure what you mean with the statement the car is on Current Suspension. Do you mean it is stock or modified?

What kind of tires do you have?

Bill
Old 06-01-2015, 11:23 PM
Denis_C6-Z
Burning Brakes

Bill the car is on stock suspension. The main issue I am having is when driving the car hard, shifting from one gear to the next it feels like the *** end would kick sideways, I understand in lower gears that would be ok but going from 3rd to 4th it felt like it kicked out as well. It may be just me getting used to the power but it may be something worn out too. The car goes in for an alignment tomorrow and I have some M&H 325/45/17s on the rear now for an event Friday night. Hopefully the tire helps and can keep the car feeling solid.

Get notified of new replies

To Plant The Rear...

Quick Reply: Plant The Rear...