C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes Pulsating

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 01:59 PM
SSRBOB
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes Pulsating

The brakes on my stock C-6 are pulsating. Just replaced the front rotors and pads but the pulsating continues. Could the rear rotors
possibly be warped and cause this ? This is the third time I've
replaced the front rotors. They seem to last about a year and then the
pulsating returns. Any ideas ?

Thanks
Old 06-03-2015, 02:57 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Without being able to inspect them I have to say it is unlikely that your rotors are warping....and rotors definitely don't wear out and need replacing like you've done.

If you haven't already done so, take a good look at the rotors to see if there are blue or black spots/areas on them. Most likely you have an uneven buildup of pad material on the rotors which causes the pulsing. If that's the case, and maybe even if it isn't apparent, try doing a proper bedding of the pads. Tell us what kind of pads you have and we can probably tell you the procedure, or at least a good general procedure that should work.

Check this discussion for more info:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ck-rotors.html
Old 06-03-2015, 05:15 PM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

Check your run out on your rotors with a dial indicator.

Did you make sure the interface between the hub and the rotor was clean and flat?

DJ
Old 06-04-2015, 12:19 AM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I've read many explanations that rotors don't warp but they do get bedded in improperly leaving imperfections on the rotor surface from the pad material that feel like pulsing and thus "warping". I think the fix is to swap out the pads for a set of semi-metallic pads and bedding them in properly to remove any of the previous pad. Or resurfacing the rotors.

Stoptech has a good write up of it here: http://stoptech.com/technical-suppor...nd-other-myths
Old 06-04-2015, 07:16 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

All the above is good advice. I will say that when I replaced pads (not rotors) on my '08 "just because" years ago, the bedding in process was very, very limited. Maybe it was the pads, and maybe it was the tech doing the work, but it really didn't need more and that's been true for the past 40K miles since installation. That isn't necessarily the way it is with other pads.

I think you need to do one of the techniques above, at least in a limited way, to bed in the pads with the rotors. And sometimes with other cars, I have found if your brakes begin to squeak, you need to hit it hard (in a safe manner, under safe conditions---no one following you within a car length) to rub off some deposits.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:31 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Sounds like a high spot on the rotator or pad. Does it just pulsate when applied? Sometimes the corner of the pad and rotor rub.

In another recent thread a member had an similar issue and it turned out to be a sticky caliper pin.

Last edited by Boomer111; 06-05-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:36 AM
SSRBOB
Navigator

How do you "Bed in the pads" ? Presently, I'm planning on replacing the rear rotors and pads this weekend. We shall see if this solves the problem.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:43 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Take a look at the post by kevinkar and the stoptech brake url. It's long-ish, and somewhat complicated to do since you have to find a good, quiet, long stretch of road(s), but it does do the job.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:26 AM
zali0104
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The two main thing that can cause brake pedal pulsation. The most frequent cause is " rotor thickness variation. " This occurs about 100 miles after rotor becomes warped and the high spots wear down and the pads move in and out as it passes over rotor surface. Rotor warping usually occurs after driving through water with hot brakes. Also rotor quality has a lot to do with it. The cheap crap from china is poor quality iron and from my 22 years experience as a mechanic can testify to that. I recommend the the dealer stuff or aftermarket steel.
You may also want to inspect your wheel bearings. Worn bearings cause the rotot to move laterally between the brake pads resulting in brake pedal pulsation.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:00 AM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 4-post lift in my garage, and I use a magnetic mounted dial indicator to check runout on each rotor every time I do a brake job on any car. It's easy to get a piece of rust or crud between the hub and rotor, which will cause excessive runout.

Here's a pic of the basic method, which is very simple. I try for .001" to 002" maximum runout.... NOTE: in this pic (Ford F150), the rotor is attached to the hub, but if it was loose, then I would secure it with lug nuts.

Additionally, you need to clean the rotors thoroughly (with brake cleaner prior to installation. Often times there is rust preventative of some sort on the rotor, which must be cleaned off. And be EXTRA careful not to get greasy hands on t he clean rotor!

My last suggestion would be the actual tightening of the lug nuts. Snug them all lightly, then tighten in two or three steps, using criss-cross pattern to specified torque (using torque wrench). I see guys all the time who hammer the first lug nut home with impact driver, and then they slam the other lug nuts down, unaware that they may have caused a distortion in the rotor by the uneven clamping force.

-
Old 06-09-2015, 04:08 PM
SSRBOB
Navigator

Replaced rear rotors and pads over the weekend. Problem fixed. No more pulsing.
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.
Bob
Old 06-09-2015, 06:28 PM
Delbert
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Might check for worn/loose tie led ends. Been known the contribute to wheel shake when braking. Always check for warped rotors first!
Old 06-10-2015, 09:37 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Even new rotors and pads can have mating issues.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:04 PM
Skanlez
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey everyone, I know that this might be an old thread but had a question. I recently started getting pulsing while braking and read that the rotors may need to get turned. I called my local chevy service center and the Corvette expert says that rotors on a C6 Z06 cannot be turned and if bad will need replacing. Is this true?

I called them to find out how much it would cost to have them turned and that's what they told me. I recently had a mechanic check my brakes when I slapped on new tires and they said it was fine. So I'm sort of lost. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:03 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

They can be turned. The issue is finding someone to do it, many won't.

Be sure it's not pad deposits causing the sensation before you cut/replace them.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:32 PM
Skanlez
Racer

Originally Posted by NY09C6

Be sure it's not pad deposits causing the sensation before you cut/replace them.
Thank you for the quick response. I'll call around.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:42 PM
Skanlez
Racer

Originally Posted by NY09C6

Yup, called another shop that I usually go to and said they'd do it for around $150.

Get notified of new replies

To Brakes Pulsating

Old 07-20-2017, 07:39 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

I truly hope that the $150 isn't the price to turn 2 rotors !!!

It used to run about $10/rotor to have them cut (that's you bringing the rotor to the machine shop) - now it's typically $20 - $25/rotor.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:16 PM
Skanlez
Racer

Originally Posted by Purple92
I truly hope that the $150 isn't the price to turn 2 rotors !!!

It used to run about $10/rotor to have them cut (that's you bringing the rotor to the machine shop) - now it's typically $20 - $25/rotor.
It actually is for 2 rotors. I called another shop down the street from my place and they quoted me somewhere around $200.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:31 PM
Skanlez
Racer

Just spoke to another shop that said he chages $20 a rotor but said if they are drilled or slotted (which the Z06 is drilled) that they cant be resurfaced.

is this true?

Quick Reply: Brakes Pulsating