C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1/4 Mile Noob here!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 01:24 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Pitufina
I feel like I have enough things to do before I go to the track, so taking off the passenger seat is not a priority for me. Plus my lower back is messed up and removing the seat is somewhat awkward.

I personally feel that the main killers of the clutches on these cars is not only the heat but the lack of low gearing.
I was just bugging you about the seat

I agree with you and it's even a more a problem with the long z06 gears that I have that 2.66 1st that's capable of over 60 MPH with the 3.42 puts tremendous stress on that clutch.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:12 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rpmextra
I was just bugging you about the seat

I agree with you and it's even a more a problem with the long z06 gears that I have that 2.66 1st that's capable of over 60 MPH with the 3.42 puts tremendous stress on that clutch.
It's all good

Please don't give up on your search for a better PB. Your improved driving skills along with your car are very impressive!! I'll be looking forward for the next track outing post.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:30 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Hey James, did you give yourself the flat shift mod? If so, how are you measuring shift times? I always use the throttle position to measure.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:26 AM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Hey James, did you give yourself the flat shift mod? If so, how are you measuring shift times? I always use the throttle position to measure.
Umm, you're 2005 won't have a clutch position sensor so who can't see clutch 0-100% which would measure just like you TP%

You can look at your timing advance.....it should cut at the shift
Old 10-09-2015, 01:07 AM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Pitufina
It's all good

Please don't give up on your search for a better PB. Your improved driving skills along with your car are very impressive!! I'll be looking forward for the next track outing post.
I'll never give up as I have a new Goal.....problem is however, I'm unfortunately down for the season. I just gave my spot for MIR up for grabs as I just can't weather the financial hit of every expense in the last little while.....2 clutches, 2 slaves, new Drag radials, front skinnies, and a couple other little things....plus MIR would mean a 4 day truck rental, 4 day trailer rental, gas for a 20hr drive, 2 nights at a hotel and food.....just can't do it. Especially since I have yet to hear anything from centerforce about the dyad. I have sent 2 very Canadian polite emails with nothing

New goal on the Horizon is a 9.9x while remaining N/A. I am currently studying my options and will tweak my set-up and eagerly await next season. I will say that the new ZR1 clutch is in my possession. Jason from Katech did me solid once again and I will be ready for next season with some serious launching that was missed last weekend. Hopefully everyone stays subscribed as you can be sure this won't be the last time you see a new best from me.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:26 AM
BayAreaSS
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Unfortunately when you race a lot and launch hard you'll end up taking financial hits regularly. Don't let the track goals kill your pockets because in the end it's just a hobby haha... Good luck on your quest for 9s. It won't be easy but you have the dedication to do it
The following 2 users liked this post by BayAreaSS:
Is2scooby (10-11-2015), rpmextra (10-09-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 02:04 AM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
Unfortunately when you race a lot and launch hard you'll end up taking financial hits regularly. Don't let the track goals kill your pockets because in the end it's just a hobby haha... Good luck on your quest for 9s. It won't be easy but you have the dedication to do it
Well part of the issue really was walking away from the katech clutch and buying a different clutch hoping to gain more. The Katech clutch has a repair kit which is more than reasonable priced at touch under 700$. Moving away from it also made me repurchase a brand new GM z06 slave that now I no longer need after a week (200) as I'm going back to the Zr1. The other big factor which is really the biggest, is that I have been on unemployment since April 5th and just started back to work last week. Our neighbors at the shop had a fire which spread to our side causing what seemed to be minimal damage however the insurance company dragged their behinds and took months to repair. Still haven't received my first full pay yet which is next week. And finally my good friend Mike said he'd bring me down with his cummins and 24ft enclosed trailer if he didn't sell his house. Figured it was for sale for 3 yrs and I'd be ok......well he's leaving out west at the end of October as an offer went through and the new owner wants in asap.

Next season I'll keep at her with a few tweaks and much more knowledge. I understand a 9 won't be easy but considering a few small calculations/corrections I'm not far off if I can duplicate that 10.37 pass but with a 1.45 60 rather than the 1.60 that I did with the clutch swap (1.46 PB at the moment). however, I just may have to wait all summer to get to this time of year to see this kinda DA again.....it's really optimal right now and a little disappointing I'm missing out these next few weeks and MIR.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:34 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Umm, you're 2005 won't have a clutch position sensor so who can't see clutch 0-100% which would measure just like you TP%

You can look at your timing advance.....it should cut at the shift
I do have a clutch switch, but I never scanned for it. Good point on the timing advance, that'd work.

And you are making the right decision on this. Didn't know about the issues at hand but family comes first. You are a hard working dude - bust hump over the winter and you'll be ready for spring!

Maybe you should try to bank a little extra to come visit with your lovely wife and daughter in FL - we have a huge Canadian contingent in Fort Lauderdale, the "Je me Souviens" plates take over in the winter down here!
Old 10-09-2015, 10:10 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I do have a clutch switch, but I never scanned for it. Good point on the timing advance, that'd work.
Pretty sure LS3 and newer cars have an actual sensor that can actually detect clutch position (not just a switch that is on/off).

I haven't been able to find much info on it though
Old 10-09-2015, 11:50 AM
BayAreaSS
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Well part of the issue really was walking away from the katech clutch and buying a different clutch hoping to gain more. The Katech clutch has a repair kit which is more than reasonable priced at touch under 700$. Moving away from it also made me repurchase a brand new GM z06 slave that now I no longer need after a week (200) as I'm going back to the Zr1. The other big factor which is really the biggest, is that I have been on unemployment since April 5th and just started back to work last week. Our neighbors at the shop had a fire which spread to our side causing what seemed to be minimal damage however the insurance company dragged their behinds and took months to repair. Still haven't received my first full pay yet which is next week. And finally my good friend Mike said he'd bring me down with his cummins and 24ft enclosed trailer if he didn't sell his house. Figured it was for sale for 3 yrs and I'd be ok......well he's leaving out west at the end of October as an offer went through and the new owner wants in asap.

Next season I'll keep at her with a few tweaks and much more knowledge. I understand a 9 won't be easy but considering a few small calculations/corrections I'm not far off if I can duplicate that 10.37 pass but with a 1.45 60 rather than the 1.60 that I did with the clutch swap (1.46 PB at the moment). however, I just may have to wait all summer to get to this time of year to see this kinda DA again.....it's really optimal right now and a little disappointing I'm missing out these next few weeks and MIR.
I'm sorry to hear about all the setbacks. I agree it's prime time for racing but it's definitely not a priority. I think we've all analyzed our slips to see what we "think" we can run. My best 60fts haven't been paired with my best et. The track never works like we want it too as far as all the right things happening on one pass
Old 10-09-2015, 12:14 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
I'm sorry to hear about all the setbacks. I agree it's prime time for racing but it's definitely not a priority. I think we've all analyzed our slips to see what we "think" we can run. My best 60fts haven't been paired with my best et. The track never works like we want it too as far as all the right things happening on one pass

There is no such thing as a perfect pass. Minimizing mistakes under good conditions yields great results.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:33 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Pretty sure LS3 and newer cars have an actual sensor that can actually detect clutch position (not just a switch that is on/off).

I haven't been able to find much info on it though
I believe it's 07 and up. I can see position % from 0-100% as I mentioned. I measure in in clutch our.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:51 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GARY2004Z06

There is no such thing as a perfect pass. Minimizing mistakes under good conditions yields great results.
Hey Gary, glad you chimed in. I understand 10 fold there is no "perfect pass" but I am consistantly capable of hitting much better 60fts with my previous clutch. Would have been nice to see the DA I expierenced and track prep with my current set up but with my old clutch. As Joe and rob followed me from the beginning I can at least say that a 1.50 60ft was pretty standard procedure and saw a best 1.58 out of maybe 20 attempts with the new clutch. It was fustrating to saw the least. Either way I will make some improvements........not to the extent I achieved this season but some nontheless.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and simpathy, I had had a heck of a ride going from 11.77 to 10.35 via the "driver mod" already can't wait for next season.

Joe I would love come down eventually and I'm working like like a horse right now for a few new additions to the current setup. It's gonna be great.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:58 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I really can't believe you dropped that much just from improving technique (I know it's true.. just saying, that is huge).

Based on that, I'm sure to be disappointed if I ever get mine to the track
Old 10-09-2015, 02:03 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Well James...as Jackie Gleason said (you're probably too young)... you've got a friend in Miami!
Old 10-09-2015, 02:11 PM
OneMoreVet
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well James...as Jackie Gleason said (you're probably too young)... you've got a friend in Miami!
And away we go!

Looking forward to next seasons new PB rpmextra.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:24 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by OneMoreVet
And away we go!

To the moon Alice!!

Get notified of new replies

To 1/4 Mile Noob here!

Old 10-09-2015, 04:07 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

To the moon Alice!!
Old 10-09-2015, 09:03 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by schpenxel
I really can't believe you dropped that much just from improving technique (I know it's true.. just saying, that is huge).

Based on that, I'm sure to be disappointed if I ever get mine to the track
Thanks man! Maybe I am in the mix for rookie of the year.
Got on the fastlist and think I'm top 15th. I have yet to post the 10.37 pass as at least have a full slip. the 10.35 I have only has the ET and not sure even with the video proof it's acceptable with the trap speed missing and all.

yup too young lol, but I did fully understand that I got a friend in Miami. I am aware of fort L.....many in my area head there all winter

Originally Posted by OneMoreVet
And away we go!

Thanks for following

Originally Posted by GARY2004Z06
LOL
Old 11-27-2015, 10:36 PM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

wow, a TON of good info in here! Going to have to read it a few times to really digest it, as I really wasn't understanding what I was seeing in the graphs and such.

Quick Reply: 1/4 Mile Noob here!