C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1/4 Mile Noob here!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 11:40 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

Just touching base with guys. Finished the ZR1 twin disc clutch install last night. Drove very little today and was very easy on it due to the break in procedure. The pedal feels about the same, maybe it's just me but maybe even a little softer. Engages well and flushing out that Dot4 clutch fluid did a lot of good. that remote bleeder kit is great and now the gears shift like butter. Dyno still on for Tuesday and will let you guys know how that goes. Day at the track next Saturday if weather permits. Thanks again everyone
Old 06-27-2015, 10:16 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Sounds great. If you can, get some miles this weekend before the dyno, they put strain on a clutch too. Not as much as a drag strip of course, but break in miles are always a good idea.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:10 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

yes definitely was planning about a 300km run to help with that. the install sheet specifically states from Katech
150 miles for N/A
300 miles for boosted
no more than 50% throttle, no dyno, no racing.

i wouldn't chance all that work. i hated the car for about an hour trying to line up the engine and pilot shaft by myself. of course my friends are no where to be found when i need a hand lol. but got it done
Old 06-27-2015, 12:51 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Believe me I know what you mean... stabbing that torque tube home is a bear. I'm impressed you got it done by yourself!

Last edited by Joe_G; 06-27-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:07 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Believe me I know what you mean... stabbing that torque tube home is a bear. I'm impressed yiygot it done by yourself!
lol thanks. I have been a tech now about 14yrs, and have a nice set up at home. I lowered the front cradle and motor mount bolts and tilted the engine so that i could come at it at an angle. trying to go straight proved impossible due to the rear aligning pins for the rear cradle as it would snag on the pins and studs. i guess all those years of working out paid off with the heavy mother. maybe that's the driver mod i need. loose some mass haha currently 235lb.

I have done a few clutches on C5's and found them much easier. the bellhousing has more access, the slave disconnect is better situated, and i never lowered and tilted the engine to line it back up.

Can't say it's hard, it's a long job that needs attention to detail. wouldn't recommend a apprentice to tackle it though. i did a clutch on a 96 vr6 passat a yr or 2 ago, lets just say never again and bring on the vettes lol.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:24 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Last time I did one with a buddy we had to have our friend who is a tech come help us out to get it done. He used a trick like you mentioned that comes from years of doing it every day and making your money beating the book time for the job.

That is a great home setup.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:40 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Last time I did one with a buddy we had to have our friend who is a tech come help us out to get it done. He used a trick like you mentioned that comes from years of doing it every day and making your money beating the book time for the job.

Thanks again. Problem solving comes with experience for sure. I am a humble person and if I don't know something I will ask. That's why I am here, figured I could learn tons from guys like you to better my track skills. Just cause I'm a good tech doesn't automatically make me john force lol. I have noticed many mechanics think they are pro drivers but the time i spend at the strip and local circuit track has made me understand there is a whole other world out there. Kinda like thinking you could win a fight in the UFC because you knocked a guy out once in a bar.

My home set-up is looking really messy after a few big jobs lately but usually looks like this

Well looking more and more forward to getting some track time, video's and HPT data logging for you. I know I said already but thank you so much for the offer. I see some negatively on the forums sometimes and wish it was more populated with guys like you. I always try to help in the tech area if I can supply R&R procedures or wiring diagrams i do, but driving is not my strong suit just yet.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:18 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

I've learned the hard way too, many times. lol
Old 06-27-2015, 03:26 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Get her broken in so we can help you beat on it.
It helps that us retired guys need someone to live through. lol
Old 06-28-2015, 06:46 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by robz
I've learned the hard way too, many times. lol
ROBZ learning the hard way only means that you'll never forget
Old 06-28-2015, 07:03 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rpmextra
ROBZ learning the hard way only means that you'll never forget
True words of wisdom.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:17 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, I can be smart sometimes .

I am just about ready to let you guys help me beat it (doesn't sound good lol) did about 200km (125miles) on it so far. nice drive last night. shifts nice with no chatter. gonna do a run tonight and some tomorrow for good measure. Break in will not be cut short for the dyno on Tuesday. can't wait to see numbers. I know livernois put down 628 with the package but on dynojet where I'll be on a mustang. I know it's only for bragging rights but it would confirm I got what I paid and worked for that's all. Hopefully next weekend is nice (Saturday) I'll be at the track for the day if so. I'll let you know what happens on Tuesday Never brought a car on a dyno, it's kinda exciting.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:32 PM
kufan121
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great help! I can appreciate being humble, as I am in my first Corvette (procharged) at that. I cant get enough! Seems like drag racing is a lost art with all these tracks closing (especially in KS)!
Old 06-29-2015, 03:09 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kufan121
Great help! I can appreciate being humble, as I am in my first Corvette (procharged) at that. I cant get enough! Seems like drag racing is a lost art with all these tracks closing (especially in KS)!
Yeah it's seems to be the case. My local track is a very short bumpy track but with a 5min drive i'm there and make the best of it. (ottawa Canada area) with the help of these guru's i'll hopefully do the best i can and then head out to napierville (quebec)which has a really nice track that's about 2hrs away. not much choice around but that's where id likely get a PB record. but i can still perfect my skill set here locally, and it's nice to know if i break im 5min from home.

For me and drag racing, I am not interested in racing others, well not at the moment. I wanna race myself and keep getting better. Maybe for those who have a 2 speed powerglide, trans brake, and 1000s of passes might get bored because it becomes so predictable. For me driving a stick, knowing I'm driving bad, and that I can improve, I find it so exciting. every run i feel like ok let's do this, let's beat my previous best. It never gets old for. and if it does, change something on the car.....make it new again.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:24 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Yeah it's seems to be the case. My local track is a very short bumpy track but with a 5min drive i'm there and make the best of it. (ottawa Canada area) with the help of these guru's i'll hopefully do the best i can and then head out to napierville (quebec)which has a really nice track that's about 2hrs away. not much choice around but that's where id likely get a PB record. but i can still perfect my skill set here locally, and it's nice to know if i break im 5min from home.

For me and drag racing, I am not interested in racing others, well not at the moment. I wanna race myself and keep getting better. Maybe for those who have a 2 speed powerglide, trans brake, and 1000s of passes might get bored because it becomes so predictable. For me driving a stick, knowing I'm driving bad, and that I can improve, I find it so exciting. every run i feel like ok let's do this, let's beat my previous best. It never gets old for. and if it does, change something on the car.....make it new again.
You might want to contact Sébast19X he has set some records in his z06 and I think races at the quebec track if my memory serves? Perhaps he can coach you at the track which is the best advice. I have coached a few folks to their PB and I remember when Ranger came to my track he coached 4 people that night to a new PB.

Here's Ranger critiquing one of my launches..this was on stock heads when 10.99 was my pb.

The following users liked this post:
rpmextra (09-14-2015)
Old 06-29-2015, 03:38 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

wow thanks I'll definitely look him up to see where he goes. That launch was great. Man I don't even drink but I'd love nothing more than to buy you guys a round and share a beer with you's. I have been checking out ranger for a year before I even bought the car. I worked day and night to be able to achieve my dream and would watch his video of the 10.71 pass at least a few times a week. bought it Jan 2014 and still watch it here and there lol.

I'm at 330km plus the 20km run to the dyno in the morning so that will be approx 220miles so the break in is good.

Btw since you know him personally or a least met him, did his DVD ever come out. I have never got an answer from him, youtube, or here. was supposed to release 2011.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:45 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

wow thanks I'll definitely look him up to see where he goes. That launch was great. Man I don't even drink but I'd love nothing more than to buy you guys a round and share a beer with you's. I have been checking out ranger for a year before I even bought the car. I worked day and night to be able to achieve my dream and would watch his video of the 10.71 pass at least a few times a week. bought it Jan 2014 and still watch it here and there lol.

I'm at 330km plus the 20km run to the dyno in the morning so that will be approx 220miles so the break in is good.

Btw since you know him personally or a least met him, did his DVD ever come out. I have never got an answer from him, youtube, or here. was supposed to release 2011.

No, Ranger's been AWOL from the forum for a couple of years now, rumor is he's back out defending our freedoms...whether true or not I don't know! His DVD never came out unfortunately nor has the website been updated for a while. I hope he paid a 20 year plan for that website as I refer folks to it all the time.

Great to hear how you followed your dream to get your Vette. Had a similar story with my c5.

Thanks again for your kind words - it wasn't my best launch, if you want to check out my other launches, search jmgathg on youtube. Lately I've been into my Harleys so there are some other vids in there, but load more and you'll see a lot of launches if you're interested.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jmgathg

Get notified of new replies

To 1/4 Mile Noob here!

Old 06-29-2015, 04:12 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Oh really, well let's prey that he's ok.

Yeah I had a 93 trans am that I was planning to build something really mean. drove a vette a work, woke up the next day and said to myself, never mind the T/A I wanna vette. I had my heart set on a C6Z and just found a way to make it happen. it's not a C7 or a Zr1 but it's what I wanted. I didn't settle. I wanted N/A. Something about all motor to mean seems more satisfying when get great numbers imo. maybe boost later on but I'm having enough trouble using the power I have now lol

Congrats to you for fighting to obtain yours. People who don't, with-in reason of course, are just not determined enough. I get a lot of oh must be nice, but then quickly remind them they probably make more that me lol. I'm just good with money lol

i will definitely check your video's out. this might sound crazy but I close my eyes and listen to the ranger videos. I like to imagine the shifts and doing the movements in my head. My wife probably thinks I'm a mental case lol.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:17 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

That's not crazy at all, I did the same - the cadence and sound is critical to me. I don't even watch the tach when racing, I know the sound and it's amazing when I look at my scans how consistently I shift at 6800. You will get that way too, it just takes some practice.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:51 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

glad to know you're crazy too lolololol

so what should my plan be for this weekend. chatting between runs may prove impossible and you guys have the 4th of July so enjoy that . Canada day is Wednesday for us .

What launch rpm should I use and should I increase in 200rpm increments until we find the sweet spot. say 2 passes per??

Tire pressure rear 17psi cold
front ???
Traction control off right, competitive mode or off fully?
We said redline shifting, keep engine cool between runs.

I will mount gopro so you can see cluster, and record data logs using HPtuners. i'm a sponge

thanks a million

Quick Reply: 1/4 Mile Noob here!